“Faulty towers reincarnated”

Ranked #81 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Melbourne, Australia
“Faulty towers reincarnated”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The best thing about this hotel was its location. It was reasonably close to the harbour and main attractions in Fethiye.

The negatives are:

1. The fridge and toilet in the room we were given were not working / not able to be used.

2. We brought this to the attention of reception, who did not transfer us to another room until the next day. (We had to go down to the lobby to use that toilet until the next day, despite the hotel having plenty of available rooms for that evening.)

3. Breakfast was horrible.

4. The hairdryer provided was broken.

5. Towels provided were not clean.

6. Shower sprayed water over the floor of the bathroom.

7. Reception was rude when we brought the issues with our room to their attention.

8. Upon returning to the room one evening, we discovered housekeeping had broken a towel rack in the bathroom which was left on the ground for us (as guests) to report to reception to get it fixed.

My mistake was not reading the amusing reviews of this hotel before booking it. For example, this one on booking.com:

"The worst was the breakfast, it was not fresh and it was full of flies so we couldn't make a proper breakfast"

The breakfast was possibly the most inedible assortment of items I have ever encountered.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KW008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Thank you for all.. Everything was great. I can recommend everyone.

Staff , Room , Breakfast , Lobby and all others was great..
its my adress in Fethiye... If you have time use also Turkish Bath , Sauna and Massage.

We will be back soon.

Room Tip: My room was standart and great.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ferhat2013
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We spent a night at the Mara Hotel and we wouldn't go back.The hotel is nice, the people are wonderful and helpful but the rooms are so smelly from cigarette smoking that we couldn't sleep.When we first arrived we were shown a room that was smokey so I asked if we could get another room.They must have put the a/c on and opened the window for awhile before showing us the room because it was better than the first.We went out to enjoy the sights a came back to the same smoke smell as the first room.The manager offered us dinner to try to compensate, and in their defence most of the people in Turkey smoke so this wouldn't be a problem.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker this place is fine...if not I would go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank probst2013

Travellers are raving about these Fethiye hotels

Monte Rosa - Alps
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and me have spent two nights in Mara Hotel during our tour of Turkey.
The Hotel is located in a ideal location few meters from the harbor. Breakfast is served at the last floor where is possible to benefit from a view on the sea. Our room was comfortable and clean and in line with reasonable expectations for this category of hotel. The personnel was very kind with us during our staying. They easily accommodated all our requests ( including additional towels and a late check out) and we had no problem to communicate with them in English.

Overall not a luxury hotel, but good place in Fethiye if interested in excellent location and friendly staff. We would definitively book it again when in Fethiye.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. From the outside and in the lobby the hotel looks modern and newly refurbished. The location is great, it is less than 100 metres to the marina.

The room is not too bad, quite spacious with mini fridge and LCD TV and most important the WIFI is working and fast. The bed wad not too bad either.

However on the 2nd night the bathroom leaked that we had to order extra towels to absorb the water otherwise the room will get flooded.

When I asked for some towels the hotel staff did not understand any English at all. Tried to describe it in other words and ended up saying rubber mat and the staff gave me a map!

In my frustration I sat in the lobby just checking the map, not rubber mat. And whilst checkin it the hotel staff approached from my back. I thought at first he was just friendly by showing me the places but to my surprise this man started to put his hands in my back! Im not sure if that is a Turkish way of being friendly so I just stared at him and walked out. Worst thing came when my husband managed to speak to another staff who understood our request for more towels but the guy who attempted to put his hands on my back delivered the towels and attempted to get in our room! I take it that when you give something you stay outside the room and just handed the stuff. I literally pushed him out because I can feel and see his body language that he wanted to get in the room!

I dont want to ruin the rest of our holidays so I didn't kick up the fuss but he has given me the creeps! Becareful of this thin man and he always wear a blue tshirt with a very strong smell of fag!

Breakfast was Ok but nothing interesting.

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Mara Hotel offers a great location and the staff are friendly and welcoming. We left our bags after arriving mid-morning from Rhodes and we were surprised to see them all still sitting in the lobby when we returned. There were a few issues - one set of towels for two people, our kids had two sets of towels for three people. There was one glass in each room. There is no top sheets - I am now realizing this is a Turkish thing as it appears to be the norm in other places we are staying. We asked for an extra sheet and got an extra thin blanket. The air conditioning is good, the light in our bathroom shower didn't work. The kid's shower didn't work so they bathed / washed with just the bath nozzle. They also had a light hanging off the wall.

The breakfast had a few strange things I was reluctant to try (what is that pink meat?) and the cereal was stale but edible. It was good to fill up on some basic food before heading out for the day though.

All in all, they tried quite hard to make our stay comfortable but with a few tweaks and repairs, it could be so much better. The hotel appeared to be virtually empty except for us which is also a concern but it is a bit early in the season. And they really should clean that turtle pool in the lobby.

If you want a central location and you can check the room for all these little flaws in advance of committing to your room, I would recommend you stay here.

Room Tip: Things to watch for....working lights, glasses, towels, sheets and blankets (make sure you have enou...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FlexPRchick
zoe17
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The hotel is on a pedestrian street near the harbor and near the shopping area. I found the location convenient, although a taxi will drop you off a block or three away from the hotel due to the pedestrian shopping area.

The room was not very clean. There were dried blood stains on the coverlet on the bed, and mosquitos woke me up several nights. Since I used the AC and didn't open the windows, I'm not sure how they entered the room. And the toilet was a concern, because it had a jet very close to the back of the toilet seat. Although I doused it with hand sanitizer, I was concerned about possible injury or germs.

If you don't want the housekeeping staff to move your stuff around, keep it in drawers or locked up. I found my stuff on the dresser moved around, and, when I packed up, found that a lot of the plastic bags I use for packing stuff had been removed from the room.

Breakfast was served in a dining area off the reception, and was not very tasty. My last day there, one of the men in the hotel offered to make me eggs - just wish he'd offered before then so I could have enjoyed them once.

There's an internet cafe across the small pedestrian street, at very convenient hours and prices.

Staff was generally congenial, except for one man who wanted to help me by insisting that I save money and pay in cash. I sat in the lobby till my receipt was prepared. The hotel was very quiet, and didn't seem to have many guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a balcony room - the view is not great.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo