“Absolute disappointment. Wedding day blues.”

Movenpick Hotel Izmir
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Izmir
Reviewed 4 April 2014

First off, I haven't even stayed at the Izmir Moevenpick! This review is to simply share my disappointment with the reservation staff and the other teams involved in my booking inquiry.
So, I was looking to book the biggest and finest suite, during one night in May 2014. You would assume that the top price paid for the King Suite would entitle you to a well-cared for experience, wouldn't you?
It was to be the evening of my wedding night, and I requested that I had an interest in having some light food brought up, and inquired about the possibility of in-room bar service, so I could host some guests. The suite is over 80m2, so you wouldn't think that having some people in would be a problem!
First I was told there would be a charge for extra people (not to STAY overnight in the room, which would have been reasonable, and not for the catering services, which is also reasonable, but just for them to visit!!!), then I was told that it was simply not possible. I suggested that my guests and I perhaps make a reservation at the hotel bar, and was told a flat NO.
All of this is happening through emails, over the course of DAYS even though I made it clear that I wasn't able to use a phone, and would be relying on checking emails regularly as to complete the plans as fast as possible.
There was no problem solving from their end. As someone who has been in sales and customer service, you would expect staff to try to upsell you to a meeting room, or -what I was hoping for- just name a charge to have the use of a portion of the bar. Anything. But no.
After prompting them with another email, again expressing my desire to complete the transaction as quickly as possible, I got a simple and trite email explaining that the carpet was being replaced on the ninth floor, and that I wouldn't be able to book the King suite that day. What? Really, you're doing renovations over a weekend? That's not good practice if you're in the service industry! Nothing after that.
The sad thing is (and I mentioned this in my mails) that I was getting help, and offers from both Swissotel and the Hilton, and now the Wyndham! All for the same request! I haven't made my decision yet, but I know it will be with a hotel that shows the finest service, especially for its premium guests.
It's just too bad that Moevenpick didn't want my business. I've been a Moevenpick guest in several spots in Europe, with great satisfaction. I love the food, the amenities, and the Moevenpick brand, but I'm just shocked that Izmir Moevenpick isn't like the rest.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brigitte J
ExecIzm, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Brigitte J,
First of all we are very sorry for your disapointment concerning our staff.
I must say that we usually known for our hospitality. I apologise that there appears to have been a misunderstanding. I don't know if my collegue told you about our procedures on the phone. I'll try to explain some of them.
It is not possible to book our king suite for a party. Because we are a 5 star business hotel and we have to think about our other guest's comfort too.
And I want to inform you that to organize a private party at our hotel bar, your guaranteed number should be over 50 pax.

I am very sorry that we failed to meet some of your expectations but I hope that you will give us a chance to welcome you.

Merih Hasaltun-PR Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is perfectly located within walking distance of the Kordon restaurants along the shoreline, the markets in Konak and the Alsancak area. The staff were very friendly. The rooms were great. The exercise facility with a steam room are very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
ExecIzm, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Bob,
Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to share your feedback.
I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the friendliness of our staff.
It is our goal to fully exceed your expectations the next time your travels bring you back this way. Your feedback in invaluable and we thank you very much.

Hope to see you again at your home in Izmir.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

PROS:
Confort
Location
Service overall
Breakfast variety
Food in the restaurant
Internet speed
Friendly staff

CONS:
Poor english, most of the staff
Cigaratte smell on non-smoking rooms (2nd floor)

SHORT REVIEW
There´s nothing special to say about my stay in this hotel, everything was ok, the rooms are not wide, but enough and offering everything that could be required on a business trip.
Staff are friendly and helpfull, just a improvement on the english would be appreciated.
Just one thing I think must be reported, I stayed on 2nd floor (non-smoking as requested) but during the evening before get sleep I felt the smell of cigarette on my room, not very intense, but for who is not a smoker enought to be distinguished.
I reported to the reception the smell, and I was informed that on the 1st floor (floor under mine) was the smoking floor, that´s why I could feel the smell on my room. So if you don´t want to have the same experience as I, you should ask for other level.

Room Tip: if you are looking for a non-smoking room, avoid 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Henrique d

Dear Henrique,
Thank you for your feedback and we do apologize sincerely for the cigarette smell in your room. That certainly should not have happened and I appreciate your extra time and efforts in giving us the detailed information. According to the new tobacco law, smoking is not permitted in our hotel except for in the 60 smoking rooms. But it is not possible to smell the cigarette from 2nd floor.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
I am very sorry to hear that the staff didn't meet your expectations.
It is our goal to fully exceed your expectations the next time your travels bring you back this way. Your feedback in invaluable ,and we thank you very much .
We are really very sorry for your disapointement.
Any criticism is always welcomed to improve our services, So thank you very much again for your comments.

We will be glad to host you again at our hotel in Mövenpick Hotel Izmir during your future visits.

Merih Hasaltun-PR MANAGER

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed in the 5* Movenpick for 4 nights on a recent business trip to Izmir. The hotel is right in the middle of the city and a 2 minutes walk to the seafront. Parking is difficult but they have a good valet parking service. The hotel is at the junction of two main roads on a very large roundabout and can be noisy on the lower floor bedrooms. The rooms are triple glazed which cuts down on noise.
Staff are efficient rather than friendly but that's perhaps the Swiss way. Check-in and check-out were fast and uncomplicated. Breakfast buffet had a good choice but the hot-food was always cold on the four mornings I had breakfast. Rooms are very small but well equipped. Wi-fi is free and unlike so many free offerings, this connection was fast and reliable. For eating out there is very large choice along the seafront and the main pedestrian area is a 15 minute walk away where again there are a large choice of local restaurants. I probably would not stay there again as there is a large choice of other good value international hotels in Izmir.

Room Tip: High floor away from the street noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ExecIzm, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a feedback after your stay in Mövenpick Hotel Izmir. We are delighted to hear that you loved our location and the well equipped room. Regarding our staff, we usually get compliments for our very friendly staff and we hope that we will be able to prove of our friendliness next time you visit us. Your comments will be analyzed in order to improve if and where needed.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon back again.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We went to izmir for weekend and about this hotel I can say it was so clean,the room service was perfect,the reception are so helpful and friendly,the location is superb ! because you can reach most of popular place by walking. Me and my wife are so Satisfied with movenpick Izmir and Doha hotels.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
ExecIzm, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Arashyou,
Thank you very much for taking time to fill in our guest survey and for your nice review! It is always a pleasure for us to get nice comments and we are really happy that you appreciate our efforts! It is very important for us to keep the charm of our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you again!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

lovely place, close to the ferry port, with a nice view. unfortunately not very high on the English language! easy to upgrade to the executive lounge, they are not big on food and portions are small, service due to language constraints not bright, still a good stay

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Heilavh,

Thank you very much for your stay in our Mövenpick Hotel and your feedback.
I am very sorry to hear that our staff didn't meet your expectations. I'll inform our management team about your comment.

Please be assured that your comments are taken seriously and will be fed back to the relevant heads of department for their attention.

I'm happy to read that your stay was a good one. We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Mövenpick Hotel Izmir!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed there 3 months, very good staff however their english speaking was so weak,unfortunately some of my personal belogings in the room was missed!!!
Although I informed hotel but No action !!!
Now I back home and I realized that some thing more missed again from my closed suitcase.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank amirpourali
ExecIzm, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Mr Pourali,
Thank you very much for your stay at Mövenpick Hotel Izmir.
We want to inform you that the safety, security and welfare of all our guests is extremely important to us.
It is true that you've reported us that one of your opened pistachio bag was missing and you were informed that it was thrown by our housekeeper attandence accidentally.
We are sorry for that.
To compensate that we had sent some chocolates to your room as a sign for our apologies.
In regards to your missing things;we have a well functioning lost and found procedure inplace.
Items left behind in the past by our guests have always been shipped to our guests at our cost if the correct address have been known to us.
We have investigated the issue with housekeeping department and the cleaning staff and nothing was found left behind. For your information the employees of the Mövenpick Hotel Izmir is hired after a scruitinizing process and as well as our guests safety and security our employees integrity and our hotels reputation is also extremely important to us.

Hope to see you again at your home in Izmir.