“Loosely rolled Sushi not a good sign..”

Akanomi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Altamont
Reviewed 29 October 2013

As Sushi grows its popularity more and more everyday that even gas stations are now selling them. Most people forget that Sushi is not just an exciting mouth trip but its also an art. I'd usually let it go if the Sushi was purchased from a supermarket but Akanomi is a restaurant that supposedly specializes in Sushi.
The Sushi here was rolled loosely which loses its form and it appears that the chef focused more on the artistic presentation (cherry tomatotes cut to make it look like a rabbit) and forget that basics of Sushi making. For some of us who have tried to make Sushi at home, this is the reason for the rolling bamboo mat; it appears the Sushi chef in Akanomi needs a couple of this.
The chef did showcase some sushi tasty combinations such as mangoes, lobsters, spicy tuna and etc which was good (probably better eaten with a spoon and not a chopstick since it was falling apart).
This place was hyped by some people who have been; but was disappointed by the quality. We only tried the Sushi at this place and therefore can't comment on the other items in the menu.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We finally have a sushi place right in the neighborhood. My family, in various forms have stopped in to mant times to count. The owners are always welcoming, even on our first visit. Our 12 year old loves it there and begs to go on a weekly, almost daily basis. The specialty rolls are imaginary, the seaweed salad is very good, and the straight up sushi and sashimi are fresh and artistic, no matter the portion. My wife loves the soups and the Udon for you non-sushi types.
The place is small but quaint and has seats at the sushi bar if that's your thing. Stopped in for lunch two days ago. Same great food and hospitality with cheaper pricing. They have take-out too!

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I drive past this place every day but have never stopped in. Finally today we got takeout and I'm so glad I did! The menu has lots of choices, from Hibachi dinners to Teriyaki, noodle bowls, and sushi. Not being big sushi fans, we opted for the more familiar hibachi dinners and noodles. The kids hibachi dinners ( one chicken, one steak) were generous portions with sticky white rice, meat, and veggies. The kids loved them. The adults got udon noodle bowls (can either be ordered as a soup or a stir fry) which were flavorful and full of meat and veggies. Everyone's meal came with either salad or miso soup. I can't wait to sample more of the menu. Everything was fresh and tasty. The owner was very nice, telling me how they moved from Brooklyn two years ago to take over the business. She said they are doing ok, but it's a tough location in my opinion. I plan to come back and support this great little place.