“hilarious turkish bath!” 5 of 5 bubbles

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“hilarious turkish bath!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

we booked through first choice/Thompson for me and my partner to have a turkish bath. it was lovely, straight froward bus service to get us there, the "sales woman" could have had a smile and a little more welcoming however the rest of the service was great. the public bat atmosphere was hilarious we had a great time and were squeaky clean at the end!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Bettina24

• Turkish first
Loweswater, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“DO NOT BOOK TO GO HERE - THOMAS COOK USE IT BE WARNED!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

DO NOT BOOK HERE!!!! ITS AWFUL!!! We booked through Thomas Cook to have a Turkish bath. Id had one before in Dalaman and it was amazing so I was boasting at how great Turkish Baths are......NOT HERE!!!

It was horrendous!!! We were treated like cattle, given the hard sell by AUNTY JANE for over an HOUR!!!! an hour of her saying " you've got to have a facial and the salts and the fish" it was absolutely awful!!! We declined the treatments because it was far to much in your face!! her voice was draining......seats uncomfortable and sales pitch seemed to have lasted for days....

you are grouped into nationalities then we were shoved into a sauna, then shoved into one of the rooms where someone came round with a camera..wait for it..yes so you could BUY them later!! another selling gimmick!! then you were in a room with 6 other people, the Turkish men giving you the Turkish bath were laughing amongst themselves and were very rough at handling you. Not pleasant at all and quite frankly it was so uncomfortable I wanted to leave. Then you were sent to have a massage but first more pictures of you in your towel (in a group we shuffled upstairs) then during your massage I had ANOTHER sales rep come and try and sell me a medical massage because my shoulders were tense.... are they surprised!!!!! and my friend was given a sales pitch about a chocolate body massage it was all SELL SELL SELL!!

THEN to top off our experience as we were walking across the reception area there were a Turkish couple having an argument and he was really shouting, we went into toilets as we did not feel safe, then it all went quiet. As we came out of the toilets we saw the women on the floor unconscious!!! he had knocked her out!!! Ambulance came etc it was truly truly awful!!

DO NOT GO HERE............ find a good hotel and go privately!! REPEAT !! DO NOT GO HERE!!!

Visited September 2013
6 Thank YorkieClaire
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“We didnt have a treatment because they seem to pick and chose price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

My boyfriend and I read a few reviews on trip advisor, before we went in July, We saw prices for 40TL without all the extras just the bath and a 45 Minute massage, so armed with our money, and going at 5 after all the tour buses left (we thought it would be more quite).

A lady came over, with loads of pictures and different smelling salts and items to help her sale. A lot of the 'healing properties' and...stuff she was saying, wasn't correct and quite frankly worrying. We actually meet a osteopath who had the hammam here and we asked her what she thought, she said they were clicking her back, which they shouldn't be doing and said to us, she didn't think any of them where trained....This was after our we spoke to the lady, anyway she said it was 90TL....yes 90TL we said can we not have the facial, she thought about it...started mmm and ahhhing....we know that other tripadvisor people have done this, she finally said yes, but it was going to be 60TL....and adding that ALL the staff were trained and we weren't going to get any better....we spoke more and realised we weren't getting now where, so we walked out. It was peak season, so they didn't care.

A funny thing, when we asked the osteopath we meet how much she paid, she said it was FREE for the Hammam and she paid a bit for the massage. The more and more people we spoke to said it was free through their holiday rep, even a Turkish man who used to do deals said, the Hammam is nothing we do it for free, so that the hammam workers can push add-ons. We even got a free offer from a stall near the beach and a few lira for a boat tour. People also commented that they were herded around, and didn't feel that they had privacy, also people were taking pictures of them and trying to sell them at the end, people also said that they were offered add-ons while having a massage......I'm glad we didn't bother. We went elsewhere and had a much better time. If they stuck to a price, things would be easier.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Alisha_RW
Caterham, United Kingdom
“7th Street Restaurant and Bar, Armutalan, Marmaris, Turkey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had some really great food/meals at this restaurant. Th estaff were absolutely brilliant and gave you their help in choosing anything. Even if you didn't want your meal too spicy or wanted an ingredient left out they were only too willing to make the food to your taste. Well done to all the waiting staff, bar staff and especially the chefs and their helpers for making our meals just as we liked them. The breakfast was the best in Arrmutalan and great value for your money, so there is something on the menu even the kids or older people would eat.

Visited August 2013
Sevenoaks, Kent
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not the authentic experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I have had numerous Hammams over the past few years and so feel reasonable well qualified to comment. Without doubt Armutalan is very clean and well run. If you are looking for an authentic relaxing hammam then forget it - this is more akin to a 'spa day' where they will try and sell you as many add ons as they can.

We felt like we were part of a factory production line being herded from one area to the next along with our fellow guests. What I particularly disliked was being sent back into the changing room after being told that it was not our turn yet. Having complied with their request I did not feel they were justified in closing the door behind us - I do wonder whether they actually locked us in!!!

I also object to having a photographer come into the bath room and take staged photographs of all of us - hardly relaxing.

On arrival at the hammam we sat through a very slick talk offering a whole range of extra's. This was no real issue for us as we had already decided to treat ourselves to an additional massage, particularly as my wife was having some neck/back problems. We were assured that if we booked the anti stress this would include the medical massage and the aromatherapy options - at a slightly reduced price. All was going well until 5 minutes from the end of our massage we were joined by a translator who wanted to report back to us all of the problems the massager had encountered. Apparently my wife had some tension in her back and if she would like to pay for an addittional medical massage this would sort the problem!! Not happy and now totally stressed. To be fair after our complaint we were given a complimentary shiatzu massage but that was not the point.

My advice would be to find something that may not be as clean and slick but may be more authentic and relaxing.

Visited August 2013