“Was much better than expected”
Review of Grand Hotel Faros

Grand Hotel Faros
Ranked #105 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed 19 September 2009

We have just returned from a 2 week stay in Grand Faros and we had an amazing holiday. After reading some less than savoury reviews online we werent expectinga great deal fom the hotel...but we were wrong!! The rooms were cleaned everday and the maids were some of the best we have come across, they even folded my clothes and put my shoes away!
We only went bed and breakfast but next time would not hesitate to go half board because the dinner buffet is very good with differnt choices each night, including traditional turkish kebabs, grilled fish and chicken skewers done on the barbeque! The best thing about this was that if you hadnt booked half board dinner was only 10 TYL each which works out at £4!
The hotel is quite far from the centre and the beach but there is both a free minibus and the local dolmus bus which runs every 20 minutes which costs 1TYL each. This was ideal for us as we only went to relax. Excursions are very good value, especially the Turtle Island boat trip which cost £10 each for the whole day and included entrance to the Mudbaths! Another excursion which we went on was Ephesus which is an ancient city about 2 hrs away. This was slightly more pricey, but well worth getting up at 6:30am for!
The down sides of the holiday were the fact you couldnt bring your own food or drink into the hotel, and the prices at the bar and the mini bar are quite expensive. One day i took a can of pop from the mini-bar and took it down to the pool because i hadnt finished it, there i was absconded by the bar staff and told hat i shouldnt do this because it would 'confuse other guests'! The only other thisng was the continues hassle you get in the resort centres and at the beach, they try and sell yuo anything and are quite forceful about it. I would never go to Marmaris as a single woman or even with a group of friends, i think that unfortuatly it is only safe to go with a male, if you dont want to receive undue attention form the locals.

Overall a very good holiday and a very good hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunbeammoonbeam

Reviewed 3 September 2009

We stayed in this hotel in July 2009 for two nights. The location of the hotel is ok. There is a big shopping center in walking distance. They gave us a room on the top floor and it was very hot(AC was not enough to cool). I don't recommend the rooms on the top floor.
It is a busy and crowded hotel. We bought the room with half-board. Both breakfast and dinner were ok. Hotel staff is helpfull but due to the crowd, they are very stressed. I think management should hire more staff...
The good thing about the hotel is that, they have a beach club in Icmeler with free shuttle service. We enjoyed it alot.
It is a typical 3* hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank couplefromDoha
Reviewed 26 July 2009

we went 2 grand faros 3 july 2009 for 2weeks wiv our son had a fantstic holiday bit out of way but the bus was good my son enjoyed it all staff were friendly and went out of there way 2 help i have left some photos which cost me 60 pound if any1 knows how 2 contact them can help my email is joannematt79@hotmail.com many thanks and had a wonderful holiday

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I have got to say I really enjoyed this hotel. Again rooms are very basic but clean - but why do they need to be anything else? After all your only sleeping there. The pool is very nice and normally there is no problem getting sunbeds except when its change over day when you need to get down a little earlier. However, I cant comment on the breakfasts as I never got up in time for this!lol! The food at dinner though was quite good for a turkish hotel but again quite basic.
The staff are very friendly and the entertainment was quite good. Although I went as part of a group of 4 lads I would mainly advise this for couples and famalies as the location is probably its only weakness. The hotel is situated about a mile away from the centre and also the beach. A lot of people have mentioned the prices in the hotel but I didnt think they was too bad. For example a large beer is 5 lira which is about 2 quid which is what most people charge around marmaris although if you look carefully you can find some pints for 1 pound a pint. If anyone has any questions about this hotel please ask me and I will let you know what I think but I would definately advise this hotel.

This hotel is very good value for money considering once your flights and transfers are taken out you are only paying ten quid a night per person. My holiday actually worked out cheaper to go here half board than it did to go self catering.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank stubob
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I spent a week early in June in this hotel and can confirm it is a very good value for money. The place is in a quiet pleasant location full of trees and hills (although beside an empty building site) and the staff is really friendly. Rooms are very clean although small but we expected that. The food is not brilliant but the variety is good, with lots of salads (the tomatoes are so tasty and full of sunshine).

The hotel is a good 20 minute walk from town (Marmaris) but the beach there is not very good. There is a van which goes to town in the morning and in the evening from the hotel. I spent most of the time in the pool or going on excursions. I can recommend the white water rafting – it’s a real thrill with stunning views and felt very safe and fun. There was no hassle in the markets compared to other Arabic/Muslim countries. It seems that Turkish people are quite westernised.

The only sad thing in Marmaris is that it is hard to find a snack bar or restaurant with authentic Turkish food. All the restaurants seems to sell only yorkshire puddings, english breakfast, fish and chips, sausages and all the greasy stuff we all know too well. Well, what’s the point to eat British food in Turkey? The rest was absolutely fine and quite pleasant, cheap & cheerful holiday!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lalobba
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This Hotel is really a Gem. We Travelled from 19/06-04/07 a party of 4. We arrived at 4am to be greeted by friendly staff, which continued throughout the holiday. The rooms were immaculate and remained so throughout our stay. The food was Half Board and u could eat like a king. Many Many different Meals were provided to reflect the many nationalities that pass through this hotel, however all added to the experience. This hotel was truly amazing. The Staff around Breakfast, Pool and Dinner were so efficeinet and never stopped. Seda and Ilyias were two people we will not forget. They were Fab, never without a smile and so Polite. The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way, however as previously stated there is a free shuttle at 09.20am to Icmeler and 10.00am to Marmaris Beach (Faros) Which may i also add were both exceptionally clean with well turned out staff. The Entertainement was Ok however i have never seen a Raffel go on so long in my life! All 4 of us vowed we would reccommend this Hotel and would return.

When Traveling to Turkey and for those who have been to turkey u expect that if the hotel says 4* it really means 3* or even 2* at a push compared to British standards. However, i can honestly say that this hotel was a genuine 4* and was well worth it.

Marmaris - Well like marmite u either love it or hate it. There is something for everyone and it really is a massive resort. However all i can say that is slightly critical is that the current economic climate has made them even worse for wanting your money. It was never ending, my friend, u eat, drink buy coats, shoes, hats, belts, buckles, handbags, Jeep Safari, Boat Trip, Ice Cream i swear the list was endless and after two weeks it gets boring. Bar Street is really good however, take our advice and your reps advice and get drunk before you go because you will pay 10 Lira for two bottles of water (£5) which is steep to my reconing. Rhodes was a fab trip, we went across on the catamaran - please dont be duped into paying extra because your going on the hydrofoil because there is no such thing. I would also reccomend that you dont just book your trips with the Reps as they are hiking the price up for a service you can get elsewhere and cheaper. I woule reccomend going to see the fellers at the marina on the boats as they offer cheaper trips. Boat trips were amazing, food was crap but hey its all in for a tenner! Please get yourselves to Talk of the Town it was amazing, its a bit strange seeing Drag Artists in this country but they were amazing and well worth the £19 we paid. This included your evening meal and one free local Drink. However, as i said it was grand never laughed like it in ages. We tavelled as a group of 4 to Marmaris, two of us loved it and would deffo go back two of us hated it and would not return, all i can say is go with an open mind.

Dalyan Transfer - Well this was the only let down of my holiday. We paid to go to the Dalyan Mud baths and to Turtle Beach to see the Big Turtles, which we did. However we were taken to a Carpet Factory where they attempted to sell u rugs for £1500. We were furious! This was not in the itinery and we were not told, after two weeks of hard sell its not what you want. The mud baths were ok and the sulpher pools were like swinning in a swap and smelt like it. It really was gross! The turtle beach i found boring however three of our friends liked it very much. We were then taken to a hotel near by for our evening meal and to remain there till we were transfered to Dalaman Airport when required. The hotel we were taken to was awfull. Coming from a hotel with such high standards that we had recieved for two weeks to this tired dirty hotel was a shame. However thankfully we would not return to this place nor Dalyan for that matter it was not really for us, this resort was unpolished, the potential was there but it was not quiet there.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 12 June 2009

me and my boyfriend travelled to this hotel on 29th of may when we arived reception was very friendly and welcoming we where shown to our rooms where the bell boy explained things, we then went down to tea at half 7. food was very good, could do with a bit more variety but was very good food. waiters were exceptionall friendly murat huseyin seda mardin and tamer where all very nice to us and we are going to keep in contact with a few of them. the air conditioning could go down a few degrees but hoitel was very friendly and very clean. pool side is cleaned every mornin after breakfast before sunbeds are put out. the hotel is a 15 minute walk from the beach front but it is a nice walk. the hotel offers a free shuttle bus every morning to icmeler, faros beach and marmaris beach front if not there are local busses which come every 10 minutes and stop any where you put your hand out. over all was a fab holiday and i would go back tomorrow if i could!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple