“Excuse me”

Golden Rock Beach Hotel
Ranked #24 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Just came back from golden rock,would first like to thank the entertainment team charlie,gogo,rookie,alfie and the belly dancer made me and my two girls feel very welcome and involved,beautiful hotel ,great location,i would recommend this hotel to anyone,we will be going again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 509 from that side of hotel we had two sea views
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anthony R

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Myself and my boyfriend spend 8 nights at this hotel from 31st August to 8th September. We had a really great holiday and were sad to come home!

We arrived at the hotel at 3am, and check in was quick and efficient. Our travel agent had put on our booking that we would like a high floor so we got better views (had booked a side sea view). The man on reception checking us in asked if this was what we wanted, and allocated us a room on the top floor with a good view. Our luggage was taken up for us and we were shown a few things in our room. The rooms are a pretty standard size, nicely decorated, and with a small double bed and a single bed and a good size wardrobe. The bathroom itself is small, but has a large shower which was warm and powerful.The beds are firm but we slept very well every night. They do not have top sheets or duvets, only blankets which was a little bit odd at first! The room has aircon so it's a comfortable temperature to sleep in.

The pool area is good, medium sized swimming pool with 2 water slides which are used by adults and children!! The pool is not heated and when you first get it in it is cold!! Once you're in though it's lovely to swim in and we spent a lot of time in there- nice and refreshing in the heat! There are some sunbeds kept laid out overnight, the rest are put in a stack when tidied away. We used to go down to the pool after breakfast, at around 10am each day. We never had a problem with getting a sunbed, but we always had to get them ourself off the stack which are heavy!! and had to put them somewhere ourselves. For a 5 star hotel I think the sunbeds should all be put out in the morning so people don't have to be carrying sunbeds from one side of the pool area to the other dodging parasols and other sunbeds!

The pool bar serves lots of different drinks, there is no cocktail menu but they'll pretty much do whatever you ask them to do if they've got the stuff to make it! They are quick so you don't have to queue hardly at all. The snack bar here serves snacks 12-4pm, we used to have the snacks instead of lunch in the restaurant. They have burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, chips, pizza, salad, rolls and chicken doner meat, all nice! At 5pm they serve cakes and biscuits, these are lovely!! We used to have them every day!

I am generally not a fan of the beach but we went one day to see what it was like. There are loads of sunbeds and parasols on the beach so shouldn't be a problem getting on there. The beach is shingle rather than sand so does hurt your feet a little! The sea is warmer than the pool, it's very salty so its lovely to float around in and I really enjoyed swimming in there, something which I normally don't do! We used to go in every day for about an hour in the afternoon! Walking in the first few meters in the sea is very rocky so some people had special shoe things which they were wearing but we just braved it! After a few meters it gets dramatically deeper and the rocks turn to spongey sand. You are unable to stand at probably only about 5-8ish meters in.

The restaurant is good, nice furnishings in the purple theme which runs through the hotel. The food is very good, large selection, always had things like chicken skewers, fish, beef casserole, rice, chicken in a sauce, flat bread, stir fried chicken with onions etc at dinner. 2 nights they had ice cream in cones which were lovely! There is a large selection of deserts like mousses and profiteroles too. We used to eat lunch at the pool bar as lunch was very similar to dinner. Breakfast was beans, scrambled egg (very runny!!), tomatoes, boiled eggs, frankfurter type sausages, then you can get eggs cooked how you like them (fried or omelettes with lots of fillings). They also had crepes, pancakes, a large selection of pastries, salad etc.

The location is brilliant. At night we would go for long walks. Along the promenade is a row of hotels and bars and after about half an hour you get to Marmaris where there are lots of shops. Our last holiday was in Egypt and we were hassled everywhere we went by shopkeepers/restaurant staff. It's not like that at all here. You are free to walk past, occasionally they will point out 2 for 1 cocktails if you go in to their bar etc but they don't chase you down the street like in Egypt! We felt safe at all times. If you go out of reception onto the street outside you are greeted by shops on both sides of the road- most sell pretty much the same thing, but its nice to walk down the road and go in all the shops. We were slightly worried about the location being so far from Marmaris but it is actually a really great location with plenty right on your doorstep. If you want you can get a bus but we never needed to! Its a pleasant walk.

The entertainment at the hotel was a bit poor but we went for a walk most nights.

The photographer at the hotel is great, on our last night before we went home we were persuaded to have some photos done (you don't have to buy any!) We had loads done by the pool, he must have taken about 60 altogether. Then we sat at the computer with him and picked the ones we liked, and he did a deal for us. We would definitely recommend it, they are really lovely photos and I wouldn't normally have something like that done!

Overall, we had a fab holiday and have recommended the hotel to my parents who are looking to go on holiday soon..It's a brilliant hotel, with yummy food, great staff, a lovely pool and excellent location on the beach! We would definitely go again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amyf776
Reviewed 8 September 2013

we have just come back from our holiday at the golden rock we have been to the grand passa too last year there bedrooms were larger,but the golden rock has fantastic views right on the beach the entertainment go go and rockie were brill fab time will go again but not in the heat

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ann m
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This review is five months overdue but better late than never.
My husband and I spent a week at this hotel in April.
Words fail me about how fantastic our whole experience was.
We arrived in the early hours of the morning to be greeted by a welcoming receptionist. As they always say first impressions count. The beauty of the hotel all lit up and a welcome face made us automatically at ease.
The back of the hotel leads you to Marmaris which is a delightful 30mins stroll along the front with fantastic hotels,bars and restaurants.
To your right of the hotel another 30mins stroll leads you to Iclemer. The walk leads you through a beautiful pathway of woodland and lavish five star hotels,amazing architecture a must to see.
Ignore all the negative comments,everything is more than perfect at this hotel. The entire area is up and coming.
We visited the spa, always a must for me as I am in the business. We booked a deluxe package. Turkish bath,scrub,olive oil massage then an hour oil massage. Amazing we visited a couple of times again. The staff in here are lovely you don't feel pressurised to buy. Hello to Canan, Nurten & Adnan. We had such an amazing time our little one who is due in January was made. We hope to visit next year to show off our new arrival.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I don't usually write reviews however I am very very fussy and loved this hotel. Yes I did get slightly bored of the food after a week however there was always something nice to eat and the food varied every night. I loved the snack bar at lunch time the pizza was lovely. I did not like the breakfasts as I like bacon and sausage, however they do omelettes with a different choice of fillings which were very nice, I would not let the breakfast put me off the hotel.

The rooms are very modern and very clean. Towels were changed every day.

The location is perfect it is on a strip of bars, restaurants and shops. We ate at restaurants 2 of the nights the food was lovely and there was entertainment.

A la carte restaurant was very nice, the gentleman that served us was very efficient.

Overall I would return to this hotel and would recommend to friends and family :)

Room Tip: We had a road view and still slept very well, noise was not a problem
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katy342
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We booked this place just 3 weeks before travel and without doing much research. I then started reading the reviews on here and worried a bit!
On the whole I don't understand most of the negative reviews on here...however, things were far from perfect....

Pros:
Great food, really great food. Loved every single meal time. My wife is a great cook at home who cooks a variety of foods including Indian, Chinese, Italian etc so I when I say the food is good at this hotel I really mean it. We stayed for 7 days and did not come anywhere near to getting bored of it - so much choice and variety on a daily basis. We only ate out once - purely because we were away from the hotel. The other great thing was from 7:30am till around 9:30pm there is almost always some food available - if not in the main restaurant, then in the pool side bar area.
Pools - Yes the main pool gets a bit crowded and is same depth all round, but the two slides were such a big hit with my 8yr old son - he loved it and never seemed to mind the crowds.
Good Location - away from Central Marmaris, but only a 2TL Dolmus ride away from the centre. Plenty of shops etc nearby. Also, being on the beach front it was great to go for a walk along the promenade.
Room size is good - a double bed and a single bed. Bed was a bit on the firm side - but did not seem to affect our sleep. Flat screen TV - a bit on the small side but perfectly acceptable.
Shower was nice and powerful, good temperature on most days - just one day it was a bit on the cool side.
Balcony view was great - lovely view out to sea and the mountains on the other side. Unfortunately we could not enjoy it as much as we would have liked - due to issues with the air con (see below).
Free Wifi - good Wifi signal in the lobby, reasonable in the restaurant. But the bonus was that we also got a signal in our bedrooms (3rd floor). The kids room got a much stronger signal, but even in my room I could check my emails etc.

Cons:
Air con in our room was naff. We had two rooms booked - one for us and one for the kids. The kids room air con was fine, powered on promptly and room cooled quickly once switched on - even if the curtains were partially open and sunlight streaming in. However, in comparison the air con in our room was clearly faulty - but try telling that to the hotel staff - they insisted it was working fine. Their definition of working fine is that is that powers up!
Once you open the balcony door the air con stops - this is normal for all rooms. However, once you close the balcony door, it would take around 4-5 minutes after closing the door before the aircon would start blowing air. This meant we had to limit opening and closing the balcony door - thereby not making the best use of it and missing out on the amazing view which we had paid extra for.
Whenever we came back to the room and switched the aircon on it would switch on straight away and open the vents etc but it would take 4-5 minutes before it started blowing air. Not great if you have just come in from the heat and want to cool down!
The air that it blew was barely cold. If the curtain was partially open and the sun was shining in, the air con would struggle to keep the room at a tolerable temperature (unlike the kids room). This meant we had to keep the curtains closed for most of the day - only opening then once the sun was not shining into the room. Once the air con was switched off the room would quickly become uncomfortable - again in contrast to the kids room which would be fine for at least 30mins afterwards.
On two occasions the aircon unit stopped responding to the remote and started flashing a red light. Even when we reported this to reception, there was no immediate action - on both occasions we had to abandon the room after waiting 30-40 minutes as it became quite uncomfortable. When we came back after 5-6 hours it was 'operating' again - I wont use the work functioning as I don't think it ever fulfilled its function!
After the 2nd instance of failure my wife got fed up and demanded a new room, initially they refused but after much debate agreed to change the room after 36hrs!! And the room they did offer was on the other side of the hotel - away from the kids room.
Fortunately by this time, the daytime temperature had dropped from 40 to around 35 so it made things in the room a bit more tolerable. Since we didn't want our room to be so far away from the kids and did not want a different room with possibly some other issues we stayed put.
The other annoying thing about the air con issue was that whenever we spoke to reception about it, they would always ask if the balcony door was shut - as if we were some kind of idiots that did not realise the door had to be shut for it to function - doh!

The fridge in our room did not work very well either - temperature was barely below room temperature - we had to use our kids room fridge to keep the drinks in as theirs was working fine. We think the problem seemed to be that our fridge was linked to the entry card - so that when we removed the card the fridge switched off - not entirely sure but that is the conclusion we came to. We complained about the fridge twice and were assured it would be checked - again I suspect that because it powered on they considered it as working fine!

Customer service - all the staff were polite, friendly and helpful - to a point. If we did not have problems with the air con and fridge I would have said they were fine. But the ability to resolve problems is the true measure of customer service and for us they failed in this matter. On at least two occasions I rang the desk and the person could not understand basic English - was told to call back when his English speaking colleague arrived.

Restaurant service - whilst the food was great, it was difficult to get a table if you arrived 5 mins after the opening time for the evening meal. Breakfast and lunch were usually ok. However, at any mealtime, if you were not part of the first sitting, you often had to clear and or set the table yourself. Also, I noticed some of the customers were served drinks by the waiters - we had to fetch our own. Also, many times the plates from our starter were still cluttering our table 45mins later when we were finishing our dessert. Don't get me wrong - the waiters were friendly but they were clearly not enough of them for the number of guests.

Noise - the first night we arrived (a Wednesday) the music was incredibly loud and went on till midnight. With a sea view room, we got the full impact of it. Even my expanding foam earplugs (normally used on factory floors) could not drown out the beat. However, the remaining nights the volume was lower and the music usually stopped around 11:30pm. If you don't have kids or you plan to stay up late anyway then this won't be a problem for you!

Russian guests - I guess they don't teach manners in Russia. No concept of queuing or personal space. Fellow Brits politely queued up for food or drinks only for some Russian guest to just jump in and help themselves. One occasion, a child from a nearby table came and sat on our table whilst why wife was fetching her main course and started fiddling with her cutlery and drinking from her glass. I motioned to the parents who acknowledged and smiled. They did not move their child or stop him drinking from her glass until my wife came back. On another occasion one Russian guest just took my wife's chair even though her plate and drink was still on the table, they could not be bothered walking an extra 2 yards to the next table which was vacant! When I complained they just returned the chair with no attempt at an apology.

Other points:
I was too lazy to participate but we were never hassled by the Entertainment team who seemed to be very friendly and were there every day. The other guests did genuinely seem to be enjoying their offerings.

Conclusion:
If we did not have problems with the aircon then I would have probably scored this as a 4 star review. But the fact that we had to suffer the faulty aircon and the hotel's inability to resolve the issue means I have to score it as a 3. One star lost for the inconvenience of the naff air con and one star for their naff customer service.
Thomas Cook rate this as a 4 star resort and the Hotel itself claims it is a 5 star resort.
I have had the good fortune of staying in 4 or 5 star hotels in Europe, the Middle East and the USA during business travel. I can honestly say this resort is no way a 5 star resort. Even if we had no problems, the highest I would rate this is a 3-4 star. It tries to look like a 4-5 star resort but many things are done on the cheap - not enough waiters in the restaurants, not enough maintenance staff, not enough room cleaners. Fixture and fittings look good but poor finishes / rough edges etc.; e.g. the fridge slides around when you try to open it, the shower door had rough aluminium edges and damaged my swimming trunks when I hung them on top to dry. The bedside drawers in the room are slow closing, but made a groaning / moaning sound when closing, not much sound proofing so you can hear the neighbours using the shower or toilet etc etc.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great - providing your air con works!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank harryw66
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed here in July and, on the whole, were delighted with the hotel.

I would agree it is not quite 5 star but, in my experience, this is true of most foreign 5 star hotels.

I thought the reception area was very impressive and our room was fine. Nicely decorated and ours was certainly cleaned daily with loads of fresh towels. Just be aware that water in the fridge is only complimentary on the first day.

We had a Turkish Bath in the hotel spa on the first day and I would highly recommend it. We did it as a couple and it was a great way to unwind at the start of our holiday.

Food: I can't understand the complaints about the food? I thought there was a great variety every night. I especially loved the salads. Breakfast certainly didn't cater for the British people ie, no fried bacon, sausage, beans etc. but is a hotel full of various nationalities so I wouldn't really expect this.

The downside for me was the animation team.

We are a couple in our forties. We are not stuffy in any way but to have techno music blaring by the pool the whole day just became a bit tiresome. It went off for about an hour in the afternoon. Bliss! But just as we were relaxing it would start again at full volume with the animation guys shouting through the microphone "Come on, Wake up lazy people. WAKE UP!"

This made me really annoyed as we work hard and think we are perfectly entitled to relax on holiday. I do not want a bunch of hyperactive 20 year olds telling me to Wake up!

Apart from that, the hotel was good. No complaints and would consider going back

Room Tip: We had a side sea view room on the 6th floor. Room was quiet with lovely views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple