“Oykun in October”

and 1 more site!
Oykun Hotel
Ranked #9 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Reviewed 22 October 2011

After arriving late at night at Dalaman airport it was great to be greeted by the hotels mini bus. After about 50 minutes our party (24 in all) arrived at the hotel. Instead of going through the normal check in procedure, we were asked our names, given the room key and said we can complete all other formalities in the morning. This got us off to a great start and allowed us to stop and have a late night drink in the bar. The rooms were very clean however; the bedding on the first night did not include a top sheet but a rough type of blanket which did not allow a great night’s sleep. All this changed the next day when we asked and got a top sheet from reception. We stayed on a half board basis and found the food to be fairly basic and somewhat repetitive, but very edible. On Sunday we had a roast but unfortunately the vegetables were not even ‘al dente’. We agree with other comments about the towels being a bit rough and also we found them to be somewhat jaded some with many holes. One great point about the shower is the pressure of the water which was most impressive, especially when you can get poor water pressure in many higher star hotels.
All in all, the hotel was very clean, the staff and management extremely friendly who helped make our stay very enjoyable. There were a couple of days of heavy rain but that’s not unusual in October. There are many inexpensive restaurants around Calis, so it’s not difficult to go out and have a good evening if this takes your fancy.
Would we return? Yes. Would we recommend the hotel to friends? Yes providing they are aware that it is only three stars. Is it worth the 50 minutes transfer time? Yes, especially as this should improve when the new roads have been built.
Finally, many people gripe at paying £10 on entering the country, well this is well advertised and if people objected they should not have gone in the first place. We must bear in mind that our Government impose similar taxes when flying but these are included in the airline prices.

Room Tip: As the hotel does not have any lifts it would be sensible to ask for a room on the ground floor.
2  Thank gunner2412

Reviewed 21 October 2011

well! what can i say to some of the reviews.Some people go on holiday with nothing on their minds except yo pick holes in everything they do and see, we do not, we go to relax and enjoy ourselves, meet new people and explore different ways of life.
Our fist time at the oyken this year was lovely,we were met by ihann?(excuse spelling) at the airport who took charge of our bags immediately and ushered us into the minibus to go to the hotel where we were met by the night receptionist and one of the owners.We were greeted and handed our keys to our room, we were told about breakfast times and escorted to our room by ihann, he showed us how to use the door key and phone system he carried our bags up the stairs and into our room, we were left to unpack and settle in.We went down to the bar area some 20mins later and were greeted by other residents and staff with hellos and smiles, all very friendly.our room was in block 1 and was always kept clean and fresh by the staff,our beds were made each day, floors washed if needed,towels changed and folded into amazing shapes on the beds.The staff all of them spoke to you when they saw you even the laundry ladies who spoke little english said good morning.the breakfast and all meals were wonderfull, plenty of choice and variation, of course some things were repeated but they are a staple diet.Freddy the barman and velli? were great they could not, as with all the staff do enough for you.Anything you wanted to know you just needed to ask goldie on reception during the days, she is a hive of information and always willing to pass the time of day if she has time.The turkish baths downstairs were lovely and well worth the money i had two and an oil massage which i found very relaxing, the lady masseuse is a very nice lady.
NOW.As for the party of bowlers from southend.........What a group?............My husband and i enjoyed their company so much so that even i sat and watched the bowls,,,Yes they were loud, They were happy, they were a lovely bunch of people on holiday who didnt go around with their mouths on the floor, they were lively,good fun,happy decent people over in turkey to play bowls and have a holiday at the same time, they joined in the hotels entertainment nights,turkish night was a scream, my mouth hurt from laughing so much,they were an entertaining bunch of people,always cheefull,smiling and polite ,even when they lost they smiled about it.It was the president of the clubs birthday whilst they were there and theyd arranged a surprise for him with a presentation and ended the night with a karaoke in the bar which freddie set up on the bars tv so everyone could join in, we were invited to sing and i soon found myself on the mike with my partner for the night SYLVIA,it was a great night and great fun was had by all who joined in, even freddy sang a song,lovely.
I certainly woudnt class myself as an oykenite(as someone has suggested people are)i am just a satisfied customer who goes on holiday to rest and enjoy myself, i can not fault the oyken and the staff and we will definately be going back next year for our anniversary in september.Well done oyken you have a lovely hotel....

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zenfi
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Have just returned for the Oykun hotel where I spent a week here with 4 friends. Calis, pronounced Chalish, is a very nice resort, friendly no hasle, prices in shops extremley reasonable so no need to haggle, very different from Marmaris!!! Breathtaking scenery and a fabulous don;t miss boat trip to Fethiye. Hotel really really clean, pool area spotless staff all very nice only 1 barman not that friendly! Not worth doing anything but Bed and Breakfast, it is so very cheap to eat out and some wonderful restuarants there. I would heartly recommend CASA MAMA which is down to the sea front and turn right and keep walking. great food and very cheap. You must try and find "Pastries and Pies" a small english run cafe where all the cakes and pastry home made, just of the main road in Calis. a great holiday and would definatly go back. The hotel have a health and Well being centre and the Turkish Bath is an absolute must but have it on your first day.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room although the hotel is not a noisy one.
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Let’s get this rating system sorted. This hotel attracts people back year after year. Each time they visit some "Oykunites" are leaving multiple reports hence this hotel has at the last count some 223 reviews? Please note these are NOT 233 different reviews therefore it mathematically creates a false rating. So be aware.

The Hotel.
This Hotel is actually 2 hotels with 2 blocks and 2 pools with a central reception, bar and restaurant. Both blocks are 4 storeys high and there are NO lifts! This hotel is situated back from the main strip of Calis with a busy duel carriageway facing block 2 and relative quiet back street and garden to the rear of block 1. The standard of rooms is a little better than average size wise (They tell me block 2's rooms are smaller?)So basically nothing to shout about. I have been in better and worse. The sheets are changed twice a week and towels every 2 days. Again nothing special in this type of Turkish accommodation. The cleaning standard was good.

This hotel seems to attract more of a mature clientele that like the location and terrain which is flat. Most people I spoke to had been at least once if not every year so I guess the management are doing their job and creating an atmosphere that is inducing repeat business. I am unable to comment on the high season clientele.

Unlike some of the "Oykunites" reports I did not find the staff to be either friendly or rude and to be honest I have no idea who the owners where? but I only went for a week :-) As for the glowing remarks about this bar guy called "Freddy" I expected Mr Dynamo :-) but I guess his batteries must be getting low in October? Unless of course it was because I did not spend enough at the bar? Who knows?

The one glowing report I can make is the breakfast. I have never seen so much variety in all my time in Turkey including omelet’s and fried eggs every other day, Definitely a plus point:-) A real good spread as we would say. Another good point to mention for this hotel is that it keeps its beer and water prices as completive as the surrounding bars and mini markets.

I went for a quiet week in October but unfortunately for me (good for the Oykun) a party of 28 bowlers arrived! All of whom must have been deaf and insisted on shouting to each other whilst only being yards away! Shattering the peace and tranquility of what otherwise would have been a pleasant holiday. I would have expected a little more respect for other guests from a senior party like this but they just seemed to monopolize the hotel! One or two guests remarked on this and found it off putting. Moreover a lot of this party talked loudly in the corridors during the nighttime. It was not the hotel's fault, because ill-mannered people are everywhere, but it happened night after night!

Health and Safety. If you are wheelchair bound then the ramps to the restaurant and bar are far to short and steep. There is no wheelchair access ramp to block 1. A handrail on the main entrance would not go amiss (especially on wet days!) likewise a handrail on the stepped entrance to the pool at block one would have made entering and exiting the water safer for both old and young.

Block 1 has showers over an enameled bath (not the wisest idea even in the UK) again a grab rail to assist getting in and out of the bath and as an emergency "grab" should you slip would make sense.

In conclusion the Oykun is an above average hotel that manages to go that extra mile and due to the flatness of Calis attracts repeat business. It also represents extremely good value for money.

Calis Beach must have the scruffiest and dirty beach I have seen in Turkey! Seems to be managed by the local council (not very well) Not really appealing to the "beach" lovers amongst us :-( Plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from along the "Strip" all competitive and fighting to relieve you of your Turkish Lira :-)

Room Tip: Remember this Hotel is 4 Floors high with no lift! I asked for a ground floor room but did not get i...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katzzo
Reviewed 18 October 2011

we have just returned from our stay at the oykun,it is a friendly hotel very clean where the staff work very hard.Half board is a bit repetitive after a few days, so best to go b&b and explore the host of wonderful restaurants with amazing quality and variations and such low prices,especially the Moussakka family restaurant right in the sea front with momma doing the cooking!Calis is very well placed to explore the region with the Dolmus mini coaches being so reliable and can go for miles for a pound! they are strictly regulated and all display their prices. Beware October dates as we had several days of torrential rain as it comes to the end of their tourist season! all in all very good value for money especially their markets where it is fun to haggle.Shame our holiday was marred by one very unpleasant woman at the cutoms checkin going home as she did her best to make a number of people remove items from their cases,which were not overweight and made us and others send items home in the aircraft hold where we all had to queue to pay £15 so called excess baggage!! not overweight!!that is on top of including a £10 note in your passport when you arrive!and be warned they dont give change.

Room Tip: Ask for room in block away from main road!
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This was our 3rd year running at the Oykun Hotel.
This time we came on the 19th September 2011 for
3 weeks b/b.
We had booked the Hotel taxi,after arriving at Dalaman
airport,we were met by the taxi driver, who was in fact
the masseur at the hotel.
There was another couple for the taxi,who were also
staying for 3 weeks,plenty of room in the 8 seater people
carrier, the journey to the hotel took 50 mins.
When we reached the hotel,we were met by Oykun,his wife
Berna,his father Ibrahim, & the evergreen Goldie ( Gulden ).
We never touched our cases,& did not see them again until
we went to our room.
My wife asked Oykun where his mother Guler was,he replied
she was in the garden of their villa,& he took my wife to see
her.When you visit the hotel,it is not a hotel to us,it feels if
you are being welcomed into their home.
After unpacking I went down to reception to pay for our hotel
& taxi, B/b was £13pp per night in september, & £9 a night in
October,with the taxi fare was £65 for 2 people,the total bill
was £539,I paid Goldie,she said I owe you a £1,I said that
it did not matter, & that I was going to the bar for a drink,
Oykun came & took us to the bar telling Velia to give us
each a bottle of efe's on the house.
We were in the old block this time,being a double bed, &
a shower over the bath.nice room but my wife prefers the
new block.
One thing I would ask Oykun to do is move the safety
deposit boxes in the room,they are positioned in the
wardrobe but on the floor, I would ask that the boxes be
put higher up on the top shelf,which is about waist high.
Being anyone with bad knees or back have a problem
using the safe.
All the staff work tirelessly in the hotel,Mamet the head
waiter & his new waiters,also Freddie & Velia in the bar.
We had a lovely maid called Ulviye for our room,she
really looked after us.
On the wednesday night on the 21st we had a bad storm,
next morning the staff & Ibrahim,Guler were doing the
clear up,nothing seems to deter these people,they work
has a team.
Every morning the staff clean the sunbeds, during our
3 week stay the restaurant floor was hosed down &
cleaned,everbody mucking in.
The rooms are cleaned every day, towels could do with
soom softner, sometimes a bit rough.
The breakfast consisted of omlettes,fried,boiled eggs,
sliced potatoes,sausage etc,somedays there was pancakes,
not a lot of times this year though.
There was lovely fresh bread,cereals,jams,honey,meats,
cheeses,fresh fruit,juices & nescafe coffee out of a machine.
The toaster broke down oneday,but next day there was a
new one.
My wife had a bad cough one afternoon, I asked Velia about
some honey,no problem he sent a waiter for some,boiled the
kettle & cut up a lime, then gave my wife to ease her cough.
Sunday was roast day,chicken or beef, sorry to say the chef
could not do yorkshire puddings,They were more like
dumplings, very soggy.I said next year my wife would show
him how to make proper yorkshire puddings.
At breakfast Berna & Guler were always on hand to help the
staff,after breakfast they used to come & sit with us for a
natter, Ibrahim always saying good morning & saluting me.
In fact one day Ibrahim was paying Goldie some money in
reception out of his wallet,I asked if he had any for me,he
just gave me his wallet,thats the type of person he is.
Goldie is the main link in the hotel,overseeing that everyone
is looked after,in giving information also to any small details.
We had the sauna,scrub,turkish bath & oil massage has
normal,this was 110T/L for 2 people,well worth it.
We hired a fridge & safe for 3 weeks at a cost of 165T/L,
working out at 55T/L a week.
Efe's large bottle was 4.50T/L,1 litre bottle water 1.50,
Vodka / mixer 8.50T/L.
Hotel gave 2.70T/L to £ sterling on arrival, 2.80T/L to £
sterling later during holiday.
We had a few evening meals & afternoon snacks in the
hotel,which were very good value for money.
On the last night sunday 9th October,we had the worst
storm we have ever seen while visiting Turkey,we had
water coming through the window,where the seal was
off,the water was just like a tap coming through,I ended
up putting a towel in the window frame to stop it,then
sent for towels to mop up the water on the room floor.
The staff next morning were cleaning everything up, on
walking to the beach the coconut umbrella's were bent
all shapes & the council were taking them away in
lorries.
Monday 10th October we travelled to Dalaman airport,
this time Oykun's father Ibrahim took us.
While we were there it was Oykun's birthday,we had a
special card done,with his picture on,it was a nice
surprise.
We will be back next year, the Oykun is like a bug,it gets
you & you want to return.
Thank You again the Oykun Hotel.
Best Regards Terry & Susan Harvey.

Room Tip: E mail the hotel,if you want a shower or bath / shower room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank yorkieborn
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our stay at The Oykun HOtel was absolutely fabulous yet again. It was our second time in two years and we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and friendliness of the entire staff. Goldie was so helpful to us about anything to do with sightseeing and the area and Freddie was amazing in the bar. Veli was great fun at breakfast and we loved joking with him everyday. We will definately go back as the hotel has everything and is in a perfect position for the beach and shops and restaurants. The food at the hotel was excellant and the cleanliness was exceptional. I think all the staff deserve a huge pay rise as they make the hotel what it is. Absolutely Fabulous!!! Kim and Sally from London and Birmingham will return as soon as possible. x

Room Tip: The new block is nice but the old block is quieter and rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends