“First Time Diving In Turkey Fethiye”

Mermaid Diving Club
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Wow I was collected at my hotel around 8am In morning quite a few people on the Mini Bus and of cause chatted to a few who where already on Bus first time scuba diving got to the boat and there were quite a few Diving Instructor I had to sign quite a few forms when we got to dive site everyone took there turn diving you get quite a few pictures taken underwater and feeding the fish and a small mini movie doing a shoot out with the camera man, thats was a good laugh you get a copy of the pictures for 50 lira you get everyone else pictures and movies, you get fed in afternoon a chicken and tom sandwich plus water, but make sure you take more with you.

1  Thank 714Shaun
in 8 reviews
in 10 reviews
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We were collected from out hotel at 8am in a very old minibus (don't expect a limo) and collected the other customers from the nearby hotels. We then stopped off to collect the instructors and headed to the marina.
On the boat we had lot of forms to complete and sign followed by an introduction to diving from one of the instructors which was hilarious. If you like participation then through yourself in with this.
We then headed out to the first dive site where we were split into groups of 4 or 5 people. We were fully kitted out in wetsuits, masks, flippers etc and then jumped into the water where the instructors then fitted a dive belt and dive jacket with oxygen tank.
We were then led into the water by our instructor holding out hands and swimming backwards in front of us. We both felt very safe and assured. We swam under the water round to a coral table where were knelt down and fed the fish. There were hundreds of fish, it was beautiful. We then came back up after about 20 minutes and lots of photos.
We had our lunch on the boat which was a chicken and tomato roll. All drinks and ice creams you have to pay for yourself so I recommend taking some water with you.
We then had the option to do the same dive again or complete a 12 meter dive which will count towards our PADI licence. We decided to do this and learnt a lot of extra skills although this costs 50lira each but well worth it as it is almost one to one teaching.
The DVD for sale with the pictures and videos on there costs 50lira for 1 person or 60lira for the 2 people. We did by this and there is a lot of pictures of us, we were almost embarrassed that they were almost all us. On the disc you do get everyone's pictures and not just yours.
My husband had dived before but this was my first time. I was a little nervous but felt in good hands with the crew.
This is highly recommended for anyone who is thinking about giving it a go.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Wonderful experience, great day out, all the staff on board Mermaid were brilliant. i would recommended Mermaid to anyone who wants to go diving in the local area of Fetihye etc

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I am an experienced diver with Padi and open water. Booked with Mermaid because the tour operator recommended it. It was my worst diving experience ever (in 6 years) and the worst day of my holiday in Fethiye.

First there's lots of people on the boot, lots of beginners. No problem but..they take you to a destination for those people to dive and then the experienced divers have to dive around that area too. Nothing to see there really but rocks. Then: everything had to be done in a rush. That was the main theme of the day it seemed. TWO MINUTES AND THEN WE'RE GOING DOWN!! Get ready!! Kamaan!!That kind of horrible crap. No buddy check, diving with 150 bar of oxygen. i'm having a holiday. I paid. I want to have fun and relax a bit. This is crap. Instructors are not good and after the dive don't come back with any advice or anything else. They really treated you like you were not there and you were just being an annoying part of the day. They love their job, but not the customers it seems.

Worst part, very awful part was three Dutch people on board "assisting" the instructors. One older guy with a mustache, one bearded guy and another one, all around 50-60 years of age. They're supposed to 'assist' the diving instructors and this way, they spend a couple of months a year away from Holland and on a boat. Mermaid.. some heart felt advice here from me...loose those people and get some good loyal locals to assist you!! Even if it's paid. Those Dutch were annoying, rushing you, making fun with each other ALL DAY, making fun with women en joking and screaming LOUD and being obnoxious all day. They did not introduce themselves at all but were just walking around the boat all day being LOUD and joking and nobody now who they were. Why not introduce yourself to the customers who pay their hard earned money? No, just walk around making a fun day for themselves and ignore the others int the boat.They mainly ruined this trip for me. I can understand that you want to spend your free months away from home and participate on a boat with a diving team and dive all month... as a volunteer and not make money with it.. cool. But then - be prepared, be a pro, be serious about your job and be good under water and be SOCIAL with people that PAY for the trip. They just spend time together making loud fun all day and ignore the customers. Everybody on the boat was experiencing the same as I did when I asked them. NOT SAFE under water, NO FUN diving.

Bottom line, I've spend way too much money on two dives that just lasted 25 minutes per dive. Rip off! Bought an expensive cd with crap pictures and crap *out of focus* video. 'Lunch' was a sandwich. Come on now people!!

Also spoke to my tour operator that this Mermaid should be removed from their list asap.

5  Thank Rick R
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We had a wonderful Time with the mermaid Diving Crew! They are all very friendly, funny and professional divers!! We are very impressed of their skills, faik, who almost doesn't breath under water and Salami, who has a crazy amount of dives! And not to forget, the captain who, after Bringing you to beautiful Spots, enjoys his precious Sudoku-Time!
Every member of the Crew Takes very good care of their Students, it is a very good place for beginners to start, because they take you by the hand until you feel comfortable enough on your own!
Their might be a Little turkish Chaos, which is normal and very sympathic, but you are in very good hands with the mermaid divers!