“Okay needs some TLC!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Destan
Ranked #83 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely looking hotel with beautiful views and lovely rooms, it had a lovely quiet atmosphere too ! But the hotel felt like it needed some TLC from its owners and staff, they seemed to focus on the bar at the front too much ! Seemed like the actual hotel had been forgotten! Also, the breakfast could of been better..we didn't think it was good value for money! Could be a great hotel if they didn't just focus on that one area.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 17 September 2013

First off, I haven't written a long review in a while but its needed here. Regardless of whatever Management want to respond with, they can't argue any of the facts I am going to put below. This hotel is horrendous. I spoke with people who stayed in June who said they really cared about their guests and now it was coming to the end of season they couldn't care less.

*Note, please if you booked and you paid for air conditioning make sure you have it on a voucher and make them give it you, without it they kick and scream and try and get £35 off you for the week. Safe is £2 a day for info.

Ok, so we arrived late on saturday night after having a nightmare with the transfer, we were greeted by one man leaving the reception area and a man sitting behind the desk glaring at us like we'd wronged him in a previous life. Travelling with my wife and little baby I asked if they could possibly provide us with a quieter room away from the bar to help him sleep at nights, the response was 'I'll have a look mate, *3 seconds pass and a key gets slammed on the desk* right come on mate lets go mate'. We were then walked to our room that was facing the bar that had blurring music!! I know what you're thinking, there may not have been available rooms but there were, the hotel was half empty!! When we got to room the guy couldn't sort the room key into the electronic system. Being very tired and stressed and having a baby that was 5 hours passed his bed time it would have been easier to just give us another room. NO!! He made us wait 10 minutes while he repeatedly slammed the card into the reader until it eventually worked.

Day one - We went down to breakfast at 9:30 (breakfast is 8-10) and guess what (see pictures) NOTHING!!... When asked why there was nothing, the guy responded 'it's because people have more than one service', it's a buffet breakfast, use a few braincells!! We went hungry and had to go out and spend more money on food. Nobody even attempted to clean the room. The hotel had introduced a new swing facility, please be careful when allowing your child to play on this as you'd expect they'd have safety pre-cautions, they don't. My child fell off and burst his lip and caused bruising to his knees and arms. Good start to the holiday.

Day two - Once again, no breakfast, we accepted at this point that this was the norm and went out to eat again. There wasn't enough water for a cup of tea and when one guy was going to bring a new drum, a senior member of staff waved him away and told him to put it down. We ran away to the beach this day thank god. That night when we came back after having dinner, I had to go to reception to ask them to turn the music down at the bar, guess how many people were in the bar other than the barman?.... Correct, none!

Day three - There was a raised metal divider in our room between carpet and hard floor that was raised which went un-noticed by myself and my wife. My little boy caught himself on it and cut his toe!! Went for a cup of tea and got one this time, NO breakfast again. We stayed by the pool that day, around 2pm my little boy went for a nap and the maid actually came to clean the room. I asked if she could come back later and she agreed. We never saw her again.

Day four - We overslept so we missed breakfast this morning, not like we missed anything from other couples complaining about it later. We noticed today when actually getting in the pool that it's filthy. That then brought up the question if anyone had seen anyone attempt to clean it?.. Everyone looked at each other bemused as they hadn't. There were cups, bottles, half eaten food and insects everywhere. Disgraceful.

Day five - Managed to actually get breakfast this morning at 9:30!! Massively surprised even if it was only a couple of boiled eggs. Once again nobody cleaned our room. Practically a full week now without being cleaned however someone did come in to give us clean towels?... The hell. We spent another day around the dirty pool because our little boy didn't want to go to the beach.

Day six - Managed another couple of eggs this morning, it wasn't enjoyable around the pool as the hotel was offering a hostess' daughter a birthday party so all PAYING guests got moved completely away from one end of the pool area to allow for this to happen. The place was a state when the party had concluded and you guessed it... Nobody cleaned anything!! We had cake left, piles of plates with half drunk drinks.

Day seven - we went down to the pool to find all the food from the previous day still there, there was now an invasion of insects. There was smashed glass still on the floor, not good when there are paying guests with children. When a woman complained they finally sent someone up to clean it, they took my drink. When I went down to the bar to tell them to replace it, they tried to make me pay. Lets say the barman wasn't feeling up to taking it off me. The day was then just filled with complaints from other stayers...

On leaving day we ordered food, I ordered a breakfast which is dearer than any other bar around so I thought it'd be good, it wasn't. The bar knew they had no sausages, when questioned why I was asked to pay full price they said they give me more bacon. They didn't and knocked off 1TL which is about 33p. I couldn't unrecommend this further. I'd warn anyone with kids not to bother. Stay up the road at the Monte Verde, it's an amazing hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms and amazing service.

Thanks, for taking the time to read my review.

Bottom line, the hotel is a tip. The staff don't care. The staff are in some cases incompetent and useless. I won't be staying here ever again.

Oh one last thing, they have NO entertainment also, children have no activities.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank UKworldtrotters
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Hotel is in a great rooms clean and a good size, my only complaint would be the cleanliness off the large pool, had to complain twice but they did then go and clean around. This wouldn't put me off staying again. Listen out for the cockerel!!!! had a great holiday

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

All the staff were very helpful and friendly, accommodation was clean and comfortable. We had a wonderful stay. The pools were excellent and plenty of sun beds. Got a bit noisy at night as quite close to town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
1  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed as a couple, July 19th - 29th 2013

To start, I must say that the fact this hotel was advertised to us as a 4 star hotel is absolutely absurd. Stayed at Blue Bays Deluxe in Marmaris in 2011, which fitted it's 4 star rating and made this one look more of a 2 star. I can only guess that it's 'gym' is what gives it it's 4th star... And I use the word gym lightly - it looks more like a 16 year old boy has been collecting second hand gym equipment to put in his dad's garage!

We arrived just under an hour late to the hotel at around 1am, and were pleasantly greeted by... NO ONE at the reception. We waited there looking for a bell for a few minutes before having to wander around the unfamiliar grounds to find some one who may work there! Found the staff all chilling at the bar and so one of the bar staff (?) came to reception to get us our key. He took us to our room which was in the block next to the big pool, and then went to disappear. Before he did, I asked him how to work the aircon, to which he unlocked a cupboard in the wardrobe, pressed some button and handed us the remote. He told us we could pay in the morning.

The room was odd, to say the least. The cupboard with the fridge in which, presumably should have been against the wall under the tv, was pulled out in front of the balcony door and pointing towards the entrance door. It had a lock on it but it seemed our luck was in as ours was unlocked! Meaning we had avoided the ridiculous charge to use it! (Seems daft - the fridges are plugged in anyway so the hotel are paying the electric regardless of whether the holiday makers pay for the fridge!!!) There was also a random green mug on the dressing table. The furniture just did not seem to fit room: we had a double bed, a single bed, and an armchair that could double up as a single sofa bed too, all in this small room for two people! Other than this, the room was clean enough and the bathroom was really nice although the shower leaked a bit and didn't drain very well.

We spent most of the time at the big pool which was completely dead and felt like our own private pool! It did get busy towards the end of the week and they even opened the big pool bar for our last few days - what a TREAT! Most people seemed to spend their time around the small pool as the main bar has been moved to there so as to attract more customers from outside the hotel on the main road.

Now this is the one thing that REALLY got to me. We bought a large bottle of water from 'Azda' to keep in our fridge (that's what it's there for, right?) but upon walking it through the hotel we were told we weren't allowed to bring it in! I explained that we weren't drinking it now by the pool but it was for our room at night, to which we were told it was still not allowed and 'there is a big sign!!!' (the sign states not to bring in food or drinks from elsewhere, but this sign is next to the bar and so we clearly thought it meant into the pool/bar area!). We ended up sitting outside of the hotel not really knowing what to do with the huge bottle of water as she didn't even suggest what we should do with it! Tip for future guests - always take your beach bag shopping as they won't ever check in there :)

Breakfast was an absolute shocker, wasn't expecting a full english but a little bit more choice would have been nice. Only went once and just ate bread and butter. The juice is watered down so much and the container it is kept in looks like it's never had a bath, it really is quite disgusting!

Last of all the big pool area could do with a bit of a tidy up, there are bits of stone cracked all over the place which hurt when you stood on them. Didn't bother me but just thought I'd mention it for those with little ones.

Good points of the hotel - the cleaner was an absolute star, came every day except for Mondays, and if we weren't quite up and ready she would happily come back in 15 minutes and always had a smile on her face! We caught her sitting at the end of the corridor waiting one day as we were clearly the last room for her to do - bless her!!!
Milkshakes are to die for! Staff are pleasant! Hazel was really helpful ringing our transfer for us on the last day to reconfirm and find out our pick up time. Oh and you can get a mean sausage sandwich, despite it not being on the menu. (Order without salad, ain't nobody got time for that).

Overall we actually really enjoyed our time in Hisaronu, and would definitely go back to the resort in the future. Everyone is so friendly and it really is a beautiful place. Drinks aren't at all cheap, but I have come to expect this on holiday nowadays!

And to end on a very positive note, the lad who took us to our room clearly forgot to tell anyone we had aircon and so we never ended up paying for it - saving us £50! Win!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilodaisy
Reviewed 30 July 2013

the staff were some of the best ive ever met could not do any more for us the rooms were ok not the best nor the worst 2 pools both spotless the half board is off a menu so its up to you what you want and not wot someone wants to give you. breakfast was crap but you could buy a full English no info at all on the hotel or area you must try a meal at del boys the sunday lunch was 5 star and the rest was 4 star ps. the down side was having to pay for air con in one of hottest places in the world but had no choice

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david b
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at the Destan with 4 friends from the 5th July till the 15th, hands down a stunning hotel, very lovely and friendly staff a very clean, very lovely room.
I loved everything about the hotel ,and without a doubt would come back without any hesitation! Only problem I had, was when we booked our holiday, we asked for a suite and a jacuzzi.
I don't know if this was Destans fault, or the holiday company we booked with - but our room wasn't a suite but a conjoining room (not the end of the world, worked well in the end)
and our jacuzzi was just jets in the bath lol! We asked at the start of the holiday if air con was included and the gentleman said it was, only later we found out we had to pay.. which was a pain but we didn't need it in the end as our room was pretty cool.
As I said, this may not be the hotels fault, this could of been who we booked with, the maids also only came every 2 days (first time this has happened to me as maids usually come everyday in other places) but hey ho! Still lovely and clean any how.
All in all, a fantastic holiday - would love to return one day

Room Tip: The lower down rooms were very cool, the temp got up to 42 degrees when we stayed but our room was v...