“Amazing Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Destan
Ranked #83 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Reviewed 24 October 2009

After reading some of the previous reviews on the Destan Hotel i feel that i must respond.

Firstly i have to say i feel that i am in a postion to comment as i have previously lived in turkey for 6 years and been visiting this area for a total of 11 years. I have also worked within hotels in the area and therefore understand the ins and outs of running a hotel.

I also want to make clear that i have never worked or previously knew any of the staff within the Destan.

I chose this hotel as i thought that for the money it would be good value and i was correct.
When i arrived at the hotel i was greeted by Veysi and Ozgur. It was the early hours of the morning and they were most welcoming and friendly. They took all my luggage through to reception where the receptionist Latif greeted me with a smile and took my bags to the room.

I had a first floor room which i was most pleased with. Within the room was two single beds and a comfy arm chair, a large dressing table with mirror and chair with iron detail surrounding it. The room was very clean as was the bathroom which had a powerful shower. I had hot water even first thing in the morning which i f ound very satisfying as it was October and the weather cannot always be guarenteed.

The Pool area was also kept spotless with no visable mould as one other review stated.
I noticed that there were a sufficient amount of sunbeds even for the height of the season when taking into acount the number of rooms in the hotel. Music played around the pool was off all different genres to cater for the various age groups staying in the hotel at the time.

The food within the hotel was gorgeous and of a very reasonable price in comparison to other hotels in the area as were the drinks. eg. 1 turkish lira for a litre of water, i know of others in close proximity that charge 3 lira for the same size bottle.

The hotel is in a great location and is literally a 30 second walk from the main street and transport. Being a solo traveller i found this too be very helpful. I think this is also a good point when traveling with slightly older family members or young children as the area on the whole is quite mountainous and you will save money on buses or taxi fair througout your stay.

Overall i found the staff very friendly and professional they all work such long hours and this late in the season it can take its toll, however they never once let it show.

I intend to stay at the Destan on my next visit to turkey and cant wait too see them all for a catch up.

They only bad thing i can say about the hotel is that Veysi supports Liverpool. (haha)

Susie Edwards
Essex

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 October 2009

My girlfriend and I have just returned from Hisaronu after an eleven night stay at the Destan. I really feel that we must defend the bad reputation that this hotel seems to have acquired. This review is completely honest and accurate based on our stay there.

After reading some of the reviews, we really were expecting the worst. We had one of the budget roof rooms, which are apparently the worst in the hotel. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Although the room was quite dark with little daylight, (having only a small triangular window) it, along with the bathroom, was very spacious. I have read a review stating that someone banged their head on the ceiling when they sat up in bed in the morning but I am 6’7” and I didn’t find this a problem, the room was also big enough that we could have moved the bed and still had plenty of room.

The inlet pipe to the toilet cistern did have a small leak, but so did the toilet in the Gatwick Travelodge and that cost us £57 for one night. The shower however was fantastic and very powerful, the downside being that it was only hot in the evenings due to solar panel heating.

As for the staff, they were all friendly but most spoke limited English. Veysi the barman spoke very good English, so any problems go to him if no reps are around. Regarding previous reviews, we only saw one of the staff drunk and this was at 1.30 am when he wasn’t working, and he was friendly and amusing, not causing any problems. As they work very long hours for very little money, (Veysi worked everyday 11am to 2-4am depending on how busy the bar is) we had no problem with this... In fact, I only had two drinks accepted from the barstaff the entire stay. We have read reviews stating that staff were aggressive to guests but after being told (by another guest) of a drunken guest deliberately trying to initiate a fight and the professional manner in which the situation was handled I find this hard to believe. We were woken up once but this was by inconsiderate guests returning drunk and the hotel cannot be held responsible for that.

Although we didn’t eat at the hotel, the food looked very good, as was all the restaurant food at the resort. We were never pressured into eating there either. Basically, we would have a drink at the bar before eating out and mostly when we returned at night.
We spent most of our days in Oludeniz but did spend a couple of days at the hotel’s pools which were both very clean.

In summary, if you want to find fault with the staff and this hotel, you will find it. But if you go with reasonable expectations and don’t expect The Ritz I think you will be pleasantly surprised. From our experience if you are polite and courteous to the staff, you will be treated likewise. Also, learn a few basic Turkish words, please, thank you etc. This goes down very well the locals and you will get treated with more respect.

If like us, all you are after in a hotel is a shower and a bed then the Destan is more than adequate. If however, you want more luxury then maybe it isn’t for you. Just for the record I am 43 and my partner is 30 and we are both professional people. I mention this just to clarify that we are not ‘chavs’, then again, nor are we snobs. We both agreed that we would not hesitate to stay at the Destan again.

We paid a total of £628 between us for our holiday of which £109.20 was for our accommodation and breakfast (less than £10 per night). If you paid substantially more than this don’t take it out on the Destan, blame your travel company, as they will be the ones who have pocketed the difference.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SteveandKari
Reviewed 1 October 2009

myself and my husband have had many holidays in turkey and loved every one of them, but this hotel was really bad. the hotel is cheap but most are in this resort so we was expecting basic but clean. when we arrived we was greeted by a receptionist who was no more than 20 yrs old wearing a football shirt , he gave us a key for our room didnt inform us about any facilities in the hotel although he was distracted at the time trying it n with a young girl next to the pool! the hotel room was dirty small and noisy the balcony was very small and the chairs where broken. the staff was nearly all young males who spent the whole time trying there luck with the young and old female tourists staying at the hotel. whilst we was there for one week 2 other couples arrived and insisted on being transfered. also in the hotel rooms there was no hot water in any of the rooms till late at night so there was no option to shower in the mornings.the pool was also dirty and had green mould all around the edges..the pool was hardly used by any of the guests,the bar staff were drinking with the guests all day and night. we would never stay in this hotel again and i can only think that any of the goo reviews that have been written are by the woman who are visiting the male staff at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2009

This hotel was the worst ever it was shabby and run down when booking in we had to go through a smelly bar.the room i had was in a basement along a long dark corridor. my veiw was a stone wall with rubbish in it the balcony eas wet and dirty the bathroom was mouldy with the shower door faulty i had to lift it on and off the toilet rocked from side to side and the electrics were faulty when plugging the hairdryer in the lights went out. We went to breakfast on our first day to see the waiters asleep on the bar so we never went back again. how anybody recomends this dump amazes me. this was my 16th time in Hisaronu and the worst

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Shelley2009rugby
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Please read this review before making any decisions based on what those have written before......this really is a hotel worth trying.

My partner and I first arrived when we turned up at our original hotel (Balkaya) and was told there was no room. We were sent to the Destan for the day and thank god we were. (Please see the review for Balkaya for details) We had to pay again but it was only £10 pppn and well worth the money.

The rooms were basic but clean and included a TV and hairdryer. Air-con is £3 per day but we didnt really need to use it. The cleaner comes every day to change the bed, refresh towels and clean the room which made our stay even more enjoyable.

The hotel is situated just off the main strip and a very central location for all tours and activities in the area, all the tour operators collect you from your hotel anyway. There are two main pools; one which is more for children and another which is much quieter and chilled. At both pools there is a varied menu, free pool table and lots of space.

On our first night we were invited to a Turkish night in the hotel which was fantsatic, there was lots of choice with food and the entretainment was amazing. I would recommend it just to see the fire perfomer alone, although there was also a traditional dance troup and belly dancer and we had a great night.

The drinks are best priced in the hotel where you can get a local spirit and mixer for 6TL (about £2.40) and imported spirits are about 10TL (£4.00). Prices vary on the main strip but we found Hustlers good value for money where a Vodka Red Bull is about 7TL (£3ish) and before long we were dancing on the bar. Most bars are like this but we found it more lively at the weekend.

I cannot fault the service in any restaurant we visited and the staff could not do enough. I would recommend Panda which has a massive english breakfast for 5TL (£2) Also Chilli land (Mexican) in St Nicholas arcade was really good and the traditional turkish restaurant opposite SunTrap was amazing.

We went on a boat trip which visited 5 islands but there are trips which covered 12 islands although I can't see it being physically possible as 5 was more than enough. The aqua park at Ovacik is really good and you can either book through a tour operator or catch one of the mnay dolmuses which are very regular and a quick and cheap way to travel to Ovacik or Oludeniz. We also went to Oludeniz beach which was beautiful. There are many private sandy beaches most of which charge entry but the beach we visited was stoney but still beautiful.

Finally, I would just like to add that the staff at the Destan hotel made out holiday and were amazing. Thanks especially goes to Imam and Veysei. This hotel has something from everyone and I would recommend this destaination and hotel to all ages and tastes.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vikki_ball
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Overall a very good value hotel in a good location in Hisaronu centre.

Rooms and room service -
Basic and little in the way of furnishings. Adequate size with small balcony. Shower leaked a bit but this did not cause big problems. Generally clean but room service could be more attentive (floors not cleaned properly for example). Timings of room service were erratic and this didn't suit us. Beds comfortable. Fairly frequent power and water cuts (I understand this is common) which was frustrating, for example when needing to shower for day trips out.

Food -
Did not try the food at the bar, although this looked reasonable and the prices were in line with those at other bars. The hotel has a policy which states that no food or drink should be brought into the hotel, although we saw people doing this and there are ways to get around this if you are careful. The drink prices were very reasonable and the price of water wasn't much more than at the local supermarket. The breakfast was simple but adequate and consisted of juice, tea, coffee, bread, boiled eggs, jam, olives, cheese, ham, tomato, cucumber and corn flakes - there were some issues with availability of items if you went towards the end of breakfast (8-10 am)

Service -
Staff were generally pleasant and helpful and we had no issues with them. The maids were particularly friendly.

Pool/facilities -
Being a simple hotel, there are no facilities beyond the bar mentioned above and two swimming pools. The first pool is at the hotel entrance, with cascade, and attracts a bigger, noisier crowd. We preferred the decent sized pool at the rear of the hotel which was much quieter - getting sun beds was no problem and there was plenty of space around the pool.

Location -
Very central, close to the Azda supermarket in the middle of Hisaronu, so great for strolling into during the day or night for shopping, drinks or for food. The dolmus could be caught under five minutes walk away for journeys to Olu Deniz beach, to Kayakoy and to Fethiye. Due to its central location, there was a fair amount of noise at night times from neighbouring bars and hotels.

Activities -
There is a weekly barbecue and some activities organised each day e.g. bingo. Generally, this is a quiet hotel and entertainment was low key.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank argerich1
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We were looking for a reasonably cheap week holiday and since the euro was at an all time low we decided to travel back to turkey for a nice relaxing break. Since we booked the holiday only a month before our week off of work and uni the options were quite slim but we got a good offer of the Destan with good flights and a bed and breakfast set up.It was after this that we checked some reviews online,and well we did consider backing out since alot of people said that noise,cleanliness and attitude of staff were an issue,but we stuck to our guns and im glad we did. We arrived quite late on the Thursday night (well friday morning) and were greeted with a few drunken bar staff,and what seemed to be sons or nephews on reception so our expectations were low to start,the room was pretty basic and it did have two single beds,but some re-arranging soon sorted that out and the maids didnt change them back to singles either. The friday we had a proper look around and discovered that it was alot better in the day than it was at night time and fresh eyes did make a difference. The resort of Hisaronu is very nice,it has been made with tourists in mind with alot of nice eating and drinking places that are very well priced. The hotel its self had a restaurant but we prefered eating out as it was the first time at that resort. The breakfast was simple but nice and the bar snacks etc were very well prepared and tasted good too. The only downside to the room was the sink did have a leak, and like someone else said there was a slight ant problem but we never had food in the room so they were on the small balcony,even then it was only for a day or so. The one draw back was the reception service was quite poor,unless you went first thing in the morning there would be a chance that the people either didnt actually work on the desk or couldnt speak very good english. I think the overly bad reviews on here are maybe justified in the sence that no its not brand spanking new and there were some issues with the staff but the age of the residents were a mix of 20's to 60's so there wasnt lots of noise at nights and even by the pool the music was quite low so i would say that it did cater to a large age group. If you are curious about the hotel and you are or were thinking of staying i would recommend it and if there are any queries you could contact your travel operator and they could answer questions for you. All in all its far from the Faulty Towers we were expecting so give the Destan and Hisaronu a go.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple