“outstanding value”

Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Izmir
Toronto
“outstanding value”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Fully renovated (I stayed here before the renos, night and day difference) and great value for the money compared to other Izmir hotels (the Park Hotel used be my favourite in Izmir, but the rooms are smaller and lately the price higher). This year two visits and my wife and I stayed in both of the suites, Agora and Kale. Kale is brilliant - separate bedroom and living room, huge terrace with evening shade, worth every lira (one possible drawback - the elevator does not go to the top floor where the two suites are located).

Room Tip: Kale suite is worth the lira
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank canuck_at_large

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed in Baylan for 3 nights, 2 in terrace room and 1 in standard room. This hotel is absolutely perfect with its cleanliness, warm staff and amazing terrace room. As we entered the room, a plate of fruits were served. Rooms are spacious and everything you may need are available. I think this Hotel's manager team is very experienced, wide-scoped as they operate a 4-5 star hotel. Hotel has its own car park Place and 24 your security. It's very close to train station and subway. It takes half and hour by İzban. After you get on İzban in airport, 10 stops later you'll arrive to Halkapinar. Get off there and pass to
Metro line towards Basmane. There's a mosque at the left side of Basmane station and the hotel is in the street just opposite the mosque. Before we left the hotel we decided to rent a car and asked the reception. They find the best car with a good price that matches our expectations. Breakfasts were also great with wide variety of choices. High Speed Wireless connection was available in rooms thanks to access points in all floors. Also there's a Free computer for guests in the ground floor. I've to mention about the terrace room; it's amazing! We stayed at Kale room, which views the Castle. Castle view may not be interesting but city lights at night and cool wind makes you feel relaxed while you're drinking your tea on a deckchair at your private place. Briefly, we got much more than we expected and Hotel Baylan Basmane is a hidden gem with its comfort, staff and price. I hope they keep their standards and continue to be the best option to stay in İzmir for us.

• Stayed July 2011
11 Thank Eresin
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This place was like a breath of fresh air after the other budget places we had been staying at. Yes the rooms are quite small, but still bigger than what we had in Istanbul, however the fact that everything is brand new and modern makes up for the lack of space. There is something about a freshly decorated place that just feels so much cleaner. We enjoyed the walks to the sights and the waterfront for dinner each night and the complimentary fruit platter was a nice touch.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
22 Thank Kamema
Oxford
Reviewed 6 June 2011

The hotel is situated very close to the Basmani station, in an area which does not look very promising - but in fact it is a hidden gem. It is quiet, well-kept, and very comfortable.
We stayed in the suite at the top of the hotel, which had a roof terrace and two very big rooms but was surprisingly cheap.
The staff were all extremely helpful and spoke excellent English.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank BookwormOxford
Stockport
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I was only staying 1 night in Izmir in order to catch an early train the next day, so I was just after a cheap hotel. After arriving I now wish I had stayed another night or two as this has simply been the nicest hotel (and the cheapest!) of my trip. The hotel is modern, extremely clean and the room I had was fantastic - minibar and tea and coffee making facilitiies included! OK, the view from the window wasn't the best, but everything else about this hotel is simply surprisingly good given the price. Breakfast was reasonable selection of hot and cold items - all very typical.

Don't be put off by the location, it's just a short walk from Basmane station and the area is not quite as dodgy as some reviews had led me to believe. The only real downside to the location is that it is quite far from the interesting parts of town.

And finally, the staff here were absolutely brilliant. They carried my bags into the hotel for me and up to the room. There always seemed to be about 4 members of staff milling about in the reception/bar/loung area and on the morning I left they even gave me a lift to Alsancak sttation for free - saving me a taxi fare!

If I'm in Izmir again, I shall definitely be going straight to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
21 Thank TheLordMayor
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 22 April 2011

It is a clean, quiet, and comfortable hotel in Izmir. Friendly to foreigners. Location is supposed not to be so good, but its in the historical center. Rooms are great, we didnt expect that, and breakfast is really big!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
20 Thank cathpain
Karsiyaka, TRNC
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I visited Izmir with my husband in December 2010 staying at the 5* Moevenpick which we enjoyed but honestly did not think it was that fantastic at £100 per night. When some friends and I decided on a short, last minute trip I was just looking for a reasonable, budget hotel and having read some reviews on another site we booked the Baylan. Well, what a great surprise this hotel turned out to be. The service was excellent right from the start when I emailed them to arrange an airport transfer at 11pm at night (50TL). The staff came out to meet us and take our luggage and we were provided with a tourist map each and a business card with all the hotel's contact details which came in handy when getting taxis. The hotel has obviously been recently refurbished and is very clean and comfortable. We had a triple room which was large with a nice, modern bathroom. Lots of boiling hot water with a very high pressure shower. There was complementary fruit in our room. Breakfast was included and was more than adequate and plentiful. The hotel has its own car park and a lovely outside terrace area with a bar which would be lovely when the weather is warmer.

The area where the hotel is located is pretty central and although it is quite shabby myself and my two female friends did not feel in any way unsafe even when we went out to eat after midnight on our first night (although we are used to the Turkish culture).

I cannot praise the hotel staff highly enough. They were so friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help us when our return flight home was cancelled by the airline.

If you are looking for a very reasonably priced hotel for a couple of nights stay in Izmir then Hotel Baylan has everything you need for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends