We stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel, Izmir for two nights in first week of Aug 09. The room was sea view with great view of the pay and city. It was a non-smoking room in a non-smoking floor. It was good size with sitting area of one chair and table. There is an office for working and using your own computer. The towels and bath robes, bed sheets and bellows are clean, bright white and as good as new.
Check-in and check-out was smooth and fast – no waiting. I have booked a sea view, club; that means I can use the club lounge for breakfast, afternoon snacks, and dinner. The breakfast has a variety of food; the quality of the food is excellent. (I stayed in the Hilton Izmir, they have better food quality and presentation, and anyway each Hotel has its own style).
The Crown Plaza location is far from the heart of the city and bazaar. It is located in a corner part of the city immediately overlooking the sea and Gardens with lots of restaurants on the sea. The hotel management overcome this problem by providing free shuttle to the city Bazaar and Konak location (you can find anything you want there and many Turkish style restaurants). Moreover, they provide a free shuttle from/to airport on specific times, which is a plus. The hotel has panoramic views of the pay and the city and it is a modern, recently belt – 5 years old – the hotel is an excellent choice.
The sea near the Hotel is not good for swimming (not beach – Izmir city has no beach for swimming – they say the water is not good for swimming – no one seem to swim). The walking area along the sea is very nice especially at night time – it is live night city, lots of people walking and sitting along the sea, restaurants open until mid night. The hotel is in the middle of the public park. Moreover, a ferry station can be reached by the hotel free shuttle (called Passport – that’s what it is called) to the other side of the city (station called Karsiyaka - pronounced Karshiyaka) is almost every hour. You can find there shops and more restaurants. Do not miss to go to a historic Roman site called Agora (not properly maintained yet), and Kadifekale Castle which is the highest point on the city it is better to take a taxi less 8 TL one way from the center of the city.
For the beach go to Ilica (pronounced Ilje) beach near a small town called Cesme (pronounced Cheshme). The beach is nice and lovely clear water – it is sandy shallow water beach good for everyone to swim. Taxi to Ilica and Cesme is expensive – it is better to use public transportation bus from bus station called Ucycular autobus (pronounced ichcular) it cost 10TL each way. The beach is near the Sheraton in Ilica. Try the ice cream Cesme, taste good and different. From Ilca to Cesme the local bus cost about 2TL each way. And there is natural hot water spring (free) in the sea near rocks – it is about 15-20 min walk from the Sheraton (Ilca), we did not have time to go there and beside it was crowded on Sunday.
The fitness center and the Gem are excellent; one of the best - the outdoor pool is excellent with Jacuzzi. The Turkish bath and the health center are excellent – must try. The specialty of Crown Plaza is the excellent thermal natural hot spring water pool inside the hotel with a cold Jacuzzi in the same room. I have not used the massage – they have a Thai massage done by young Thai girls. I think the health center of the Crown Plaza is a big plus.
The little hick-ups:
1. Although the staff is very polite, courteous, well-dressed, and very helpful – specially the reception- they do not have the smile on their faces. The management should notice that.
2. My reservation is a sea view, we have asked for a room sea view looking the city – we have been given a room looking the other side of the city – we did not bother to change it – it was nice room.
3. The wireless Internet is NOT free all over the Hotel – I have a club room, the Internet is free using the computers in the business center only. However, the online room description indicates that wireless Internet is included in the room rate, I quote hotel room description: "1 King bed club sea view Nonsmoking – Person(s) Max per room : 2 with High speed wireless Internet Fruit basket on arrival …… ". To remove this confusion, management should include (extra charge for Internet) in the room description as other hotels do. So be careful about wireless Internet charges.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As a member of Wyndham Hotels & Resorts chain, Wyndham Grand Izmir Ozdilek offers privileges and advantages of distinguished location embracing sea & city to guests traveling for business or leisure purposes and meeting delegates with five star hotel quality. Hotel is close to recreation area with shopping malls, restaurants, cafes and military museum ship. Proximity to motorway for International Adnan Menderes Airport, Gaziemir Fair Complex, industrial zones including Aegean Free Zone, Ephesus and House of Virgin Mary makes the hotel' s location excellent. Scheduled free shuttle service to/from airport & different points in city, internet and free parking are available. Wyndham Grand Izmir Ozdilek's deluxe guest rooms; standard, club, connecting rooms and suites offer sea & mountain view, wireless high speed internet access in addition to luxurious comfort as expected from an international chain hotel. Club Lounge presents special complimentary services to suite & club room guests at a private floor devoted for lounge. SPA & Wellness Center offers free of charge services for guests; indoor & outdoor pools, Jacuzzi, Turkish bath, sauna, steam bath, aroma therapy rooms & fitness center usage. Beauty , body care & massage services are available. Meetings, events and banquet organizations are well catered at high-tech indoor venues with daylight outdoor venues. Wyndham Grand Izmir Ozdilek serves exclusive tastes at 2 restaurants & 3 bars distinctively designed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Wyndham Grand Izmir Ozdilek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Izmir Hotel Izmir
- Izmir Crowne Plaza