“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #3 of 103 Hotels in Fethiye
Istanbul, Turkey
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Hillside Beach Club is fantastic in all aspects: Sea, beach, food, staff, kidsclub. Really enjoyed it

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool can be rather noisy. I would definetly suggest the ones up in the cliff. They ha...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Elif_19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
Yarm on Tees UK
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We had a great holiday here but feel it was a bit expensive for this type of holiday experience.
The quality of the rooms and food were excellent and the location was superb and the facilities for children and families were fantastic. As a couple long past childbearing age who like peace and quiet, we would not have enjoyed the main pool area or beach which was occupied by happy families but were able to escape to the silent and serenity beaches which were perfect for anyone looking for peace and quiet with superb bathing and scenic views. We preferred the serenity beach for its exclusivity and the small friendly beach bar and barbecue lunches. The scenic 10-15min walk to and from the main areas of the hotel on a peaceful path on the side of the hill was part of the enjoyment for us - particularly the time when we saw a small snake cross the path. The serenity beach had more shade than the silent beach which was also appreciated by us. Anyone daunted by the walk could use the hotels regular shuttle ferry to the serenity beach.
We were disappointed to discover there were no tea or coffee making facilities in our room but the excellent customer services people arranged for a kettle and cups in our room and we were able to "borrow" tea bags and coffee (small container required) from the restaurant for our early morning cuppa.
The buffet restaurant had a great range of food for all tastes and excellent waiter service for the free drinks and keeping the tables clear of empty dishes ( although they were a bit too zealous one evening when we came back with our main courses to find our table had been cleared including our not empty water and wine glasses and bottles - quickly sorted with profuse apologies and new full bottles)
We used the waiter service restaurants a couple of times and thought having to pay for a reasonably priced bottle of wine but no cover charge was good value - service was excellent and the food was superb although a limited choice reduced the number of times we used this facility. TIP if you use the Italian Beach Bar restaurant which starts at 9pm make sure you have a torch with you to study the menu!
We travelled with Thomas Cook and were underimpressed with the courier who seemed to know little about the hotel facilities. Perhaps this was because the hotel provides its own excursions and has the best customer relations office and reception staff we have ever experienced. The advantage of using the hotel's arrangements rather than the holiday company's were self evident - particularly as they avoided the usual draining round of pick ups from other hotels before starting the excursion proper. This was particularly so for the 12 Island boat trip (only 4 visited) which we would highly recommend. Our trip from the hotel was on a large boat with 6 other guests and we had an excellent barbeque and afternoon tea far superior to anything we have ever experienced on the cramped boat trips we have "enjoyed" with Tour operators in the past.
Our holiday rep also told us there were no night trips by the hotel shuttle bus to Fethiye which was not correct and tried to sell us the late departure special tour on the basis that extending our room hire on the last day would be "very expensive" In fact we were given a courtesy room for an hour at the end of the day to shower, change and repack our cases before having a very pleasant pre dinner drink and evening meal at the hotel ensuring that our last day was a delight despite having to exit our room by 11am before our 1am flight.
The experience was one we would be happy to repeat but there are so many places to see and we did feel that we were probably paying for all the excellent child and family activities we did not need or use.

Room Tip: Blocks 600-700 have great views - especially higher up rooms but the Pasha Disco on Saturday nights...
10 Thank StuartL
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We had heard great things about this hotel. Everyone said we would put on lots of weight because the food was so good and they were right!!!
We checked in and were quickly taken to our room by golf cart and then by the lift.
I had read that the rooms close to the kids club and club pasha were very noisy at night, so I had specifically asked if we could be put further away from them as our young daughter may get disturbed by the noise. I did mentiont his again at check in and they did reassure me that we would not hear a thing from our room.
We were in room 685 (i think?) which was closer to the kids club and club pasha but quite high up. The first night I could hear a vague sound of music but it was drowned out by the air conditioning so not too bad. It didn't keep my daughter awake at all. It went off at midnight. Second night I didn't hear a thing. friday night it was much noisier but again didn't disturb us too much. Saturday it was as if a nightclub was on our balcony. My daughter slept through the whole thing but I could not hear myself think. At 11 I called reception and explained that it was so noisy and asked if it really had to be that loud, they asked me to repeat myself as they could not hear me speak as that was how loud it was. They told me that at midnight it would go inside, and it did.
So that was the only downside. I think it would have been quieter if we had been over the other side of the bay. SO I would recommend that anyone booking who likes to go to bed early or has children who go to bed at a reasonable time asks for a room over the other side and that you get this confirmed somehow.
The resort is quite hilly, but we got on fine even with a buggy and a toddler. The lifts are great and the guys who operate them are brilliant, so helpful and friendly.
Our room was perfect, a room for us and a room for our daughter so we didn't have to go to bed when she did. The rooms are a bit different with an outside lounge area and all of the bedrooms and bathroom come off of this. We were right at the top, so it wasn't a problem for us. It did feel strange going to the loo in the night at first as you go outside to get to it. I got used to it, but others felt that they could be seen in their bathrooms, especially if next to the lifts.
Room cleanliness was great. Our maid got so used to our routine with our daughter, that she made sure the room was cleaned while we were at breakfast so we could use the room for naps etc.
It would have been great if the hotel had tea/coffee making facilities in the room, again it is quite common in Turkey to not have this.
The bathroom only had a shower, our daughter is petrified of showers so it was tricky at bathtime, but we got round it...
The food in the main restaurant was excellent, it was tricky at first getting our daughter used to eating later. There isn't anywhere to eat between 5-7, so we had to make sure we got enough snacks from lunchtime to see her through to dinner time.
Food options were great, lots of choice. great salads, diiferent cuisines such as Thai and Indian which was great. Fish was fabulous. My only criticism is the choice of childrens food, maybe chicken nuggets, fishfingers rather than kofte or bolognaise every day. Also it would have been good if they offered yoghurts for children as an alternative to all of the very sugary desserts on offer.
Waiters in the restaurant provided a brilliant service, and were excellent with children. Our daughter loved them all.
Kids club was great, just a shame they can not be left until they are 4 which is common throughout Turkey. Great kids pool, playground and lots of facilities for them to use. Staff were really great and the children that were left there had lots of options and lots of fun.
The hotel had great views, it feels very quiet and serene for most of the time.
It was lovely watching people take an early swim in the sea as the sun came up.
Each day the staff would walk around the pool & beach around 10.30 to offer a sunglass cleaning service which I thought was brilliant.
The main pool area was good, with a very shallow area leading into a slightly deeper area then into the adults pool. It was great for children.

We had a great holiday here, it went so quickly.
We thought we had great value for money, but booked with a UK agent which was much cheaper than booking directly with the hotel. So shop around for a good price.

There wasn't room service available.
If the music had been quieter or the windows noise resistant we would have had better sleep quality.
Other than that this hotel is fabulous.

Room Tip: Choose a room furthest away from club pasha to avoid loud music. Also if you are not great on stair...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lisa A
northeast england
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We pushed the boat out for our honeymoon and booked up at the Hillside – what a great decision it proved to be.

Stunning views, amazing food, fantastic beaches/pools, friendly staff and great entertainment. It is all here, and we enjoyed a really special ten days.

Many of the other reviews here cover the basics so I will not bother repeating them, other than trying to add in some of the details which were maybe absent and of interest to us.

Firstly, the staff. All incredibly helpful and chatty despite working their socks off from sunrise to sunset. Even when I (idiotically) lost my wedding ring in the sea on day one they were on the point of sending in a scuba team to search for it before I (miraculously) found it with the use of a hastily-purchased snorkel!

Nothing is too much for the staff, and the evening entertainment they put on is really high standard. During our stay we went to a few of their shows; an Elvis one, another musical/dance one and a Turkish-themed one. All really good, with very high production values, lighting, music, etc. Some nights instead of stage shows they have a beach party or a pool party, but that still includes dancers/fireworks, some free drinks etc and was a lot of fun.

We had the most basic category of room, and although we were a little disappointed not to have a balcony we did have a sea view and the room was of a very good standard. Huge bed, stacks of wardrobe space, massive shower etc etc.

The main pool is huge, and we never struggled to get sunbeds there or at any of the beaches even in peak times. Often we would get there near lunchtime and still plenty of beds available. Serenity beach and silent beach are adult-only and a fair bit quieter – just remember your flip-flops as it is pebble beaches in Turkey.

The food was excellent, and we never got bored in ten days. Loads of fresh meat and fish every day as well as European, Asian and Turkish options. The salad bar and dessert sections were enormous, and the waiters really friendly and helpful.

Aside from the main buffet there are two restaurants you can book into via guest relations. In our opinion by far the better of the two was the Italian restaurant, although book early as it is understandably very popular. The food and setting were both superb. The other restaurant, Pasha, we didn’t think was anywhere near as good food-wise, but suppose it depends on your taste.

They have a few shops on site for the basics, plus a fashion shop if you like small and expensive clothing! There is an internet café which is free, although they only have 2 computers. Apparently there is wifi in the rooms, although this worked very sporadically in our experience.

The bars were all good, very relaxed atmosphere. Drinks were more pricey than other places we have stayed, with a bottle of beer being 7TL (exchange rate 2.75 to the £), soft drinks 6TL, glass of prosecco 20TL, although we did get a 30% discount with it being our honeymoon.

Overall as an experience this place was absolutely awesome. We had been looking forward to it all year, and rightfully so. I could go into stacks more detail about the various things, but hopefully that is a reasonable overview. If you have any more specific questions just send me a message through here. Cheers.

5 Thank markismith50
London
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband, four year old son and I returned from a week's holiday to Hillside on 1 July 2012.

Let me tell you, this is the best holiday that we have had as a family!

We decided to travel to Turkey as we had never been before and chose the end of June as it was our last chance to take a holiday outside of the school holidays (as our son starts school in September). As ever, I researched the resort thoroughly and practically read every review I could find! Based on this, I decided that Hillside would be the place to go and with some luck, we managed to book the last room available with Thomas Cook (a triple - category E, family room).

Now, we have travelled 5 star before, but we have never experienced such a glorious resort - your every need is taken care of. The food is wonderful (albeit, by the end of the week, the buffet in the main restaurant did get a bit samey, but you can forgive them for that since everything is so good). The staff are extremely friendly and the resort itself is gorgeous - OK, the beach has pebbles instead of sand (hence the bucket and spade set that we packed was firmly left in the room for the entire stay) but the place is just out of this world!

As a rule, we do not put our son into kids clubs, (he's in daycare at home during the working week and we figure that a family holiday should be just that) but we did take him to 'Kidside', with it's sandpit and water slides, which is run by very friendly and professional staff, whilst we stayed and played with him.

In terms of the clientele, there were mostly (well-to-do) Turks (and it says something about a place when the locals holiday in a local resort), Russians, Germans and Brits. Yes, there was the customary queue jumping - but in the main, it wasn't too bad. Also, there were lots of children - it is a family resort - so for those who moan about too many kids in the main restaurant and hotel pool - stay on the adult only beaches and eat in the Pascha restaurant or stay somewhere else! We found the children to be well mannered.

A word on the entertainment - wonderful. The shows are so professional, you would seriously pay decent money just to see those alone. We especially enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland show and the Beach Party.

The full board plus format is ideal - you get breakfast, lunch and dinner (with snacks in between) and bottled water, soft drinks, beer or wine with your meals. This eliminates the awful experience of all day drinkers that saunter from sun lounger to bar all day long for watered down beer in jugs and plastic cups!! Hillside is also a cashless resort, you'll be given charge cards for incidentals - so don't take too much currency with you!! They even arrange their own tours, boat trips, bike hire, watersports etc - so our poor Thomas Cook holiday rep literally had nothing to do and merely handed us a booklet with vouchers off our next holiday instead of the obligatory 30 minute welcome meeting which aims to sell you trips that you don't want...

In summary, this is a fabulous place - no question about it - the reviews speak for themselves. We have never been to the same resort twice, but given the experience that we have just had, we will definitely look to book Hillside again next year. In terms of value for money, this place has it in spades - we spent far more money last year for a so called 4.5 star All-Inclusive holiday to a 'Holiday Village' (we ended up spending most evenings leaving the resort in search of better food and entertainment) in Cyprus with a travel operator who shall now be referred to in our household as the Worst or Last Choice!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TheWife
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The approach to the resort is very scary if you can see over the edge of the cliffs, but it is worth it because the place had beautiful surroundings, beautiful buildings and it is just a fantastic experience.

Don't like early breakfasts? Easy, no need to worry as there is a late breakfast. Particularly good if you love pancakes and chocolate!

The food was amazing, the best I've had in Turkey. They made amazing pizza in the oven and I had a hot chocolate pudding that was to-die-for! I licked my lips and would have licked the bowl if I was by myself!!

The beaches were all good. I loved the walk to the silent beach and I loved the boat ride back even more.

This is seriously worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Jennifer B
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Our experience of the Hillside Beach Club was fantastic. We enjoyed every aspect. Yes there were quite a few children but this did not cause us a problem. The children were well behaved and there were plenty of quiet areas.

Accommodation spacious, comfortable and great quality. If we visited again we'd go for a room with a balcony because the view is stunning.

Food was outstanding - everything you could wish for in our opinion.

Service was exceptional. The staff were friendly, extremely hard working and clearly enjoyed working at what one of them described as "the best hotel" in Turkey.

The entertainment team did a great job with very professional shows.

The best holiday we've had so far (and we're in our 50s).

Thank you Hillside Beach Club for such a memorable experience.

Room Tip: The 400s block is great although quite a walk from the main hotel area. Try to book a room with a ba...
4 Thank cbhpfa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fethiye
Lykia Botanika Beach & Fun Club
#23 of 103 in Fethiye
D- Resort Gocek
D- Resort Gocek
#1 of 19 in Gocek

Been to Hillside Beach Club? Share your experiences!