“Great Week!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 233 Hotels in Marmaris
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great Week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

A decision late in the day to come away but well worth it! Fantastic reception at the airport with good transport to the Club. Our room was tidy and functional (all you need for an activity based holiday) - food was good, offering a wide variety of options.

The sailing facilities were also good although some of the equipment was showing wear and tear after a season's use.

We cannot speak highly enough of all the staff - cleaners, bar, kitchen, beach, social, waterski - all very helpful focusing on you the customer.

Room Tip: Remember to pack some croqs for the sea - the seabed is a little rocky in places
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank 665Richard123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

OK, so we have to declare up front, we love Neilson - this is our 8th Neilson holiday and they have never disappointed.
The flotilla was beautiful, with some of the most remote and attractive overnight stops of any we've done. The lead crew were so relaxed and such fun (thanks Adam and Pete), the boats comfortable and everything was very easy. We came back so relaxed it took me three days to remember how to make a decision again.
We had the last day at the Adakoy Beach Club. It's very pretty with lovely accommodation and great food, but having been to some of Neilson's bigger resorts, I'd say this would be too small and have too few activities for our teenage family to stay there. If you have small kids, or just fancy a week away from it all, I'm sure it's beautiful but if, like us, you go to Neilson for the tennis, sailing and other activities, I'd plump for one of the larger resorts.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank L0uPr0
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was our fourth Neilson Beachclub holiday - as you might have guessed, we're fans! But this is the first time we've taken my Step kids (aged 5 & 7). I can't say that we specifically chose Adakoy, as it was simply that we wanted to do Neilson, and Adakoy was the cheapest option at the time for us.

From booking to check in, everything was pretty simple... we got an upgrade to the premium seats on the plane, purely and simply because we hadn't checked-in online! bonus! The flight was great and the food was also tasty - the kids enjoyed it too.

Transfer took a while as some guests had lost their bags on the flight which meant that after the water taxi in the dark, we didn't get to resort til well gone midnight, which was a bit difficult for the kids.

The hotel is on it's own little space of an 'Island' - it's not really an island as such as you can cycle to Marmaris. The accommodation wasn't the nicest of the Neilson's we've stayed at (Sivota, Teos & Lemnos) but then it was 3* instead of 4* as the others are. The bathrooms was super tired. The beds were far too hard for me, even after the first night we asked for a mattress topper and that didn't help at all. It just left me sore and tired most mornings which was irritating. The air con worked perfectly and to be honest, you don't spend much time in your room, so other than the bed, we weren't complaining. We had interconnecting rooms - one which was a triple but size wise, they were superb.

I won't comment on the activities - they are all superb at Neilson resorts and most enjoyable. We mainly took part in tennis (me losing the green/blue final!) and biking - biking back to the hotel from Marmaris was awesome. We also did a lot of kayaking and SUP'ing on our own and swimming in the lovely bay.

For our first experience with the kids, it was great... they were both entertained brilliant and even if we, as the parents were just too thick too understand the different times each day! (we were late picking up a couple of times!) Both Jake and Paul were absolutely superb with our kids and Lizzie the supervisor was super patient with us and them. Couldn't have asked for more really.

The food was good, not quite as much choice as I remember, but good quality nonetheless. We did the full board option as the water taxi is pretty expensive. (£30 for family of 4 return ish) and although we felt a bit robbed missing out on the arrival night as that was when we should have had a meal, the other Bisto meal was superb. The BBQ was a little disappointing compared to other resort experiences.

The only downsides I would say with Adakoy over the other places we have visited is the separate bars - the pool bar isn't really big enough to be social in and the beach bar is the other side of the resort and so isn't really used during the day. In other resorts the bar acts as a 'hub' really and I felt this didn't work as well here.

The smell on the top tennis court from the sewers is just gross and really puts you off. Luckily, Brad and Ed (the tennis coaches) had enough character to keep you entertained. (either that or they wore enough aftershave!)

The spa is gorgeous inside, and my full body massage was the battering I needed! I did go to the 'Ladies Night', which, although fun, I did feel like I'd paid to basically be sold the whole range of products to alongside trying a few products and half a glass of vino.

And lastly, the pool is a bit small for everyone to enjoy themselves in, if the kids are in there, there's very little space to swim or do anything and if the water volleyball net is up - the most people on the front row of the sunloungers get a ball in the tummy at some point!

OK, not so lastly, if you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs! the combination of the Crickets and the noise from Marmaris travelling over the water was really annoying!

The shop on site has been the best of any resort so far and the Turkish staff are as entertaining as ever - although maybe not as interactive as our time in Teos where you genuinely felt you'd made some Turkish friends by the end of the week!

A few staff mentions, Alex, the Customer Relations Manager was superb - visible and always made herself available. Both Brad and Ed from Tennis were not only brilliant coaches but great fun. Chloe, a Nanny - who was actually on holiday that week, recognised us from our time in Teos and made an effort to come say hi all the time, which I thought was lovely.

I think we would think twice about coming back with the kids ONLY because of the flight times and with a slight delay in getting our baggage back in Gatwick and also being out of our rooms by 11am with the transfer not til 5pm and missing out on a shower spot - it was all a bit too much for the kids to get home for 2am on Sunday and we had grumpy children all day Sunday and Monday! haha.

However, I would still highly recommend this place and we've already booked to go with Neilson again in September - this time to Foca!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms will be noisier at night, but avoid rooms overlooking the tennis courts for the smell...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Jenster_royal
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd Neilson beach holiday and I'm pretty sure there'll be a 3rd.
The hotel is on a virtual island so you arrive by boat. The beach club looks like a small, pretty village from the sea so there are a number of different styles of building housing the rooms. The rooms are perfectly adequate, although the bathrooms are fairly basic. The air conditioning is effective and every room has a fridge - very useful as the weather was extremely hot.
The food was generally very good - lots of choice even for a fairly fussy eater like me! Bottled water was provided with every meal.
Neilson include lots of activities, which is fantastic, but it's also a great place just to be lazy. Even though the resort was pretty busy, I didn't have to fight anyone for a sun-lounger and I found enough shade to escape the fierce sun.
It was very hot while we were there, and the wind wasn't great for sailing, but I can't blame Neilson for that!
We had to go in August but if you want a quieter stay (and better value for money), avoid the school holidays. It is great for kids so there were hordes of them around but unsurprisingly, they can be noisy! Also noisy at night was the continuous thump of the music from across the water in Marmaris, which just made me glad I wasn't staying there!
Finally, an enormous positive for Neilson is the staff. They are all unfailingly polite and friendly, and they genuinely seem to want to make your holiday enjoyable. I'd certainly recommend it.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Fiona59
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect when we booked the hotel having never done a all inclusive summer holiday before, Neilson Adakoy delivered top notch accommodation, food and staff. It would be wrong to single out any individuals because every member really did care about delivering a great holiday to the guests. The facilities are good, the rooms basic but comfortable. We are already booking for next year, the kids had a great time and made some really good friends. my wife and I both had the most amazing break and can't wait for next year.

The nannies and mannies (Nathan) are wonderful and caring. Ed and Brad the tennis coaches are a wonderful double act that keep it fun, Luke on the bikes is a complete legend and Lloyd the club entertainer really is a great guy that makes the whole place work.

All I can say is a big thank you to all the staff and we hope to see you all next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mark S
London/Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lots to say here. We did Sail and Stay (not Stay and Sail).
So, Flotilla first:

We loved it. The Skipper, Garrit, was super-friendly and fun and calm and really let me learn without getting frightened when I was backing the boat in for the first time. Loved every single place we berthed, ranging from beautiful and deserted to a mildly-bustling town, and the briefing each day was informative and very funny too. Andy the Engineer was on every tiny problem immediately. The boat was in good condition and we felt that Neilson treated us like grown-ups. This was a great week and lined us up perfectly for Week 2, which was the Stay week....

Stay week
We feel super-positive about this. Adakoy is a lovely resort. We stayed at Phokaia last time, which is much bigger. We really enjoyed the smaller resort, although obviously there isn't quite as much to do.
The food is great! Absolutely loads of choice, fresh and healthy options, lovely lovely staff. Poached eggs in the morning a real hit, and hardly any queues - unlike Phokaia.

The Neilson staff are extraordinary. Seriously, if I'd been that mature and impressive at their age I'd be Prime Minister by now. A few particular mentions: Georgia and Honor (sailing) helped me get over my fears and making Dinghy 1 was a huge achievement for me (I appreciate that seven-year olds do this with very little trouble and that I am a bit tragic.....). The water-ski crew were astonishing too: they look sooooo cool that I thought they couldn't be nice too, but I got my feet in and decided I was too terrified and tried to get out: they were fabulously soothing and kind and I actually stood up in the end! I would never have done it if they hadn't been so kind and it was a huge achievement for me.
But our person of the week was Laura, the swimming coach. She taught my partner front crawl and this was a revelation; his improvement in a week was astonishing. I now actually have to make a slight effort to keep up with him, and I've been swimming seriously all my life. She taught me butterfly in two fifteen-minute sessions and I honestly thought I would never be able to do it before this holiday. She was encouraging, tough and expert. I know it sounds a bit dull to have a swimming lesson on holiday, but it will revolutionise your stroke, and fitness regime.

Our room was gorgeous, looking out over the sea and kept beautifully clean. Reception was polite, efficient and spoke perfect English.

Our only negative feedback is small compared to the overwhelming positive. Neilson could do with creating a bit more shade OR being tougher with people bagging loungers. We found the entertainer very inaccessible: much more interested in himself than in the guests....but our previous experience was with the legendary Tommy at Phokaia, so maybe we were spoiled before. It's true that the hill out of the resort for mountain biking is TOUGH (and we cycle every day) but Andy, the bike guy, is lovely and v chilled if people wanted to go a bit early and push up the hill before a ride rather than struggle up and feel guilty about keeping people waiting.

Altogether, we were blown away. We are lucky to have travelled a lot and been on lots of holidays, and this was one of the best ever. The Neilson training and attitude really shows through at all levels, and I am really grateful for the help I received in getting over some fears.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank Lucymarianne
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Adakoy is a jewel of a location, turkey away under protected National Park forest land and surrounded on all sides by views of mountains. The resort is tiny and you can stroll in a few minutes between your room, the beachfront, restaurant and tennis. This creates a lovely atmosphere in which to get to know the other guests on your holiday so it is simple to arrange a buddy for a sailing session and to find friends for dinner. The food was superb, varied and beautifully served, and with breakfast running from 7.30 to 11 and lunch opening up at 12.30 there's not much risk of going hungry! Anyone who knows Neilson knows the phenomenal standard of their kit, tuition and safety, but the provision at Adakoy seemed even better than other resorts. My daughter finished the regatta half an hour after the other boats after six capsizes, but the safety boat shadowed her home without stepping in to stop her, and she had a huge sense of achievement from completing the course. Novice/ anxious beginners in any water sport can feel very safe here as the staff look after you on the water so well and the sea is sheltered by the mountains and island.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of something, either sea or forest, you can choose a layout to suit your famil...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family