Otel Mevlana
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Hotel Sato(Konya)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My wife and I walked into the lobby and thought this hotel looked okay. Then we were taken to a room which was pretty disgusting. We looked around and it was tiny and dirty. Then we saw some clothes and wondered if the room had been cleaned. A moment later, there was a knock on the door and we were told that we had to move. They had taken us to an occupied room. The second room we were taken too was equally small, dirty and disgusting. Unfortunately, we were very tired and also had a show to go to in an hour so we really couldn't move. So, we stayed. My wife didn't even undress but slept in her clothes because she didn't want to get dirty. And when we looked out the window, all we could see were the tops of a couple of disgusting buildings and a couple of pipes.

We really couldn't use the bathroom because the ceiling was dripping. In the morning, we went downstairs for breakfast and it was so disgusting we decided to just have tea but when we got the tea glasses, they were not clean. All in all, I can find nothing to recommend this hotel.

I have stayed in hotels of all classes all over the world and this was, by far, the worst.

Room Tip: Get another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kondan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Right before arriving to Konya, I checked the Lonely Planet and I decided to go for this hotel believing I would meet some backpackers. Well, maybe that would have been the case if I had stayed in the "new" Otel Mevlana. But since I arrived very late at night (around 11pm), I just followed the guy when the taxi left me. So I ended up in the "old" Otel Mevlana (I discovered that the next day). I got a free bottle of sparkling water during check in. Basic English spoken but enough. Room big enough for myself (king-size bed!). Room and bathroom very clean, although they looked old. Only a very small window and too high to look out. The heating was off but the room was warm. Breakfast was not particularly rich. Very close to the Mevlana Museum.
The hotel was average but ok for the price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank fufaita
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I stayed only one night here. I arrived early evening (18h30), was tired and went straight to bed. And left at 13h00 the next day
Rooms & bathrooms are old fashioned but clean.
Breakfast boring selection.
It's adequate for an overnight budget accommodation option

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChapmansPeak
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Totally unacceptable. We complained and got another room but it's only just bearable. Wiring hanging from the walls, filthy curtains, a floor that hasn't been swept or mopped in weeks. The noise from the plumbing in the rooms around us shocking.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Let me caveat this by saying there is "new" and "old" Mevlana. I'm on a budget so went for the old side.
1) There is no air conditioning and no fan. You therefore need the window open all night. You are 25m from a main road, 25m from the bazaar, 50m from a mosque, so if you want to sleep don't pick this place. Ear plugs are vital, and even then the call to prayer will wake you up.
2) At this price in the rest of Turkey you would expect internet and breakfast. Forget about it.
3) There are no locks on the toilet doors or shower doors. Instead, there is a 1 metre long metal rod which you jam between the door and the wall (imagine barricading yourself in against zombies/Jack Nicholson).
4) There is no hot water on the 1st floor. There is no cold water on the 2nd floor. This creates certain problems for flushing toilets and showering. I'm happy to shower using half a cut-up coke bottle, but only in the middle of nowhere, not in a major city.

Ok, positives? It is a bed. It is cheap-ish. The old man who tried to solve the shower situation was sweet (result: half a coke bottle to douse myself).

Would I recommend this place to family and friends? Absolutely not.
Would I recommend this place to strangers?! Absolutely not.

Room Tip: Try the new side, or elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo