“A Perfectacly Acceptable Stay”

Olimpiyat Otel Izmir
Ranked #25 of 98 Hotels in Izmir
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

The Good:
- Service from the front desk was great. Very friendly and go out of their way to help out.
- Rooms were fine. Beds comfy enough and furniture somewhat new (maybe this was just our room though - 109)
- Value. Good budget choice for Izmir.
- Brekky - while nothing special it was satisfying and got us on our way.

The Bad:
- Our booking was based on location and parking availability. Both of these boxes were ticked. Nothing wrong with location but the "private parking" wasn't really what I was expecting. It is the old part of town so streets are narrow... However it really was just parking on the old cobbled streets in front of the hotel so someone can look after it. No problems when woke up in the morning other than being completely parked in which was resolved quickly enough but it wasn't what I was expecting for oeuvre parking.

The Ugly:
- Noise. Walls are thin and despite being in the old town there's still plenty of road traffic. Then the TV in the lobby was playing Turkish MTV way too loud while were trying to sleep. It cut off around midnight I guess. I was exhausted so actually managed to fall asleep with my earplugs in.
- Cigarette smoke. It's everywhere in the lobby and then you would get wafts of it under your door. Just no need for it guys.

Would I recommend this place? Probably not. If you had no other choice in Izmir then yeah go for it but surely there's better run places.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I've stayed in this hotel twice, 2012 and 2013 years, both in summer. And I can say it was awesome! Staff is very friendly and helpful, they're always help you if you need something. Rooms are very cozy, towels and bed linen always clear. There is even hair-drier in the bathroom) Breakfast is good - especially fresh bread... Also, great location - Basmane is about 5 minutes on foot, bazaar Kemeralti is about 10 min.
Actually, I was very surprised reading bad reviews, because my days in Olimpiyat were great.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Yustina_1987
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was one of the worst hotels I have stayed at. It was dirty and shabby. The room was small and uncomfortable. The bathroom looked as if it hadn't been cleaned properly for a long time and I just didn't want to use it. The staff were smoking all the time and the whole place including my room stunk of cigarettes. Lastly the breakfast was meagre and poor quality.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rosalindantonette
Reviewed 24 March 2013

- This hotel is a good place to stay for a weekend trip.
- Staff at the reception was really helpful and very friendly. When we checked out we got a little present, which really surprised us.
- Rooms are pretty small, the bathroom even more (I think it's not suitable for very tall people).
- The location was alright, close to Basmane station where you can take the Izban and trains for example for going to Efes.
- Clean: more or less.
- Breakfast was a typical turkish one, with çay, nescafe or juice as beverages.

Overall it was ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arual22
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I've stayed 4 nights in September 2012. Great well come and friendly staff. Hotel's location is very easy to reach everywhere. Single room and bathroom was too small but at this price it is ok.
Train station and underground is 2 min. walking distance. You can take a bus or walk about 15-20 min. to find the nightlife in Kordon.
The place "Basmane" (where the hotel is) could be rarely dangerous, Local people say it used to be in the past but not any more.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Baris C
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I won't book this place again..
1. People were smoking in the hallway and it leaked into my room.

2. Rundown building and rundown supplies. The room had bed and bathroom so it had what I needed but bathroom was very tiny and smelly. The sink was the size of my face. Towels were visibly overused. I was afraid to use it because I didn't want it to get ripped while wiping my hands. The soap was used as well. It had "we ome" on the soap.

3. Neighborhood. The streets can get confusing in this area and the hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the main road. At night, those narrow streets looked a bit sketchy.

4. Basic language. There were younger person and the older person at the front desk when I checked-in. The younger person understood most of necessary questions (e.g., how to get to airport, check out time, etc) but the older person didn't speak English much at all. I didn't see the younger person after I checked-in. But both were very nice people. Probably this is only reason I give it two instead of one.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SunnyBunny486
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We did read good and bad reviews for this hotel, so we didn't know what to expect. We were truly pleasantly surprised. We were greeted in a very friendly and helpful manner at the front desk when we arrived and they knew who we were considering we had a reservation. The room was cozy, the breakfeast very acceptable and the whole atmosphere very amicable. The hotel is very clean and you feel there is an additional effort for decoration. We found the area animated and full of surprises, as this is truly an area for the full immersion into turkish daily life in a large city. It was obvious also to understand that the area can be not so safe later at night when restaurants and shops close as we many rough individuals with seemingly nothing to do just hang around around a small park one street away from the hotel. The Bismane train station is just a few minutes away, which was very convenient for us.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple