“Superior Hotel in Izmir”

Swissotel Grand Efes Izmir
Ranked #1 of 98 Hotels in Izmir
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Perfecet location, high quality servis, friendly stuff. Hotel is located one of the best cities in Turkey. It is in the center of the city. Very close to many historical places like Efesus.
Hotel stuff are very friendly and helpfull.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
Rıza E, Manager at Swissotel Grand Efes Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your comments regarding our hotel and staff during your visit. We are delighted to hear that you were happy with our property.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Swissôtel Büyük Efes, Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,934)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We had three days in Izmir combining relaxation with shopping. The hotel is in a good location and has its own car parking arrangements. Staff are friendly, speak English well, are attentive but not pushy and efficient.
We thought we were being extravagant in booking an Executive suite. However we now think this is best value, as it includes free access to their Executive Centre. This is a pleasant and comfortable room, with delicious and fresh snacks and refreshments all day and into the evening. There is a 'happy hour' from 6-8 in the evening. If you want to you can have something to eat at lunchtime, in the afternoon and evening without going out (useful in December) and at no cost. We particularly appreciated Baris' service.
Two comments on possible improvements. The main restaurant serves an excellent breakfast where you serve yourself. There is a good range of food set out at different counters and service points. But there is very little space to rest your plate while you choose something, eg cutting bread requires two hands.
In the bathroom there are plenty of products, including the tiny bars of soap that slip straight through the soap dish by the bath. Irritating!
Overall there has been a great deal of thought put into providing amenities and the quality of service is uniformly good. We shall return and would recommend.

Room Tip: If you choose the Executive suite, ask for a room close to the Executive Centre.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I mean insane in a bad way, not in the Crazy Eddie sense of the 1970s, whose prices for electronic goods were insanely low. I arrived here a couple of days early for a conference at which I am speaking, which is putting people up here, and I have no real complaints. I am paying €85 a night plus VAT, which comes out to a total of about €92, which is next to nothing for a hotel of this quality. The room (an ordinary double as far as I can tell) is pretty spacious and well laid out, decorated in a modern, somewhat minimalist stype: wood panels on the walls, a flat-screen TV set into the wall. Crucially, there is a nice work space with plenty of accessible outlets, abundant lighting (I hate staying in hotel rooms where there is not enough light), plus a sliding window that opens onto a tiny balcony from which you can view the sea, and which lets in lots of sunlight. Internet is free. Breakfast is included in the room price and it is a sumptuous buffet with all kinds of Western and Turkish dishes. At least 6 different kinds of olives, all sorts of terrific oriental-style cheeses, eggs cooked to order, good coffee, etc.

Arriving last night, I decided to dine in the hotel and went to the Aquarium restaurant, which specializes, as its name suggests, in fish and seafood. The meal was very good. I had a cold fried eggplant dish with a tomato and yoghurt sauce as a starter, and it was excellent. My only quibble is that they served it with a basket of fairly ordinary slices of white and brown bread, when I would have expected Turkish flat bread as a more appropriate accompaniment. Also presented as a complimentary starter was a dish with three small recessed bowls, one containing sun-dried tomatoes, the other with some olives, and the third with two small peppers stuffed with white cheese, all sitting in olive oil and all delicious. I followed this with a grilled John Dory fish (also known as St. Pierre), which was served whole (they will fillet it on request). As is typical for Mediterranean/Levantine fish restaurants, I was able to pick the fish I wanted from a large selection of different varieties lying on a bed of ice in a display case near the entrance. It is one of my favorite fishes - firm and delicate white flesh, large bones that are easily removed - and it was cooked perfectly and served with a garnish of sauteed greens and one small roasted potato. To drink I had a bottle of still water, one beer, and a glass (a fairly meagre pour) of Kavalkidere Turkish white wine, which was pleasant though not extraordinary. The service was very professional and courteous. But this meal set me back TL 150, or about $75. Perusing the wine list I noticed only one bottle costing less than $50, and almost all the bottles on the wine list were Turkish wines.

I arrived carrying some dirty laundry that I hadn't had time to get done on my previous stop, in Kosovo, but one look at the price list has convinced me I need to go find a laundry outside the hotel. TL18 ($9) for a shirt, $3 for a pair of underpants, etc...I am accustomed to hotels charging what they think the market will bear, taking advantage of a captive market, but this is ridiculous.

The dining problem is easily resolved, I think. the hotel is centrally located, so with a good breakfast and no need for lunch, I am sure I can find reasonably-priced alternatives for dining outside the hotel. I haven't yet been to the fitness center, but the pictures in the brochure indicate it is pretty well appointed.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment. My wife and I stayed, years ago, in the Swissotel Bosphorus in istanbul and were similarly impressed. Swissotel is a good chain, and I hope they open more hotels in more places I frequently visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Rıza E, Manager at Swissotel Grand Efes Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Swissôtel Büyük Efes as your home during your visit to Izmir. Thank you very much for taking time to share your comments. It is nice to know that you enjoyed staying in our hotel . Looking forward to welcoming you back in Swissôtel Büyük Efes for your recent visit to Izmir.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Absolutely perfect hotel, but
I was charged for espresso used in the room despite having information cafe and tee are complimentary in the room. Moreover my friend at the same time was NOT charged despite during check-out he pledged he was using espresso. Be careful.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The hotel staff has a friendly and professional approach towards its customers and in combination with the perfect location of the hotel makes the staying an unforgettable experience! It is highly recommended.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
Rıza E, General Manager at Swissotel Grand Efes Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I came this hotel several times with my family for a short escape in the city. Everytime me and my family had the best service and beyond your expectaions. I strongly recommend that hotel who did not try yet.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The best 5 Star Hotel in Izmir to a very reasonable prices.Best rooms, food, service in town.I highley recommend Swissotel all over the World.I am visiting Swissotels about 20 years.The quality is guaranteed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
Rıza E, Manager at Swissotel Grand Efes Izmir, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Please accept our sincere thanks for spending your precious time to share your kind feedback. We appreciate your valuable comments.
We look forward to welcoming you in the future and hope to host you again in Swissôtel Büyük Efes, Izmir.