“Scruffy, needs a lift but get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Moon Hotel

Golden Moon Hotel
Ranked #8 of 92 Fethiye B&B and Inns
Dorking, United Kingdom
“Scruffy, needs a lift but get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed for one night. Friendly reception but room small and a peculiar humming sound coming from next door which thankfully stopped at around 12.30. Called reception for assistance but "no speak English" was the response. We were off season and the room was very cold. The A/C/room heater would not work at all so we stayed cold all night. The shower was hot thank goodness but the room was shabby. There is no lift. The breakfast buffet was average. A budget choice and good location hence average rating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julian B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
south yorkshire
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was my first time to Turkey and it exceeded my expectations. I had a lovely time. The hotel was nice and friendly. It was very clean and I slept lovely to say I forgot my neck pillow. The beds were made everyday with a little creation left made out of towels. The room I was in overlooked the pool so I had a nice view.
The staff were nice and friendly too. The hotel is in an ideal location for the beach, shops and restaurants. It was more or less out of season when we went so the pool bar wasn't open but outside was lovely they have a great pool which I didn't go in as we went the beach or travelled on our days here.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sungodess1973
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

great hotel, was 10th visit in 7 years, clean, friendly, lovely staff who really look after you Mete and his team, Ali, and Yelda are fantastic. My travelling companion has been going since 1999. Made so many good friends who all come back year after year, its a home from home. Just booked for 2014

Room Tip: avoid 3rd floor promo rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jan G
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Second year running at the Golden Moon and once again it didn't disappoint!!
Staff were so friendly and helpful, couldn't do enough for us, we were in the holiday mood as soon as we stepped over the threshold!!
Ali and Kemal were stars behind the bar, always very attentive and cheerful, keeping us entertained!!
Yelda was very helpful and dealt with everything that was asked of her in typical Turkish timescales, lol. Mete the manager was a true gentleman, polite, pleasant and very professional!! As for Mariam the maid and her co worker, I've never met anyone so happy in their work, and so artistic with towels n flowers!!!
We got married during our stay and with 50 odd guests making regular appearances at the hotel we couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome!!
So for a fantastic friendly place to stay that's amazing value for money get booking! Location was perfect, rooms great size and spotless, speciality nights great value for money, pool area a credit to the gardner, so well kept and always plenty of sun loungers!!
Promo rooms are on top floor and a bit dark but they are cheaper and if you do your homework you know what your getting before you book, my son stayed in one and had no complaints.
We love it so much that we had rebooked within 48 hours of getting home.

• Stayed September 2013
united kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at the Golden Moon Hotel on our first visit to Calis beach in September this year. Our friends were getting married out of Fethiye Marina and they and several other guests also stayed at Golden Moon for varying durations. Having only been to Turkey once the first impressions were that it was basic but clean. The road outside the hotel with bins overflowing etc was a little off putting at first but I had done my research and knew pretty much what to expect. We were given a room on the side and our friends, the bride and groom to be, were arriving 3 days after us. We requested pool view, but being a small hotel obviously not everyone can get this guarantee. We spoke to both Mete and yelda and reception about our request and within 2 nights they had juggled things around and we were given a lovely pool view on the 2nd floor, our friends had one on the floor below.

As the holiday went on we grew to love the Golden Moon, although it was full at points during our 17 night stay we found it quiet around the pool and never had a problem getting a sunbed. Breakfast was basic, but typically Turkish I believe with a selection of cold cheese, meats, salad, breads, ceral etc and on the occasional days hot food was served, scrambled egg, omelettes, cheese rolls and pancakes, this would be nice if that became a daily thing. We did not eat any evening meals at the hotel except for the BBQ night where we took the opportunity to invite a good number of the wedding guests to come along for the evening, there was around 20 of us in the end I think and we had a great time, the food was very good and they sat us in the middle by the pool. We also arranged to have a Pool competition with Ali the barman, we'd been practicing that morning and I had commented to Ali that they needed a new set of balls - I was just joking really, but that night he arrived with a brand new set of pool balls!. We had great fun and there was a good atmosphere, some of the other guests joined in with us also. I think we only ate one lunchtime meal around the pool also and sometimes we went to the beach for the day, I never felt like we were treated differently because of this, obviously they must know that there is plenty of other choices nearby and better atmosphere.

We found the drink prices ok, I think a beer was 1-2 TL more than the majority of bars we went to on the strip, Josephs, Ali's etc.. the spirits were expensive, but they are expensive in Turkey, even the local brands have a lot of tax on them. A gin and tonic was 2-3 TL more than most of the bars we went to, and most places we went a reasonable size glass of wine was around 10TL. There are bars within a couple of minutes walk so you do have a choice and don't have to drink in the hotel.

Yelda on reception can come across as a little abrupt, I think this is just her manner and if you take the time to talk to the staff they are very helpful and we had a lot of fun with them, even the night porter who doesn't speak any English! The cleaners do a great job and the place is kept very clean, the pillows were a little uncomfortable (in my opinion, I like a flat soft pillow) and I had taken a cushion from the bar area to use one night as i had a stiff neck, the next day the maid had replaced my pillow with a new softer one, so she must have realised without me even asking, they also happily ironed some of our clothes for the wedding - we tipped well for this of course but it wasn't asked for.

Just a couple of other points: If you are arriving at night the welcome from the hotel could do with some improvements, especially for a first time visitor..the night porter speaks no English and you get your key given to you, your passport taken off you and shown to your room with no information on what time breakfast is etc.. the bar is generally closed sometime after midnight unless there are late drinkers about so it can be a bit daunting for people when they arrive through the night, but remember, this is Turkey and things are different here! Also, if you do arrive during the night and there is a problem with your room you are not going to be able to do anything about it there and then, so best to get off to sleep and sort it out in the morning with reception.

Also, I think the charges for the safe are a bit steep, most places we have been before they are either free of charge or you pay a deposit for the key which you get back at the end of your stay, not a charge per day. That said, I would still never go without a safe regardless of the cost.

Overall we had a great time and have already booked to return next year, for the price you can't really complain, less than £20/night for 2 people b&b?!, I know some people who travelled to the wedding stayed in more expensive places but preferred the Golden Moon. Yes, be aware that the Promo Rooms have no balcony and just a small roof window and the rooms are dark, this is why they are cheaper than normal rooms. I have heard that they do have plans for these rooms but I don't know how true that is, or how long it will take.

Aircon and Wifi were free and the aircon was good and not too noisy, always a plus.

I know the new owner is making changes gradually and will be looking forward to returning next year to see what's changed.

Room Tip: Pool rooms have a nicer outlook, Corner rooms are more spacious. Beware the promo rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank janeymates
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

After writing such a glowing review of this hotel previously, it saddens me that after my visit this summer I have to write another. I will start on a high and say that our room was fantastic, spacious and cleaned every day to a high standard, the cleaning staff are always smiling and friendly and kept our room beautifully. Unfortunately everything else was not to the high standard. The drinks prices in the Golden Moon as extremely overpriced, most drinks costing double, even 3x the amount of the same drink in other places in Calis, a white wine and sprite can be bought on the beach front for around 5-7TL (inclusive of the beautiful view) whereas in The Golden Moon we were paying 15TL. After reading previous reviews people put this down to 'A hotel bar being more expensive' after staying and drinking in many other hotels I assure you this is not the case many other hotels offer low prices, not only the drinks but the food in the Golden Moon is extremely over priced. My main concern is not with the price but upon deciding that it was extremely expensive we decided we would have one drink at the hotel and then move on to other bars and restaurants around Calis. Although upon arrival to the hotel the staff were friendly courteous and polite this soon fizzeld out as they realised we werent eating/drinking at the hotel and they could barely manage a smile or hello as walked through the hotel which only discouraged us from sitting at the bar more, because we chose not to eat or drink there it appeared the staff could not be bothered to acknowledge us, and at times were slightly rude making our last day or 2 in the hotel a little uncomfortable. I really did love this hotel previously but if they want their customers to stay in the hotel drinking and socialising they should think about lowering their prices and not ignore people that choose not to.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mands88
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We went for a week to the golden moon, Ali and staff were very helpful and the hotel was very nice, room 212 had a balcony and was spacious. We went BB and breakfast was ok something for everyone. Met people that have been going to this hotel for many years. Just around near the bridge is your boat tripsm we did the Blue Bay trip 35Lira well worth it, fab bbq on boat. You also get the ferry from here to Fethieye,5Lira really lovely, A tip dalaman airport a beer 20lira and food so so expensive, so take food to airport yourself. The beach is just round the corner also fabulous sunsets. Had a great time, thankyou Lorraine and Bri

Room Tip: Room 212 You can see the sea from there
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple