“Paul and Linda May 2012”

TUI SENSIMAR Marmaris Imperial Hotel
Ranked #10 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was our first 'couples' hotel and we were no disappointed. The only down side was we only stayed for a week. The location was fantastic. We had pre-booked a hire car in the UK but suspect if we hadn't, would not have left the place. We paid for a sea view and requested a high room which we got and the view was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and made every effort to make your stay enjoyable. We would definately recommend this hotel to couples looking for an 'away from it all' holiday. Marmaris is only a bus ride away for those wanting some lively evening entertainment but for us it was fine. We don't tend to revist but this may be the exception as we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda O

Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a fantastic 2 week experience at the marmaris Imperial - what an absolute fantastic experience!! I have read numerous reviews on this page about this hotel and the extremely detailed pathetic reviews about food, beds???? Hotel staff - wow, I hate to think what you all expect from life because this hotel is amazing! Beautiful scenery, surrounded by fantastic views right out to sea.
Swimming pools peaceful and quiet where you can really spend some quality time together.
Food - fabulous, with show cooking and lovely staff you couldn't ask for more and after all we are in turkey!
Entertainment - considering it states in the brochures that couples hotels do not have entertainment I was surprised to see they have entertainment every night, I have read somewhere on here about the beautiful grace - well she was fantastic always making the effort to talk to everyone and really sings her heart out, stunning voice and so young, she deserves a standing ovation for what she's does. Bought in entertainment brilliant too - Adrian lively and gets you dancing, music generally brilliant - who wants a party nightclub in a secluded couples hotel!!!
Booked some amazing days out with Claire and Sarah who couldn't have been more helpful, had a couple of personal issues whilst there and both were a credit to Thomson for how they treated and helped me and my husband. Recommend the dalyan, safari and bobby Kent!!! Wonderful safe organised days out.
Management brilliant and would honestly come back to this hotel again and again.
Please ignore the petty reviews about the hotel, when every single person works their heart out in 46 degree heat for each and everyone of us, they need a lot of credit and deserve all the praise they get. Fantastic!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank Angel_halo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A wonderful relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings.
It was our first visit to Turkey and we will definitely return. We were surprised at how lush the forests were all around us.
We loved how the apartments were hidden by the natural fauna.
The complex was beautifully maintained but was very hilly. Golf buggies are available to assist though.
Good food and attentive staff within a lovely restaurant.
The entertainment was low key however that suited us.
Marmaris and Ichlemar were easily accesible by water taxi or by dolmus.
The `Sunset Speed Boat Trip' can be recommended, a glass of champagne and watching the sun setting.
The `a la carte' and `harmony' restaurants are definitely worth a visit. Just make sure you book early!
The only down side to this complex were the necessity to reserve sun beds prior to having breakfast with your beach towel!

However all in all a lovely, relaxing, romantic holiday and in our opinion this hotel is thoroughly recommended!

3  Thank julieandpaul2009
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My hubby and I spent a wonderful time in Marmaris Imperial Hotel - it was just awesome.
It was our first trip to Turkey aand we are sure it won't be the last one.
The hotel is located in a nice area and you can do a lot of trips around there.
It doesn't matter if you think about waiters, management, entertainment-team, housekeeping...the hotels boasts friendliness, attention, willingness to help and cleanliness.
The food was delicious - you couldn't even decide what to eat.
A really big thanks to the best ENTERTAINMENT-team we have ever seen (Tayfun, Ufuk, Talha) - they really do a great job and offer a nice programm which leads you through the time.

All in all, we would like to recommend this hotel and we will soon come back!!!

2  Thank Melek_7
Reviewed 9 July 2012

That vacations were awesome.! I'll never forget it. ;) The best was entertainment team, all evening animations, aqua gym with mine singing , and rest of team - Fatosh, Tayfun.. They were doing everything to enjoy me and my friend. Thanks for you.!!! :* Room was clean and spacious with beautiful nature and view, food- great and yummy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

THE HOTEL:
Is set within the hillside meandering down to the water’s edge and set within lush immaculately maintained and eco-friendly grounds. The rooms are in bungalows type blocks of four sitting within the hillside, the higher rooms do have fantastic views but many steps to climb and although there are buggies readily available from main reception to go up to your room they are in short supply to come down and when you ring for one they never answer. If you struggle I would suggest a lower room but be prepared for loss of view slightly. The buggies do stop between midnight and 1am, however if the staff are still out and about they are more than happy to help, although reception do make a point of telling you the service has ended.
POOLS/BEACH:
There are two pools; the main pool has music and activities, a quite pool (which I preferred) and a beach. There are also many decked areas on the water’s edge with metal steps into the sea. There are plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas everywhere and there are beach towels so need to take yours. Poolside/beachside service would have been a nice touch.
BEACH SECURITY ISSUE - While we were there, room and safe keys were stolen from beach bags consequently rooms and safes cleared. As a precaution we took both numbers off our keys and put them together and never let them out of our sight so be warned.
BEDROOMS:
Pleasantly furnished but a little dark and the bathroom tiles a little dated.The hotel beds are little too firm to hard but there are very good mattress toppers available which solve the problem. The pillows are hollow fibre but good quality, however the quality of the sheets and how the beds are made is a bit random and the blankets old fashioned, I would have expected better bedding in such a hotel. We had a single sheet on a king size bed and our room had not been cleaned prior to our stay. Housekeeping never answered the phone and when I eventually found someone they did not understand what I wanted and never did anything about it. I had to use a wet towel to mop the dirty floor over and face wipes to dust. Although my bed was changed regularly throughout my stay and fresh towels given daily if required, my room was not swept or dusted throughout my 10 day stay. The TV volume has been understandably adjusted but too low on most channels so very hard to hear. Although there is a hairdryer in the bathroom, I prefer to sit at the dressing table which did not have a mirror. You will need to take a small mirror if you want to straighten you hair or apply your make up at the dressing table. The plugs are at the back under but it may be useful to take a small extension lead with a few sockets attached for easy use.
The shower pressure was good and we had loads of hot water. There was shower wash container in the shower which my husband was happy to use. I could have saved luggage space if I had know but I used my Molton Brown still. The air conditioning in our room was excellent however voile curtains would have been good to stop the sun coming into the room without making it dark. Someone mentioned that the lounge area in the suite rooms had no air conditioning so maybe worth checking if your booking a suite.
ENTERTAINMENT:
THE TERRIBLE - After dinner, the resident Thomson entertainer Grace either played mediocre music on a loop fit for the Zimmer frame generation leaving an empty dance floor on most occasions or she sang a repertoire of Karaoke songs from Grease the Musical hairbrush style suited to 5 year Old’s party, both nothing in tune with her target market. This is an area in much need of improvement and Grace being moved to a family hotel where she would far be more suited to than a sophisticated Couples hotel.
THE GOOD - The breeze bar is stunning overlooking the water and with fab sunsets however some soft ambient chill out music for pre-dinner drinks would have made the experience more sophisticated and grown up.
THE EXCELLENT - The bought in entertainment although too infrequent, was excellent! the soloist the group, the amphitheatre entertainment, the fab beach party and best of all the DJ with the hat, cool dude who played stuff you could really dance to and make you feel you’re not ready for an old peoples home just yet.
ACTIVITIES & TRIPS
THE GOOD - Thomson boat trip to Turunc -We took the which was well worth it, the market was not worth seeing but the boat trip was very good and the family who own the boat are sweet and lovable and they made the trip worthwhile. Please don't take your own drink because Thomson pay them so little that selling drinks to you which are cheap anyway, is the only way they can earn a decent living and they deserve it because they are so lovely.
THE GOOD - Hotel Watersports –We hired the speedboat twice which was good value for money and well worth it. The guys who run the hotel water-sports are fantastic and so helpful.
THE OUTRIGHT DANGEROUS!!! - Thomson Quad Biking - Disgustingly dirty helmets, Bikes ready for the scrapheap, my husband’s brakes did not work at all and his axle broke and wheel fell off, he could have been seriously injured if going fast at that very moment. Other bikes broken down constantly and when we were not stopping for a breakdown we had to stop for a photo opportunity by the quad bike centre in the hope we may buy a CD at the end. It was a total disgrace and when we complained to Thomson rep Sarah she did nothing what so ever.
THE SPA:
Privately run business and mainly based around massage, a few other treatments like specialised facials would have been a bonus because I would have used it more. The staff both male and female for those guest who prefer female masseurs were excellent. I had a Turkish bath, aromatherapy massage and mud mask. Although it appears expensive, the service I got was well worth every penny, I was so relaxed with Mary’s massage I fell asleep at one point.
FOOD & DRINKS
DRINKS - All local brands and totally acceptable to taste but very low vol which suited me, I could drink all day and not have a hangover. The quite pool bar closed at 6pm sharp but it would have been better to stay open a little longer until 6.30pm and serve cocktails which was a disappointment. Premium brands are available at a cost for the more hardened drinkers, but lack of a hangover with what was on offer was a big advantage in my opinion.
FOOD- I'm told I'm a good cook and we eat out often in the UK, so I know what good food taste like and for an all inclusive the food was excellent, all fresh ingredients cooked in front of you and totally scrummy! Sadly except the last two days, which were a terrible disappointment. I hate lamb, I hate the smell of it and everything on offer was lamb based apart from chicken legs on bones in a white sauce which looked disgusting. Even the resident cat turned its nose up at the lamb based burger type things and it had not been fed that day by the hotel ( they say they do and don’t always feed him ) and bless him he was starving. The al la carte restaurant ( not al la carte at all ) was in a lovely rooftop setting but the food was very disappointing set menu, again mostly lamb and a total missed opportunity for a potential great night out for guests.
HOTEL STAFF:
The hotel staff were just lovely, so willing to help and the hotel Manager Sharon and English lady was very approachable. Her attention to detail was excellent, hopefully will take my criticism as constructive because although I have made some negative comments I would hope they were taken as constructive. We did have a lovely holiday and I would definitely return and hope that Thomson would change their present resident reps and entertainment organiser.
THOMPSON REPS & THE FEMALE ENTERTAINMENT ORGANISER:
It’s a shame that the reps Claire, Sarah were more interested in their sales targets or their time off and their sun tans than their guests and were only available at awkward times which were very limited. Grace treated her guests like they were far too old to know who Rihanna or David Guetta are and had no trouble making it clear to you either. The three Thomson staff had bad attitudes towards their clients and were in the main very rude. They let Thomson down hugely and are more suited to a three star family hotel than this Thomson Couples Hotel.
There was a new young guy there who was very a pleasant young man, maybe he should teach the above three how to treat their guests.
THOMSON LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE:
Departure -Thomson check in was very strict, your handbag is classed as hand luggage so be warned. and there is no allowance for being overweight at all. If your planning on buying anything while on holiday make sure you calculate this into your luggage allowance on the return journey. The hotel have scales in the luggage room to enable you to weigh your cases before you leave for the airport. I have bought a pair of hand scales from Asda for future. to save scrambling round the luggage room floor moving stuff around each case which was not pleasant in the heat.
Finally: You will love the setting of this hotel, the staff, the food and the beds when sorted are comfy. Marmaris is very clean and shopping is fun too. Best time to go is early morning because it gets very hot at night. Have a great holiday!

Room Tip: The rooms go up in 100's 500's being the top of the hillside. There is a buggy service but i...
8  Thank Lollipopdreams
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I'm fussy and always have high expectations and I wasn't dissapointed. This is the most beautiful setting of any holiday we have been on. It's not a hotel it's a complex of lovely little chalets nestling on a private island. The photos in the brouchure do it no justice at all. We went on the evening speed boat trip and it was fabulou; the highlight for both of us..... Ok the food isn't quite as good as a Riu, but it's still excellent, the waiters don't wear waistcoats to serve you, as someone has commented before !! but it's not that kind of complex and it would be out of place here; think relax.

You don't even have to leave if you don't want to there are loads of activities to do on site..We went on some trips, which were brilliant but if we hadn't we wouldn't have spent any money.

We only go home last night and yes I would go again definatley.

Do be careful if you don't like walking as some of the rooms are difficult to get to, but there's always the golf cart to take you !. We love walking so got a high room with veiws to die for.

Room Tip: If you're using a hotel hairdryer, and the button you have to hold down annoys you- take a small...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple