“A lovely relaxing holiday but........”

TUI SENSIMAR Marmaris Imperial Hotel
Ranked #8 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A lovely relaxing holiday but........”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have just returned from a 10 night stay. Overall the accommodation was good and had the potential to be amazing. We loved the adults only element and the peaceful surroundings, also it was a treat to not have to secure a sunbed early in the morning as there were more than enough and everyone was relaxed. Although the hotel is set on a hill there are golf buggies to transport guests to their rooms. These need to be more frequent to avoid waiting around and staff often made us feel a burden for asking for a lift.

The entertainment team became quite tedious with their ill thought out announcements throughout the day and at times it felt like they were talking to children not adults. Guests do not need to be reminded every five minutes that we are staying at ' The Marmaris Imperial!' The resident duo 'The Secret' were dull and appeared to simply be going through the motions rather than performing and entertaining. In fact, they would rarely look at the audience preferring to chat to each other during their performance on the stage. The visiting acts such as the 'golden tones' and the dancers in the amphitheatre were excellent.

Unfortunately the hotel has a severe wasp problem which makes it impossible to eat outside and several guests were stung whilst we were there. The dining room experience left a lot to be desired with poor service and poor quality food. The waiters were unfriendly and not attentive. At dinner we were often chasing a waiter to get a second drink. The food was very repetitive and tasteless, the meat was dry and often contained bones. The desserts were particularly disappointing. The alcohol is definitely watered down as when I ordered a neat vodka the bar man was reluctant to serve it and when I tasted it it was very weak. It would be nice to provide bar snacks e.g crisps or nuts in the evening, as we had to take our own.

It was nice to be able to hire a kayak free of charge and play table tennis. There are also water sports available which are good but a little over priced. We met some lovely, friendly people that we could laugh about the entertainment with!
PRETZELS!!

4 Thank Carolinekeith2014
tthotels, General Manager at TUI SENSIMAR Marmaris Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
DearCarolinekeith2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. As you say the hotel is set in an amazing location and is peaceful and relaxing. When it comes to entertainment tastes vary. The main pool is where the activities go on so of course there will be some announcements there. We also have a relax pool with no music or announcements for guests who prefer peace and quiet and also the hammock area near the Harmony Bar where the only noise that will disturb you is the washing of the waves on the shore. Again tastes vary when it comes to food. There are different choices every day over a two-week period. There were a lot of wasps throughout the resort of Marmaris this year , unfortuantely. One natural remedy we used to deter them was the burning of Turkish Coffee grounds. There is always the option of eating inside in air-conditioned comfort. Good to hear that you enjoyed your holiday overall and appreciated the free kayaks and table-tennis.
Sharon Ay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,168)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked our holiday here as we fancied a quiet getaway to a lovely place. Well we got so much more than we expected. We particularly enjoyed the archery which was fun and the days out were brilliant too. We visited the Turkish baths and also took a boat ride to the busy town. The location was quite far from the airport and the rooms are up very steep slopes but it didn't matter.
The staff we excellent and very friendly too and the entertainment was good.
The hammocks were the highlight for me and the beautiful scenery.

We will definitely be going back again :-)

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Lydia J
tthotels, General Manager at TUI SENSIMAR Marmaris Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Lydia J
Thank you for posting such a fabulous review on Trip Advisor and glad to hear what a wonderful holiday you both had. The hammocks are set admidst beautiful shaded gardens on the waters edge and so peaceful. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say.....I am awful when it comes to booking a holiday and constantly checking trip advisor prior to making booking and after.This without doubt is by far the best all inclusive holiday I have been on.Myself and partner couldn't fault anything from the start to the finish of are holiday not even the 134 steps from are room to the breeze bar.Room was lovely,food lovely with plenty of choice steak house and Gunes al a carte is a must.We spent most of are days relaxing around the main pool where we could always find a sunbed and pool/area was always spotless.This hotel I have to say has some of the most polite and friendly staff I have ever come across who extremely work hard.We only had the pleasure of stopping here for a week and can only wish it had been longer myself and my partner will defiantly be returning here in the future

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gemma C
tthotels, General Manager at TUI SENSIMAR Marmaris Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Gemma C
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. How proud we are to hear it was the best All-Inclusive holiday you've ever been on. You obviously had a fantastic holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you for your recommendation.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our first visit to Turkey and we was unsure of what to expect but we loved it. The hotel was fantastic, very clean and friendly staff. The food was fantastic with an excellent variety. We did eat in the steakhouse restaurant (which you do have to pay for). The service and food were amazing, well worth the price. We also ate in the Gunes restaurant and this was a major disappointment, the food was amazing but the service was shocking, we were waiting 30 minutes between courses! The wasps were a problem at mealtimes in these restaurants but it was dealt with by burning Turkish coffee... Who knew?
I can't comment on the pool area because we spent out week by the beach which had a lovely cooling breeze, we never had a problem finding a sun bed.
We did 2 excursions - 4x4 safari which was a fantastic experience and the Dalyan checkout, the trip was an amazing experience with mudbaths and seeing turtles but the hotel that we had till we needed to go to the airport was awful, if we did that trip again we wouldn't bother with the checkout and just go for the day.

We used the water taxi which was a good service and enjoyed the haggling in Marmaris!

The Thomson reps were really good and helpful, including helping my other half set up his marriage proposal, and of course I said yes!

Our room was 215 so the steps weren't a major problem and we had a sea view without paying for it.

Only negative to this hotel, which has been mentioned before, is the weakness of the alcoholic drinks. When you've had 8+ vodkas and cokes and still feel as sober as a judge, there's a problem!

Overall an amazing holiday and hotel that I am sure we will return to!
Thank you Marmaris Imperial!

Room Tip: Ask for a low level room if you struggle with steps, however the buggy is there if you need it!
2 Thank MissSammyLou
Dear MissSammyLou
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Great to hear that you loved the hotel and its location. There are lots of wasps around at this time of year throughout the resort - burning coffee grounds is a natural way to deter them. As has been posted before all our alcohol is locally produced in Turkey under licence; these brands are used as part of out All-Inclusive package in all our hotels throughout the region. The measures are standard - the amount of ice and mixer is a personal choice. Imported brands are available at an extra cost. The food is on a two-week rotation so there are always plenty of new dishes to try every day. Your comment about the excursion has been passed on to Thomson - thank you. You'll always remember Marmaris Imperial for your marriage proposal; we would love to be able to welcome you back on your Honeymoon!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have just come back from this hotel. Mostly a great experience. It is a large enough resort so there is always a spot to sunbathe in. We spent a few days at the relaxation pool but I will echo another reviewer - it gets incredibly hot! We got into a routine of spending the morning on the private beach (big plus, next to a yacht marina, great for swimming) to moving before lunch to a quiet, shaded sun bed looking out on the Harmony bar and Water sports place. Other pluses were the archery - run by a really friendly guy and the spa. We spent only £280 for a 4 day couples package which included a massage each day, a Turkish bath and a few facials. Again spa staff are lovely and if you have never had a Turkish bath I can heartily recommend it! For cat lovers the hotel has adopted some cats who are so cute, we'll behaved and have their own cat cafe - a lovely cat shelter in a shady spot. Other pluses are the entertainment. Being competitive I enjoyed the quizzes. We also enjoyed the Turkish night with folk dancing (not belly dancing per se or the whirling dervish).
Ok the bad. Not much but alcohol - what alcohol?! Buy your own spirits in duty free! The Efes beer is good. The cicadas are very noisy and screech from morning to night. I could drown them out but they really 'bugged' my husband! Although food is good I can't eat a lot of wheat and most dishes has wheat. Desserts for me ended up being melon and weird angel delight concoctions! If you are fine with wheat then you will find the food good. However there is no ice cream or snack bar open all the time. You can get burgers until 4pm at the harmony bar but we ended up going to the little shop on site for crisps or ice cream most days.

We are planning to come back here as the pluses outweigh the cons.

Tip: the dolmus bus does a pick up to Marmaris centre every 20 mins and only cost 3.25 tlira per trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106 which was close to the relaxation pool, spa and archery. It is quite low down.
Dear Vikki D
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We agree the setting is glorious, surrounded by nature, with of course insects; some people love the cicadas, others don't, but they really are the summer sound of the Mediterranean. We have signs on all our food alerting guests who may have allergies or intolerances. We are more than happy to help you find something to your liking and can ask the Chef to make something to suit. When it comes to cats, not everyone loves them, but everyone one loves our Cat Cafe where they are fed three times a day and can relax in the shade. As well as the Harmony Bar, make-your-own sandwiches are available at the Beach Bar, there is also the Pancake Lady at the Beach Bar and ready-made sandwiches are available in the Breeze Bar from 4pm 'till midnight and cakes are served there at Tea-Time, so in fact something is always available to eat up to midnight.. A word about the alcohol - all our alcohol in the All-Inclusive package is locally produced in Turkey and is served in all our hotels in the region. The measures are standard and the quality is strictly monitored. Imported brands are also available but at an extra cost.. As you rightly say the Spa treatments are wonderful and a marvellous way to treat yourself and make your holiday even more relaxing.
birmingham uk
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here last year and really enjoyed our stay but I have noticed a few things that have changed and taken the edge off it for me.
Last year, We had an amazing sea view and so this year , I decided it was well worth it to pay the extra 50pound more. However, I was so disappointed to see our sorry excuse for a view. We could see about 30cm of sea and the rest of our view was of trees. Now, I know they advertise it as a 'limited sea veiw'-but this was a joke!! We made friends with a few other couples who had better sea views than we did, yet didn't pay any extra! Go figure!
Another rant -omg, the wasps!!!! They were everywhere, especially at meal times. It was impossible to eat outside. We watched so many couples get up and move inside just to get away from them. They landed on food and the ingredients of the freshly prepared food outside. My partner actually pointed 3wasps sitting on the cheese one day. Disgusting!! So many people complained-I really think they need to invest in this. I understand that the hotel is situated in a forest, but it was not like this last year!
Food-I found it a little hit and miss. Some food was lovely, some of the meat a bit grissly-but plenty of choice. The desserts were the greatest let down for me as I have a sweet tooth. They all tasted the same. The ice cream -only available at dinners time was delicious!

The maids. Once or twice we returned to our room to find that the floors hadn't be swept and surfaces hadn't been cleaned. I think it depended on the maid at the time but overall we weren't that impressed with the cleaning of the rooms. I also had Cigarette burns on my sheets.

Buggy service. This, when it is up and running is a fab little service but during our stay both the buggies were broken for a few days. Even when they are up and running, you need to be prepared for up to a 15min wait outside reception. Now I am a frequent gym goer, but even I struggled climbing 86 uneven and steep steps in 40 plus heat! Mustafa Who drove one of the buggies, was a very friendly and smiley bloke. There was one guy-he never wore a name badge who was very rude and looked permanently angry. I heard one guy say to his partner-oh we don't like this one!!

The drinks-as mentioned so many times before, are so very weak! The daily cocktail was made in advance and stored all day-not great. Once my partner asked , after taking a sip of his vodka and coke, if the barman could put some more vodka in as he couldn't taste it. The barman did not like this one bit and started pointing to the percentage on the bottle! Rude!

Entertainment is very weak and needs a bit more variety. One group -the golden tones were amazing but el diva, were absolutely awful. We watched people literally get up and go back to their rooms they were that bad!! The resident duo were ok.

I was dissappointed with our stay this year and doubt very much if I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 100s-300s are great
1 Thank erialcrobo
Dear erialcrobo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the view from your room as much as last year. Our rooms either have a garden view or a partial sea-view and as you say there are lots of trees in the grounds. Because the rooms are in individual blocks and not uniformly facing the same way the view of the sea does vary. There were wasps throughout the resort of Marmaris recently and it was a particular problem this year. We did take extra measures to deter them - burning coffee grounds is one of the natural ways to do this. We're sorry to hear that you felt the Barman was rude to you - did you speak to anyone about this during your holiday? We are always happy to listen to guests' comments and if we have done wrong to try and rectify it at the time. The alcohol is locally produced in Turkey and is used throughout all of our hotels. The measures are standard. Mixers and ice are added according to individual tastes. Your comment about the Daily Cocktail has been noted - thank you. Once again we're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your second visit to Marmaris Imperial quite as much as your first.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from this hotel after 11 nights, the location is beautiful with lots of locations to sun bathe wether pools beach or jetty, loved that part, we paid a lot of money and like every one work hard for your holiday but thomson should really look into this hotel re value for money. The drinks served are an absolute disgrace the bar staff became rude if you challenge them on the drinks, some of them where just water, the mixers had no fizz and the wine served in tiny glasses would have been served better on chips. I understand all inclusive you get local spirits and wine but these where an insult. For the non alcohol drinkers I have never been anywhere all inclusive that you cannot get a glass of pure juice, here they serve a watery squash. The food was good with a good selection, the service on an evening depended where you sat after first service the tables where not cleaned or reset for next guests and you had to ask waiter to clean table. The bar waiters where good and the water sports people where very pleasant . I found the receptionists quite unpleasant at times. The rooms where good. We had a nice time and found ways to adapt but do not feel it is good value for money in the peak season

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Denise M
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. The drinks that are part of the All-Inclusive package are locally produced in Turkey to the standard set by the state-run drinks producer. These are used throughout all our hotels in Turkey. Imported brands are available at an extra cost. Fruit juice is also locally produced and it's fair to say that Turkey doesn't produce many 100% pure juices, most are 'fruit-juice drinks'. I'm sorry to hear you found some of the staff rude, did you talk to anyone about this or see the Public Relations staff during your visit? The food is on a two-week rotation so there are plenty of new choices every day. You say you had a good time which is good to hear and overall you seem to have enjoyed your visit.