“Could be better..”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Konya
Lisbon, Portugal
“Could be better..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Staff was very friendly but it's odd to change from a building to another using a basement tunnel.. Room had a lot of space, mattresses and pillows were very stiff and be careful with the expiration dates when having breakfast.. We didn't eat anything because an unclosed milk package had already expired and everything didn't look very well. Location is ok.. Odd street but you can walk (10 mins) to the mevlana museum.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank nglopes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

We have stayed at Kosk and Esra Hotel for Seb-i Aruz which is a pick season for Konya. Rooms have been recently renovated, they are adequate and clean enough. Breakfast is a traditional Turkish one, tasty but do not expect a variety such as cookies or fruits etc. Staff takes care of every guest and is friendly. Hotel is close to Mevlana Museum. Only negative point was smoking allowance in rooms, since you can smell next room's smoke.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Friendly people, safe parking, warm welcome with coffee, nice clean room and excellent location to visit the highlights of Konya. Breakfast wasn't the best we ever had in Turkey but that wasn't much of a problem.

Room Tip: Beware your head in the corridors! ;-)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Ålesund, Norge
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is two hotels, and I am not sure which is Kosk, and who is Esra. They share one reception. The room I got was in the other building, which meant a labyrinthine walk through a narrow, and as low as you have to bend your head, corridor underground between the buildings, and find your way up unmarked stairs and corridors ..
I asked If I could walk another way out to street, and get back to the reception that way, but this was the only way, I was told. Which, I suppose, also means it is the emergency exit: Unmarked, dark, hard to find the way - even if the light bulb would lit.
I bring a head torch when travelling, and here I was really glad I did.

But what really got me mad, was when I was struggling my way back towards the reception, had to pass through a room, still underground, where some people were decorating for a Bollywoodish wedding celebration. I must say I was rather annoyed by the idea to have to brake into a private celebration to get to my room, and I was not polite when I spoke to the receptionist.
Then I went out to have a first look at the city.

When I came back a while later, I had got a new room in the same building as the reception - and when collecting my things, did I learn that the 'wedding ceremony' only was the hotel's 'restaurant' and breakfast room, which has a ....aa, yes, let's say: 'special style'.

The new room was somehow OK, with close view to the smallest mosque I have ever seen. It was without minaret, which meant that the loudspeaker (really loud) pointed straight into my window, only about fifteen meters away. I assure you: I did not miss the morning prayer that morning. And even if the sound from the muezzin is one of the dearest sounds for me in Turkey, was this a little bit too much ...which it also was for the alarm in a car parked near by: When the muezzin had done his part, the car continued his desperate cry for help, which never came .....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank okh53

Travellers are raving about these Konya hotels

Central London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Following a recent one night stay at this hotel I have this report to make:

I found this hotel in the Rough Guide to Turkey and stayed there with my Turkish girlfriend for one night. We were informed by the staff on arrival that we would have to take 2 rooms, as unmarried couples are not allowed to share. My Turkish friend had suspected this would be the case in the ultra conservative Konya, so we were not surprised, and gladly accepted to take 2 rooms, respecting the local customs.

My girlfriend was subsequently sexually assaulted by the attendant who showed her to her room. He attempted to kiss her as he showed her the room. When she informed me of this later I suggested we move from the hotel but she played down the incident and said it was ok. We returned to the hotel later in the day and the attendant showed her to the wrong room, got on the floor and tried to grab at her legs. She quickly returned to the reception and got the right room key.

As you can imagine I was absolutely livid when I heard about this incident, but also realised that I could get myself into a lot of trouble if I tried to approach the attendant at the time, and end up in a Turkish cell for the night.

We begrudgingly stayed the night in the hotel, I escorted by friend to her room on returning in the evening (the attendant was off duty then), and discovered that they had put her in a room on the complete opposite side of the hotel - one that was difficult to find. My room was much nearer the reception - with other vacant rooms near to it.

In the morning I insisted we report the attendant to the manager. I began to explain in English, but as he was having difficulty in understanding me my friend explained everything to him in Turkish. She identified the attendant on CCTV and the manager insisted that he would be dismissed. Though as we were leaving, I cannot confirm whether or not he was actually sacked. For the record, he was not a Turk, possibly an Afghan, though we are not sure.

Maybe this was an isolated incident, but it was completely unacceptable, and especially infuriating as we were happy to respect their rules on separate rooms. I also noticed that the reception was usually occupied by about 6 men, many of whom were quite happy to stare my girlfriend up and down, even as I caught their eyes accusingly.

I realise this review contains strong accusations against this establishment, but please read my other reviews to see positive experiences of my mostly fantastic trip to Turkey.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TurfMerchant
Tunbridge Wells
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

They park your car for you, offer you a welcoming glass of tea, whisk your luggage away and make you feel at home immediately - just what we needed after a long drive. Arriving for our second overnight stay at the Yeni Kosk Esra during the return journey, we walked into reception where the manager, Mustafa, was sharing a communal dish of bulgar wheat, chickpeas and meat with some friends. He immediately invited us over to share it (all four of us) and ordered more food and tea - all free of charge. Boith rooms were comforable, clean and reasonably spacious with satellite TV, air conditioning and free wi-fi but you will be woken up by the nearby mosque. That's part of being in Turkey for us and as privileged holidaymakers we could roll over and go back to sleep rather than having to to get up and pray. Breakfast is from the buffet amid the entertainingly eccentric breakfast room decor with the usual choice of cheese, olives, cucumber, tomatoes, sausage, hard-boiled egg, jam etc plus delicious tahini with 'pekmez ' grape syrup - a good substitute for peanut butter-deprived Americans.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m0tm0t
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

A friendly, clean and comfortable hotel very close to the bazaar and museum. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple