“Definitely a scam...should be closed down”
Review of Deva Restaurant

Deva Restaurant
Ranked #245 of 409 Restaurants in Konya
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was in Konya and decided to go in just to see if the reports were still true. And yes, they are still doing it. I had tea only, but I saw what was happening as they argued with a couple (in Turkish) over a bill that was no doubt intentionally inflated.

This place continues to occupy a privileged spot in Konya and is nothing more than a scam - a conscious scam. Look at the reviews to date....all but a couple of the reviews rate it as "terrible" and yet the restaurant is ranked "#61 of 239 restaurants in Konya." I don't understand that.

If you are considering eating there, my advice is to read the bad reviews. They are all consistent. This is the only scam restaurant I have come across in Turkey.

1  Thank UnclePen

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I'm warning the tourists who visits Konya Mevlana Museum there is a restaurant near Mevlana Museum called DEVA RESTAURANT never ever go there. Its a terrible and expensive restaurant. The foods are bad, the waiters are unrespectfull and their performans are terrible. For example you want 100gram meat they bring you 300gram meat and they charge it like that. The waiters brng food to your table without asking you and they annoy you when u re eating your meal. At the middle of your food they ask if we want to eat something else.
I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET THIS WORST TERRIBLE EXPENSIVE RESTAURANT AND THE TERRIBLE DISCUSTING BEHAVIOURS OF THE WAITERS. NEVER EVER GO THERE. ITS A SHAME THAT WE HAVE SUCH A TERRIBLE RESTAURANT IN OUR COUNTRY

Ali BAKIR

3  Thank Ali B
Reviewed 28 October 2013

There is a Deva 1 and a Deva 2 restaurant, within sight of each other and immediately surrounding the great Mevlana mosque and the tomb of the great poet and philosopher Jalal al-Din Rumi. The "modis operandi" of the Deva Restaurants is this; you order from the menu and then they bring you a portion that is supposedly many times bigger than the dish in the menu. We had a beef dish and were charged 112 tl for what the menu said was 16tl per person. We also had soup and other items that we didn't order(!), and that made for a total of 122tl. This was not a misunderstanding - it is a scam they use to take advantage of tourists. They pretend not to speak one word of English.

I refused to pay and went through a lengthy conversation with a translator on the phone. In the end he said he thought what they are doing is wrong and that I should just pay what I should have been charged. The waiter, and the manager refused to budge, so in the end, rather than create an even bigger scene, I handed them a 100 TL note and said "Tamum," (OK). They knew they had won the battle and they had some extracted some more tourist money that they didn't deserve.

As for me, it was in the end a $25 lesson on how not to get scammed in Turkey. I told the translator to tell them I was not happy, and indeed this review is my only recourse. I love Turkey and the Turkish people, and these guys would be an embarrassment to the friends we have made along the way here. It's just life; I have been scammed in New York City too.

It is ironic that they are so close to the spiritual guide Rumi's museum and tomb. - I thought of this verse -

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.”
― Rumi

2  Thank UnclePen
Reviewed 3 May 2013

When the whopping bill arrives - for truly mediocre food - you are informed the menu prices you were shown are per 100 grams.

A meal smaller than we'd paid 37 lira for the night before - at a far better restaurant, with far (far) better atmosphere - ended with an 82 lira sticker shock.

5  Thank RoamingTechDude
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We ate here during our stay in Konya because they were one of the few places open for lunch during Ramadan. It is a tourist trap, so don’t bother. There are so many better places out there!

3  Thank Pangea10