“how is the hotel”

Ranked #49 of 99 Izmir B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
00902324820135, Manager at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

There are newer reviews for Guzel Izmir Oteli

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Fine hotel, situated in an area not recommended by my Turkish friends, but I found it convenient and safe. Room size can vary, so check before. Our 3-bed room was very good with a table, but we saw a tiny double-bed room.
Parking lot within 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
00902324820135, Sahibi at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you very much for your observations. Hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Guzel Izmir Hotel is a wonderful hotel in the heart of Izmir. This family-owned hotel is run by a welcoming, professional and helpful team, most of whom speak English. The hotel is located across from Kultur Park, which has a shady walking/running track, an amusement park, as well as several excellent museums. Less than one block away is the train station, where you can catch the very inexpensive and clean train to many destinations. Additionally, there are buses and guided tour opportunities right around the corner. You can walk to the old bazaar area, Konak, or the waterfront. Just down the block is an excellent lokanta, the Yenice.

The Guzel Izmir Hotel has clean rooms with private baths. One of our favorite features is the kahvalti (breakfast) served daily on the 4th floor by a sweet cook, Ibrahim. The kahvalti includes boiled eggs, fresh bread and butter, olives, tomatoes, several types of cheese, cucumbers, jams, and coffee or tea.

As you can tell, we love the Guzel Izmir Hotel. My husband and I stay there whenever we visit Izmir and I would feel absolutely safe staying there alone. The staff is dedicated to ensuring your comfort. The prices are excellent. If you plan on staying, you should email or call them in advance, as the hotel fills up during special events, such as the marble show or the annual fair in the park.

A couple of comments more: we used the helpful service of storing our luggage in their safely-guarded basement room while we travelled elsewhere. The hotel has an elevator, large enough to accomodate a wheelchair.

I am sure there are hotels in Izmir where you can experience corporately-designed rooms at an expensive price, but my husband and I would never stay anywhere but the Guzel Izmir.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah20142014
Guzelizmirotel, Genel Müdür at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

We are so thankful for your nice thoughts many thanks and hope to seeyou again.

Best Regards

Sinem Kurtural

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel is extremely well situated near Basmane Railway and metro station. We had a triple room on both our visits. Though mentioned as an unsafe area in the Lonely Planet, we experienced the area as friendly and safe. We walked on the Streets as a family until late in the evening. There are lots of restaurants nearby. The hotelmanagement is friendly and helpfull. On our second visit we arrived very early morning and we could check in earlier than the mentioned check in time. Room was ok, though a bit small for three persons. They serve an excellent breakfast, presented by a very friendly staff old member.
It is an excellent place for transport by train to f.e airport and Selcuk.
Recommended place

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less the streetnoise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Guzelizmirotel, Owner at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Hotel.

Best Regards

Sinem Kurtural

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I chose this hotel because it seemed like a nice budget hotel with good reviews, but I was sorely disappointed upon my arrival. My main qualm is that it's dirty. Filthy. Disgusting. The lobby looks fine, but my room and bathroom were depressing to be in.

My bathroom looks like a single guy's bathroom who hadn't cleaned it in a month. The shower surfaces and sink are soap scummy and the mirror's got toothpaste flecks all over it. And upon arrival, I kept finding strange hairs in the sink. The next morning I even found a hair in my coffee and the tables in the dining area are sort of sticky and there are random hairs stuck there as well. A hair here and there doesn't usually bother me, but I just found myself asking "where are all these hairs coming from?!"

The bed's comfortable enough, but the pillow's rock hard. The double twin room is tiny and the bathroom door doesn't shut. Which, with a double twin room, assuming you're travelling with platonic friends, could make the both of you a lot closer in ways which you may not have wanted. The room is equipped with a small reading lamp, telephone and mini fridge, none of which are operational, so your teeny tiny room is decorated with broken appliances.

After the first day, I came back to find no one's made my bed or changed my towels, which left me a bit indignant. Who makes their own bed in a hotel? That's a basic perk!

The next day as I was leaving, the receptionist asked for my key so they could make up the room, because apparently they only have one key to the room so your room won't get made up otherwise! Weird..

Furthermore, there are countless amounts of budget hotels in the same area and I had friends staying in ones nearby and they said though their rooms were tiny as well, at least they were clean. So really, I think you're much better off stopping in Basmane and going into a random hotel than booking with Guzel Izmir, just my weary traveller's opinion.

Room Tip: Not 309!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Guzelizmirotel, Yönetici at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope that we will find a better hotel that suits your needs. We are budget hotel in downtown Izmir. We are here since 1950. So therefore your thoughts are not ture for a lot of people. Sorry to hear about your bad experince.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed here as a family of 5 (took double and a triple) end of July 2013. This was a really good pick just a brief walk from the station and a longer but pleasant and easy walk to the bazaar area, and there are lots of mini-supermarkets around to buy beer etc. The cost was reasonable, the rooms small but clean and the usual very decent breakfast. There only appeared to be English speaking staff in the daytime, but all staff were very friendly. We were not aware of any street noise. We didn't realise there was a garden area until we looked at the site photos afterwards - do ask if you want somewhere outside to sit!
Big tip on getting to the airport - turn right outside the hotel and you will come to a taxi rank in the main road. We asked to go to the Hilton, so they guessed we wanted the airport shuttle and then took us to the airport for less than the cost of 5 people in the shuttle! Also in Izmir, they have what they call dolmuses but are actually cars painted white not yellow and there are ranks of them in various locations. These are MUCH cheaper than the yellow taxis - use them!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Guzelizmirotel, Manager at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking time to write your opinion about Guzel Izmir Hotel. Your thoughts are important for us. As Guzel Izmir Hotel we try to do our best. We have English speaking staff also @ night time. Maybe you did not see. I hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Hotel.

Regards,

Sinem Kurtural Karakundakoglu

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed at the Guzel Oteli for two nights my first time in Izmir. The location near the city center is really convenient for metro/train access and the hotel is an overall great deal. The staff were incredibly helpful and able to help arrange a tour to Ephesus for me. The room was nicer and larger than I expected after reading the other reviews here. The bathroom/shower needed a bit of refreshing, but all-in-all a great deal and I would without hesitation stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Guzelizmirotel, Manager at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.