“I want to defend The Destan!!!”
Review of Hotel Destan

Hotel Destan
Ranked #82 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Wolverhampton
“I want to defend The Destan!!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

After arriving in the early hours, my 18 year old daughter and I were very warmly welcomed in reception and our bags were carried to our downstairs room in the main corridor. The room was amply sized with two single beds a large wardrobe television dressing table with full mirror( a must have with a teenager).
The bathroom was beautifully clean with a hairdryer attached to the wall very powerful indeed.
The view from the window was limited but we had no intention of sitting on the balcony.
The pool is BRILLIANT, huge and very, very clean and tidy. The staff were seen all day cleaning around it and removing other peoples rubbish. There are ample sunbeds and parasols, which were very much needed as it is a suntrap and the temperatures were in the 100's.
The staff bring food and drinks to where you are lying soaking up the sun. We didn't stay for any entertainment in the hotel as we have friends who live out there and stayed with them every night BUT despite what others are saying, we were never bothered or ignored for not doing so.
I would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel to people of all ages and genders, we have stayed in some dives ie; The Balkaya...but The Destan is a lovely run hotel.
You step out of the front doors and the Azda is by your side selling everything you need and the town centre is a 2 minute walk.
We did experience noise but come on, you go there for a holiday not a retreat!!! People enjoy themselves and there was never any trouble.
I hope this has allayed some peoples fears as I hate not to give credit where it is due.
We go back on July 23rd this year and are really looking forward to it .

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank di-di7159

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Istanbul
Reviewed 2 November 2009

The thing that makes this hotel exactly worst is the rooms. You are staying a hotel for resting, well sleeping and trying to prepare yourself the other beatiful day in Fethiye BUT in this hotel you can not. The hotel rooms are dirty and moistry. You cannot touch anything. Hotel is cheap but this doesn't means that can be play with human health. Here is some photos. I replaced the hotel and after saw the fiasco we had moved another place at the same day. Pls take care, there are a lot of Hotels in this region for to lodge you w/i healthy.

1 Thank koymaz

Travellers are raving about these Fethiye hotels

Liverpool
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I recently got back from a 2 week stay in Hisaronu Turkey with my best friend. We chose to stay in Destan as it was recommended from a friend who stayed here in September, also the value for money was fantastic.
When we arrived at the hotel it was early hours in the morning and we were greeted by Ozgur who helped us with our bags to reception, he was very helpful and cheerful. He left us at the reception with the night receptionist. The receptionist spoke great english so checking in was quick and easy. He shown us to our room on the first floor. The room was better than other hotels i have stayed in, in the area. 2 single beds, large mirror, dressing table, bedside table, comfy chair and even a TV. We were both pleasently impressed!
We managed to make it to breakfast in the morning even though we got in so late. Breakfast was more than a typical Turkish breakfast, plenty to go round. The serving dishes were also covered to keep away flys etc. After breakfast a young lad came and cleared away everything.
We spent the first few days around on of the 2 pools that are there. Speakers around the pool played a variety of music at a perfect volume so that you could still relax. The pool area was kept clean, even when children had played in the baby pool, a friendly guy called Faruk was always on hand to keep the area dry and safe. Plenty of sunbeds to go around aswel which is always a good thing (no people waking up at 6am to put their towels out)
We decided to eat in the hotel a few times as recommended by staff. The food was beautiful, hence us eating there more than once. Most evenings we would start the night with a few drinks in the bar area at the front. The staff were a really good laugh, and made us feel welcome and comfortable. We had a laugh with them because we are from Liverpool, Veysi is a true scouser haha! The drinks are reasonable, cheaper than most bars. On the nights we went out for dinner and drinks we didnt have to go far as the main street is so close to get to, far enough from noise from the town but just 2 minutes to walk to all bars and restaurants.
Maids were also spot on with the cleanliness, they came around everyday and they were always pleasent and friendly.

We had a fantastic time and the value for money was amazing! We can honestly say we are more than impressed with this hotel and will definitley be staying here again next summer. Thanks guys for a perfect holiday!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Essex
Reviewed 24 October 2009

After reading some of the previous reviews on the Destan Hotel i feel that i must respond.

Firstly i have to say i feel that i am in a postion to comment as i have previously lived in turkey for 6 years and been visiting this area for a total of 11 years. I have also worked within hotels in the area and therefore understand the ins and outs of running a hotel.

I also want to make clear that i have never worked or previously knew any of the staff within the Destan.

I chose this hotel as i thought that for the money it would be good value and i was correct.
When i arrived at the hotel i was greeted by Veysi and Ozgur. It was the early hours of the morning and they were most welcoming and friendly. They took all my luggage through to reception where the receptionist Latif greeted me with a smile and took my bags to the room.

I had a first floor room which i was most pleased with. Within the room was two single beds and a comfy arm chair, a large dressing table with mirror and chair with iron detail surrounding it. The room was very clean as was the bathroom which had a powerful shower. I had hot water even first thing in the morning which i f ound very satisfying as it was October and the weather cannot always be guarenteed.

The Pool area was also kept spotless with no visable mould as one other review stated.
I noticed that there were a sufficient amount of sunbeds even for the height of the season when taking into acount the number of rooms in the hotel. Music played around the pool was off all different genres to cater for the various age groups staying in the hotel at the time.

The food within the hotel was gorgeous and of a very reasonable price in comparison to other hotels in the area as were the drinks. eg. 1 turkish lira for a litre of water, i know of others in close proximity that charge 3 lira for the same size bottle.

The hotel is in a great location and is literally a 30 second walk from the main street and transport. Being a solo traveller i found this too be very helpful. I think this is also a good point when traveling with slightly older family members or young children as the area on the whole is quite mountainous and you will save money on buses or taxi fair througout your stay.

Overall i found the staff very friendly and professional they all work such long hours and this late in the season it can take its toll, however they never once let it show.

I intend to stay at the Destan on my next visit to turkey and cant wait too see them all for a catch up.

They only bad thing i can say about the hotel is that Veysi supports Liverpool. (haha)

Susie Edwards
Essex

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Cornwall
Reviewed 4 October 2009

My girlfriend and I have just returned from Hisaronu after an eleven night stay at the Destan. I really feel that we must defend the bad reputation that this hotel seems to have acquired. This review is completely honest and accurate based on our stay there.

After reading some of the reviews, we really were expecting the worst. We had one of the budget roof rooms, which are apparently the worst in the hotel. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Although the room was quite dark with little daylight, (having only a small triangular window) it, along with the bathroom, was very spacious. I have read a review stating that someone banged their head on the ceiling when they sat up in bed in the morning but I am 6’7” and I didn’t find this a problem, the room was also big enough that we could have moved the bed and still had plenty of room.

The inlet pipe to the toilet cistern did have a small leak, but so did the toilet in the Gatwick Travelodge and that cost us £57 for one night. The shower however was fantastic and very powerful, the downside being that it was only hot in the evenings due to solar panel heating.

As for the staff, they were all friendly but most spoke limited English. Veysi the barman spoke very good English, so any problems go to him if no reps are around. Regarding previous reviews, we only saw one of the staff drunk and this was at 1.30 am when he wasn’t working, and he was friendly and amusing, not causing any problems. As they work very long hours for very little money, (Veysi worked everyday 11am to 2-4am depending on how busy the bar is) we had no problem with this... In fact, I only had two drinks accepted from the barstaff the entire stay. We have read reviews stating that staff were aggressive to guests but after being told (by another guest) of a drunken guest deliberately trying to initiate a fight and the professional manner in which the situation was handled I find this hard to believe. We were woken up once but this was by inconsiderate guests returning drunk and the hotel cannot be held responsible for that.

Although we didn’t eat at the hotel, the food looked very good, as was all the restaurant food at the resort. We were never pressured into eating there either. Basically, we would have a drink at the bar before eating out and mostly when we returned at night.
We spent most of our days in Oludeniz but did spend a couple of days at the hotel’s pools which were both very clean.

In summary, if you want to find fault with the staff and this hotel, you will find it. But if you go with reasonable expectations and don’t expect The Ritz I think you will be pleasantly surprised. From our experience if you are polite and courteous to the staff, you will be treated likewise. Also, learn a few basic Turkish words, please, thank you etc. This goes down very well the locals and you will get treated with more respect.

If like us, all you are after in a hotel is a shower and a bed then the Destan is more than adequate. If however, you want more luxury then maybe it isn’t for you. Just for the record I am 43 and my partner is 30 and we are both professional people. I mention this just to clarify that we are not ‘chavs’, then again, nor are we snobs. We both agreed that we would not hesitate to stay at the Destan again.

We paid a total of £628 between us for our holiday of which £109.20 was for our accommodation and breakfast (less than £10 per night). If you paid substantially more than this don’t take it out on the Destan, blame your travel company, as they will be the ones who have pocketed the difference.

1 Thank SteveandKari
england
Reviewed 1 October 2009

myself and my husband have had many holidays in turkey and loved every one of them, but this hotel was really bad. the hotel is cheap but most are in this resort so we was expecting basic but clean. when we arrived we was greeted by a receptionist who was no more than 20 yrs old wearing a football shirt , he gave us a key for our room didnt inform us about any facilities in the hotel although he was distracted at the time trying it n with a young girl next to the pool! the hotel room was dirty small and noisy the balcony was very small and the chairs where broken. the staff was nearly all young males who spent the whole time trying there luck with the young and old female tourists staying at the hotel. whilst we was there for one week 2 other couples arrived and insisted on being transfered. also in the hotel rooms there was no hot water in any of the rooms till late at night so there was no option to shower in the mornings.the pool was also dirty and had green mould all around the edges..the pool was hardly used by any of the guests,the bar staff were drinking with the guests all day and night. we would never stay in this hotel again and i can only think that any of the goo reviews that have been written are by the woman who are visiting the male staff at the hotel.

Rugby
Reviewed 27 August 2009

This hotel was the worst ever it was shabby and run down when booking in we had to go through a smelly bar.the room i had was in a basement along a long dark corridor. my veiw was a stone wall with rubbish in it the balcony eas wet and dirty the bathroom was mouldy with the shower door faulty i had to lift it on and off the toilet rocked from side to side and the electrics were faulty when plugging the hairdryer in the lights went out. We went to breakfast on our first day to see the waiters asleep on the bar so we never went back again. how anybody recomends this dump amazes me. this was my 16th time in Hisaronu and the worst

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Shelley2009rugby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fethiye
Ocean Blue High Class Hotel
Tolay Hotel
Tolay Hotel
#54 of 103 in Oludeniz
Lykia Botanika Beach & Fun Club

Been to Hotel Destan? Share your experiences!