“Fantastic place and fantastic staff :)”
Review of Aegean Princess

Aegean Princess
Ranked #41 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Just back from an amazing holiday in Turkey with my friend. We are both 25 from Northern Ireland and stayed in the Aegean Princess for a week (you need at least 10days!!!). Be sure to have a drink or two by at the bar at night and talk to the guys, Gani and Adam are great, so helpful and polite(thanks guys)! The drinks are reasonable prices as is the lovely food available anytime of the day.

The hotel is great, two minutes from the dolomus and 1 min from a taxi stand which takes you to the center for about £4 or 11tl. The pictures on the website don't do this place any justice, it is lovely and quiet in and around the hotel and plenty of room to sunbathe by the pool or in the garden. It was at least 43C each day we were there and 30C at night! Crazy, so buy the aircon when you arrive, its so worth it just to have a comfortable nights sleep. The room is sufficient for what we needed, large fridge, kettle, plates, cups cutlery and fresh towels. There are 2 supermarkets right outside the hotel to get some fairy liquid, milk, toilet roll etc.

We booked our trips at Uncle John's at the bottom of the street opposite the ilandy? hotel, so easy and so much choice. Take the lazy boat, full day sunbathing and swim stops in the amazing blue see. We also went to the mudbaths which was good fun but very long day - 8.30am til 8pm. Parasailing is a must and also available from unlce johns.

Bar street is a must just to experience it but it is very expensive so we went to the beach club on the beach front a few nights and cheers (talk of the town) both had excellent entertainment and music and a lot cheaper.

All in all had a brilliant holiday and I hope you have as much fun on yours,
Sandy

****Remember £10 English sterling visa requirement at airport in GBP per person! There is at least a 2hour killer transfer from airport and you will need water while travelling. Don't buy anything at Dalaman airport they rip you off ! (12EURO for a box of Pringles!!!!!) Don't worry about getting lira out before you leave It is very easy to find a bank machine in Marmaris and you can get out sterling euro or lira.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank sexysandarella

Reviewed 24 August 2009

Just came back from a lovely week at the Aegean Princess, we booked this holiday as a last minute break only 7 days before we went. The apartments were much better than I expected for 3 star accommodation in Turkey. Could not fault the cleanliness, nice spacious, albiet basic, 1 bed apartments. The Aegean had a lovely little restaurant and bar with a really good value for money (6 Turkish Lira) English Breakfast (incl. back bacon and what seemed just like english bangers!). The staff at the Aegean were lovely. They were all helpful especially DANNY BOY (who spoke excellent english), he ensured all our needs were catered for and went out of his way to make sure our stay was enjoyable.

In Turkey, staff at most of the bars and restaurants hassle you constantly but not at the Aegean, although very helpful on request, they do not bother you at all, they seem to know what customer service is all about.

The maid in the hotel was friendly and left little comical 'towel oregami' each day, which my children (aged 9 and 6) absolutely loved, ie. a swan with rose petals on their bed, a little boat in which she placed 'doggie' and on our last day a dinner plate was adorned with a toweling roast chicken....brilliant!

The pool was of a medium size and was very clean, there were plenty of sun loungers and we had no trouble on any day 'bagging a bed' even though we never came down earlier than 10am. To the rear of the pool area there is also a very large grassed area also with loungers and bean bags.

We loved our little last minute break and we could have easily done another week, no problem.

Just an additional thanks also to the lovely family from Reading who made our holiday extra fun .....in traditional Karaoke style 'We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know wheeeeeeeen, but I know we'll meet again some sunny daaaay!!!! (You know who you are)

If you are going to Marmaris, stay at the Aegean, its good value for money. We would definately stay at these apartments again. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank cheekyburgers
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My family returned last night from a 7 night stay at the Aegean Princess Apartments. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and were greeted by two young men that spoke limited english. They were however polite and helped us to our room. We were aware that air conditioning was to be paid locally and this was very easily organised and was extremely useful. The unit was situated above the door inside the bedroom and by leaving the door open we found it kept the whole apartment comfortable.

We booked with Thomas Cook and was assured there would be two sofa beds for my son and daughter. Sadly there was only one. We spoke to our rather useless rep (Danika) the following morning who promised to organise another bed. After two more nights of waiting we spoke to an amazing member of staff called 'Danny-Boy' and within 20 minutes my daughter had a bed in the living room ready to sleep in.

The hotel in short is lovely. For a three star hotel I was pleasantly surprised with everything. Our room was spacious with a lovely bacony overlooking the pool which we requested. The maid was lovely and cleaned every day. Twice during our 7 day stay we returned to find amusing and creative works of art made out of towels! One day my daughters teddy was in boat, another a swan with petals sprinkled on the bed and lastly a roasted chicken made from a small towel was on a plate on the table with a knife and fork resting on the top - it was the funniest thing! The hotel was extremely clean everywhere.

The staff were friendly and helpful. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble. Service was always received with a smile especially from Danny-Boy. Every hotel in Marmaris needs someone like him! Every day Danny-Boy would greet us with a smile, ask how our day was, and gave us advice on all sorts of things to help us on our days and evenings out. As first time visitors to Turkey we found this invaluable. On our first morning down it was Danny-Boy that greeted us, asked if it was our first visit to Turkey and on discovering that it was gave us lots of usefull information. Thanks so much Danny-Boy for making our holiday brilliant!

The food was the best that we had eaten in Marmaris. Although we were only there 7 days we did eat in and around Armutalan and nothing compared to the Aegean Princess. Compliments to the chef on the flavour, presentation and quality of food. Thanks also to the staff serving in the bar and restaurant daily - you all are a great team!

The pool was sufficient in size for the number of apartments. We were always able to get sunbeds and made great use of the beautiful cool water as temperatures soared to 48. Relaxing around the pool was easy - no unwanted attention is received from waitors or barstaff which is a big plus. The staff are there whenever you need them but in no way pestered us or made us feel uncomfortable whilst in swimwear.

When out and about in Armutalan expect to get hassled whenever you walk past a restaurant, bar or shop. They are all desperate for your custom and will offer you all sorts of deals. Children up to around 14 can often eat free if you ask. Average price of local beer (Efes) is 4.5TL (approx £2) although sometimes you get 2 for one - however check because once we found the 2 for 1 price was only 1TL less than the price of two single drinks! In the beginning I found it very hard to get away from people that constantly shout 'excuse me, hello, what is your name, and anything else they can think of to get you into their bar/restaurant. My best advise is unless you are thinking of eating there just keep walking because it is relentless. It is not in my nature to be rude but at times it is sadly necessary to be rude and just keep walking.

Male attention in Turkey cannot be avoided. When drinking in bars you will find the waitors will try to get you up to dance or come talk with you to tell you how beautiful you are etc. This can at times be uncomfortable and so be careful where you drink. I often thought how I would hate to be staying in there hotel trying to relax on a sunbed in swimwear with all those waitors around - not nice!

DO NOT eat at the Taipan Chinese and Indian. My family were all ill for the night after a meal there.

Shopping -There is a market on a Thursday by the Graveyard (Danny-Boy will tell how to get there) They all sell 'Genuine Fakes' LOL If you buy really cheap then OK I guess. Teenagers love copy Bench, GStar etc but open each thing out of its plastic bag and check it before handing over any money as some are short and wide! You will get hassled on a major scale in here so if your easily intimidated don't go. SOME of the shops towards the harbour are just as cheap, air conditioned and almost hassle free so that's where I will shop next time I go.

Finally excursions. DO NOT book with your Tour Rep. You will pay 3 or 4 times as much as you do with any of the tour people just around the corner in Armutalan center. For example I paid £10 each for a boat trip around several bays of Marmaris (my 13 yr old son went free!) with swim breaks, food and drinks included. 3 girls booked with their rep on our boat and paid £29.50 each! Same again for the jeep safari (which is amazing and a must do if you don't mind getting soaked) If you can get directed to 5M travel on cream corner (5-10 mins walk for apartments) speak to Adam - he gives a really good deal and is very pleasant to deal with.

Hope this helps you enjoy your stay at the fantastic Aegean Princess Apartments. We cannot wait to go back again and have been on the internet this morning looking already!! Although this was my first trip to Marmaris feel free to ask me questions and if I can answer I will :)

Review by Iris and Clive Horsley R310 14th-21st August 09

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Tizzy146
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Arrived back home yesterday after a week at the Aegean Princess with my daughter & a friend...by the time we left we were sorry to leave our new found friends behind. The rooms are not the best but then again we didn't pay best rates so they were on par with what I'd expect. Air conditioner was in the bedroom which was great at nite but the main room was too hot to sleep in so we had to go to nearby Tesco & buy a fan...that was cheap enough & we passed it on to another family before we left.
What made the place for me was the totally relaxing atmosphere. The pool was adequate & there were sunloungers around it as you would expect in addition they had a large garden also set out with loungers etc. The hotel staff were exceptional..very friendly & helpful..Adam, Gani & young Messi were in regular attendance & went out of their way to make us feel at home.. They were like a 2nd family & I was sorry to leave them behind.
The hotel is small & friendly & we met plenty of other guests around the pool bar of an evening & by the end of our stay we had a lot of new friends!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Pleasantly surprised. Booked this as last minute for one week self catering. Never been to Turkey before. Read some reviews so was slightly concerned but went with open mind. Travelled fair bit around Europe and North Africa and knew that star ratings for Hotels are generally too high. Aegean Princess is no exception to the rule. I rate this as a good 3 Star. I paid vey little money so expect what you pay for. Saying this i can say that this accommodation is extremely good value. The rooms are basic but very clean. The maid is in every day changing towels and sheets. She washed the floor twice while we were there and i did not think it was dirty. One day she even left flowres on our pillows. The beds were singles but could be pushed together if required. However, temperatures were so hot a bit of space was most welcome. Read some reports so knew airconditioning was an extra cost of £30 but this was only in the bedroom. Personally i thought this was adequate. The kitchen area was very basic. There was a fridge, a couple of hot plates, a kettle and the usual plates and cuttlery. Again adequate. If you need to spend time cooking 3 meals a day then this is wrong appartment. The Hotel supplies a reasonable menu and the prices are fairly cheap. However, if you venture to one of the many nearby establishments then you can get meals very cheap e.g. Full english breakfast £2.50 simple lunch £4 evening meal from £7. Obviously you can pay more dependant on your requirement. I had a meal on the seafront comprising soup, garlic bread, pitta bread with various dips, T-Bone steak with chips etc, 2 beers, 2 cocktails and coffee for £18. I think very fair. Anyway back to hotel. The bar is served by very polite and friendly staff and the drinks are cheap. There is the standard happy hour when most people try out the various cocktails. The swimming pool is a bit disappointing. It's a bit small and tad too deep. Therefore, not great for kids. There is a large grassed area excellent for lounging about on. One complaint is lack of parasols. Temperatures during day went up to 120 degrees and it was hot ! Sun block cream absolutely necessary ! Not a lot of shade with sun directly above. There is no hotel entertainment which in some ways is good. However, there are many places within a very short walk that cater for all tastes. The beach is approx 20 minutes walk away and in the sun it does feel further. Again the front is about 3 miles long stretching from the marina. Some may say sand is bit gravelly but there are some beautiful beaches just a few miles up road. Speak to the bar staff and they will advise where to go. More importantly they will tell you how much the taxi or bus fare should cost. Always get a price before buying, ordering or travelling. Turkish people do like their "add ons". All in all i found my weeks stay very pleasant. I was more than impressed with Turkish cleanliness in general and for the price i would recommend this hotel. If i was being picky i would suggest that this hotel would not suit young newly weds or groups of teenagers. However, as a base it could be ideal. Marmaris is a lovely place with plenty to do without being too populated.
Couple of points: remember £10 visa requirement at airport in GBP ! There is a 90 minute transfer from airport and you will need water while travelling. Don't buy anything at Dalaman airport they rip you off ! ( I mean 10 times over ) Exchange your sterling in Turkey. Rates are much better. Ephusus is well worth a visit but long day
I had a great time and would return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobbigred8
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Booked this trip as a last minute thing and paid £400 each, arrived at the Aegean at 8:30 am, we were taken to our room and I was gobsmacked - to say it was dated is an understatement, and the smell wasn't too pleasant, we looked in the bedroom and we had 2 single beds - not ideal when you go away for a romantic getaway with your boyfriend but we could push them together so not a massive deal (although you can't push them together in most apartments). I went onto the balcony where there were 2 broken chairs (no table) and it's then I noticed that the balcony door didn't lock - we called reception who to their credit came up straight away, they opened the door and said "there you go" - I told them I knew how to open the door but explained that it didn't lock, they went to put the key in the door and they couldn't lock it either, I got told “one moment” and they left, another 20 mins or so passed and another chap came up to the room and said “there you go” and opened the door - quite frustrated I explained that I could open the door but it wouldn't lock - he said “what is the problem” - I said that I would expect it to lock for safety reasons - he said we have no problems here, I said maybe not but if the apartment is broken into we're not covered by our insurance, he gave me such a nasty look - swore at me in Turkish, stormed out of the room, slammed the door, and you could hear him screaming down the corridor. About 10 minutes later another chap came up who was a lot more friendly, he looked at the lock and said the key had broken in the lock and he would get someone to come and mend it this morning (this didn't actually happen until our 3rd day).

We were there for 7 nights and the maid came once and then only emptied the bin - no clean towels or sheets (by the way the sheets are like sleeping on sandpaper).

You have to pay £10 if you want to watch TV for the week, and £30 for air-conditioning - there is only a unit in the living room so it's a nightmare at night as it's so hot in the bedroom (we didn't have a pull out sofa bed like some other reviews mention).

Self catering - JOKE! You have a fridge, and a 'plug in thing that' has 2 electric hobs on it which looks so old I would have been scared to plug it in - no knifes and forks, no plates, one pan (we weren't planning on cooking but obviously people book these apartments so they can actual cater for themselves), all I wanted was a bottle opener - I asked Reception if I could have one and they said I would have to buy my own - helpful!

Garden area is nice - lots of sun loungers - peaceful until the hotel across the road put Crazy Frog on constant repeat :o) Pool was quite nice if not a little small, only saw the pool cleaned once in the week we were there.

Ate at the Aegean once and it was ok and quite reasonably priced but it's cheaper to eat and drink out of the Aegean.

We found the beachfront a little tacky - lots of people trying to hassle you to eat in their restaurants which was quite exhausting after a few days, lots of nice restaurants near Harbour.

We went to the Aqua Park - really clean and good fun. Would recommend the Dalaman River Trip to anyone - cost us £25 each and you had a full day - boat trip along the Dalaman, you are taken to a Turkish Mud Bath and the Sulpha Pool, a nice lunch, a trip to Jesus Beach where you can walk on water and it's finished with a 1 1/2 hr stay on Turtle Beach - lovely! Booked the Jeep Safari and if you like water pistol fights and are prepared to get soaked through and have your clothes and belongings ruined then book it if not it's not worth it - you won't be told that you are going on a 3 hr water pistol fight - we were told we would see sights, beautiful water falls etc - you don't so if your expecting that book something else.

In general the Turkish people are very friendly - and they love families - the guys in some of the restaurants are amazing - they are so friendly and run around - so much energy - dance around etc.

We never felt welcomed in the apartments after the first day encounter, the kids who work there were friendly and the guy with the glasses on was lovely but I found all the others rude and still can't believe the guy who spoke to me like he did on our first day - zero in customer services!

Anyway I have ranted enough, I wouldn't recommend this apartment to anyone - sorry if you go year after year and you enjoy it - you don't know what else is out there what you are missing out on!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2009

just returned from our first holiday in Turkey, the Aegean Princess apartments were great, we were very well looked after by all the staff there, with a special thank you to Danny, Adam, Jimmy and "young Messi". The apartments were very clean with daily maid service leaving clean towels and bedding. The pool area dosent look very big on the website but what it dosent show is a very large garden area at the back of the pool full of sun beds and umberellas. The apartments are about a 15 to 20 min walk to the centre or beach. There are numerous restaurants and shops nearby. We would definately return to these apartments on future holidays.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple