“I was scammed by the owner - do not go there!”

and 1 more site!
Ideal Pension Hostel
Ranked #91 of 137 Speciality Lodging in Fethiye
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is by far the worst hostel/hotel experience I had in Turkey and I def. do not advise you to go there. I read a few of the other reviews left by travelers and I saw that this kind of things had happened to other people as well (just like me, directly by the owner). So I would seriously just advice you not to go there.. I don't think it's safe.

I would like to mention that the hostel/hotel is alright (in terms of rooms and cleanliness). I asked for a dorm bed, and what they gave me was a twin room (with 2 single beds) and I guess when there are other people you share it with another traveler but I was alone so it was just fine. There is hot water, it was clean etc. The location is also good, near the restaurants, shops, other hotels and marina. The problem really is the owner and how he scams his customers.

The first thing I thought was a bit weird (*just a bit of context, there were less tourists than usual this summer in Turkey do to the intense protests + the bad economic situation in Europe. in all the hostels/pensions I have been to, the staff were telling me that business was low and there was fewer customers). I get in the pension, I ask do you have a dorm bed? Yes... how much is it? 25 lyras (about 15$ US dollars). Ok good, I will take it for one night. I am the customer and I get to decide what I want! If I am traveling on a budget and want a dorm room... that's what I want, and if I want a private room I will decide and tell you! Then the owner started to try to convince me to get a private room... He was like "it's only 10 lyras more, 35 lyras, not too expensive..." jeez, I know 35 lyras is relatively cheap, but the point is I have traveled around the world for 10 months and I am more than fine with dorm beds, business was slow already in Turkey that summer, don't try to argue with me so you can get more money out of me, just be grateful already that I am coming to your pension when business is pretty bad in the lodging sector in Turkey!

Anyways. Like I said, the hostel/hotel/pension itself is ok, I don't have anything to complain about. There is a computer you can use for free as well as free wi-fi (although wi-fi didn't go all the way in my dorm room but it was working on the rooftop terrace).

I asked the owner (who speaks VERY well English, so there is no risk of misunderstanding each others due to the language) if I could book a tour to the Butterfly Valley through the hotel. He said yes no problem, it's 40 lyras. (I have been in Turkey for about a month and have always booked my activities through my pensions and had no problem until this episode). I pay him, and he tells me the next day a van is coming to pick me up at like 9 or 9h30 (can't remember exactly).

This will seem random but you will understand that it's actually very important in the story. The next morning, I pack my bags and all that (because I was checking out, was going on the boat trip and the leaving with an evening bus). I ask the manager if I can leave my backpack in his hotel.. he says no, it's best (?!) if you take it with you on the boat trip. I was like... Uh? Can't see why that would be "best", especially because I had a really big bag and it's really annoying to carry around. I try to persuade him I was like.. "I will just leave it in the common area on the rooftop and come pick it up after the boat" but he refused. (You will understand why at the end of this story).

The next day indeed there is someone that picks me up at this time. There were other tourists in the van but they did not spoke very well English. The guy (driver) seemed a bit dodgy and was like... I am the captain of the boat! (but he did not go on the boat with us so nu clue why he said that...).

He drives up to one of the beaches (Ölüdeniz) where boat trips were leaving from. He tells us to go in THAT boat (points a boat). Me and the other tourists go in. It was just ridiculous at this point because I had my big backpack and all my stuff with me and there was no pied to get on the boat and there were a lot of waves.. you had to walk on a very small lane of wood... with my big bag on my back.. just ridicoulous and dangerous.

We go on the boat and start cruising around. We stop several times for swimming or just chilling, but we never went to the Butterfly valley (I was always like... it must be the next stop.. or the next... but we ended up coming back to Oludeniz without seeing it so the trick is that the manager had obviously made me pay for the expensive Butterfly Valley tour but instead sold me a cheap boat cruising tour). This is why he had refused to keep my luggage at the hostel, because he did not wanted me to go back there and confront him. But I was so pissed off I decided to go back.

So we get off the boat (me and the other tourists that were in the van with me at the beginning). We were looking for the guy who had driven us there... we finally find him... He tells us that he doesnt feel like driving us back (?!?!?!?) and that we will have to take the public minibus. So on top of being scammed with this tour, I had to pay myself for the public minivan (I think it was 5 or 10 lyras can't remember) plus it was really slow, way slower than getting there in the van.

When I finally got back to Fethiye, I went back to Ideal Pension and told everything to the manager. He told me it was not his fault if we didnt get to go to Butterfly valley, and "what was my problem, I had spent a day on a boat having fun, what was I complaining about, I had fun"!!

SERIOUSLY. my problem is that I told you to give me a Butterfly Valley tour, you gave me something else (that I am sure was worth less money than what I had paid for) and this was my last day in the area so I could not do it another day because I was on a planned itinerary and I had to leave! I really wanted to see the Butterfly valley and did not get to do it because of that jerk, I was really pissed off! I asked for a refund but he obviously refused to give it to me.

So in my opinion... it's not safe to go there. there are other stories similar to mine here. If he does that, what else does he do? Is it safe to give this guy our passports and leave things in his safe? I doubt it!

Sorry if my story was long but I just wanted to tell it, I hope it will discourage other travelers from going there and you will go somewhere else and have a better experience in Fethiye than I did. It's a lovely place, but this just ruined it for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Cynthia T
There are newer reviews for Ideal Pension Hostel

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Nice bathroom, no aircon in my room but cool enough with the fan. Roof top terrace area where breakfast is served and reception is located is very hot. Wifi was good but didn't work in the rooms so had to sit in the hot terrace.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Travln13
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We were not expecting a greal deal for the price but as we only needed a bed for one night we decided to book there. As it turns out we were delighted and will return later in the year. The position was perfect for us as it is close to the marina and we were joining a boat there the next day. The rooms were fine and had AC, hot water, balcony and a comfortable bed. The staff were very helpful and we thought the breakfast quite generous for the price paid. It is a short walk to the center of town but there are a couple of shops at the bottom of the road if you didn't want to walk into town. The hotel offers dinner at a reasonable price and we were told by others staying there that it was good.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front road are obviously noisy with traffic but the view from the balcony makes it...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EJCBodrum
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Only stayed the one night. Wanted to stay more but was told the pension was full the next night. Didn't seem like many people were around to me. The staff member that I dealt with was not particularly helpful. Anyhow the double room I had was to the rear of the builing but had sea views from the small balcony. The room was nice enough as was the bathroom. Views from the terrace were very nice. The location is fairly central, a short walk to the main centre and the ferry to Rhodes.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The Ideal Pension in Fethiye is in a very good position with great views over the harbour, the breakfast terrace on the roof is great and very airy. The rooms are basic, but do have AC. The breakfast is basic, egg, tomatoes, cucumber and olives and bread. Coffee or tea.
All in all a very good pension at a reasonable price. The best thing is, is that if you eat with them 2 nights running you get a free boat trip.........

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BodrumAPH
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We found Ideal Pension via Agoda.com and thus got a very good price but I think the rates reasonable anyway.
The location is perfect to access the local buses, main drag for night life and nearby travel agencies.
They provide an average breakfast but it's enough to start your day.
I'd stay here again because of the cleanliness and friendly staff.
If you're looking for a travel agency near by, go to Ocean Yachting travel agency.
They are so helpful and bend over backwards to accommodate your destination desires and budget.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This is my first review on TA but I promise it's true and I'll get more up here soon. My experience at Ideal was so "different" that I felt the need to review it right away.

I'll start by saying the place itself is decent. The rooftop terrace is a highlight, with an awesome view of the bay, and the rooms are small and basic but fine. I'm not fancy and 25 Lira a night isn't going to get you a 4-post king size bed.

But the manager here is bad. In my 3 nights here, this is what I found:

First, they offer a boat trip for 45 Lira with two dinners at the hostel included. The trick is, they don't offer dinner every night. My friend stayed for 4 nights (he arrived 2 days before me) and only got 1 dinner. The manager gave him grief when he tried to ask for some of his money back upon checkout and even accused him of breaking the internet at the hostel. Seriously guy? He's the reason your wifi stopped working? He ultimately caved and gave my friend a 10 lira refund.

Next, I was planning to go to Oludeniz to book a paragliding trip because booking it yourself is about 15 Lira cheaper than booking through the hostel (obviously because he's taking a cut). I invited 2 of the other backpackers eating breakfast to come with me. He freaked out and said I was costing him business and told me I was checking out of the hostel that day. I said fine, as at that point I wasn't really comfortable with my emergency funds and passport in his safe anymore. Then asked him how much I cost him. The answer - 25 Lira - 1 night's stay. I was planning on staying at least 4 more nights and there was nobody else in my 3-bed dorm room. Now I can see why...

So I checked out and got a room at Yildirim Hostel, which has been just fine. I'll post a full review of them later.

The kicker? The next day I ran into another guy from the hostel who was at breakfast when I was thrown out. He told me he'd also been thrown out because somebody else wanted his room with a sea view and was willing to pay more. As he put it, he was offered the choice between taking a terrible room at the same rate he'd been paying or packing up and leaving.

The manager seems like a nice enough guy when you check in, but wow did he turn out to be terrible. Stay here and it might go fine, but you also might end up out on the street or he'll accuse you of breaking the internet!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo