“Very good hotel...for Marmaris”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Alize

Ranked #13 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel...for Marmaris”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

From what I can gather, views on Marmaris itself are divided, but lean towards the negative. I find it hard to disagree, but will focus on the hotel - if you like Marmaris, I think you could do a whole lot worse than staying here. The photos we had seen actually don't do it justice. Staff are very friendly and pleasant, and I would like to think not just because tipping is huge in Turkey..! The location is good for the main street, beach, water park (all within easy walking distance), but seemed a bit quiet/isolated when walking out at night.

The rooms are nice enough, spacious, and come equipped with heating (yes, we did use it in May!!)/air con, hair dryer, fridge, hob, towels for at the pool and a TV for which you can buy very reasonable packages. The safe is in a room next to the reception, which at first seems odd (they have a master key and you keep your key - both need to be used in conjunction), but actually works out fine. For a change, we had a double bed (or even king size?) instead of twin beds, which was a bonus. We stayed far away from the pool in order to minimise noise; nice idea had it not been for an Alsation barking all hours in the grounds of the next hotel. But generally, we had a good sleep quality.

There are various little businesses within the hotel (tattoo artist, a couple of shops including one selling the mandatory fake designer clothes, a hairdresser and a games room). The games room was about 50% functional which wasn't great when we had wet weather the first few days, but once the sun was out we didn't really care! There is also a spa where you can purchase various treatments, and a 'gym'. The latter was very disappointing to be honest, but when it is 35 degrees +, then maybe intensive exercise isn't the best idea.

The pool is great with no steep inclines to deep water. I think it ranged from 1 m to 1.6 m, with a separate kids pool, complete with chute. The main pool also has a chute that is open between certain times only. Kids under 3 are told, or rather their parents are told, to wear swimming nappies. This doesn't always happen though - not the fault of the hotel, but the type of person that maybe goes there (see last paragraph...). There were 3 days in a row where there were 'incidents'... One of these required the pool to be closed for treatment, but no signs were put up. When my family and I returned from a trip into town, we thought we'd have a dip to cool down... Needless to say when I found out I was furious; staff didn't seem to be too concerned but did stick up a few hastily typed signs. I was told that it is a very frequent occurrence (again, maybe indicative of the holidaymakers who frequent here), so surely they would have some kind of signs available..?

There is entertainment from around 10.00 until 23.00, with a couple of breaks. At times it can be a bit too much, perhaps if you want to relax by the pool (!) but some of the guys are great fun. The evening entertainment is the same every night until later on, at which point there is some variety. After 2 weeks, this became very tedious, but some people may love it. I would suggest avoiding the 'comedy' show though. Apart from being as funny as a hernia, it does cross certain lines. I am far from P.C., but there were several times where I winced - whether it was the homophobic comments, boot polish on the face, 'joke' acts in which pretend babies were stabbed... One to avoid.

The kids club, run by Thomson staff, is really good. All the girls are very friendly and the kids loved it.

I have saved the best for last. The food. It is great, and easily the best I have had on holiday. At all meal times there is a choice of freshly cooked food from the grill area next to the bar, or food from the indoor area (more to follow on that...). The hot snacks (chicken burgers, nuggets, rolls etc) are available from late in the morning and are delivered to your sun lounger! There is also a section with exquisitely made little morsels, and a selection of beautifully carved fruit. There was not a single meal where I struggled to find something very nice to eat. If you have fussy kids though, their selection is perhaps a bit limited. You can choose to eat indoors, in the covered seated area outside, or in the uncovered area, slightly further out (though no tables are put there when it's raining), which brings me on to the main down side of my experience...

...As a non smoker, I like to breathe in fairly fresh air (and I like my kids not to be overly exposed to the poisonous stench) - I know, how selfish of me. In cases where there were no tables available in the uncovered section, and after the indoor section had shut, it was like we had gone through a time warp to the 80's - I have never encountered so many smokers in one place at the same time. All the smoke just collected in the covered area - it was awful! Each to their own though, so moving on, there were quite a few families who had absolutely no control over their kids, or even any interest in what they were doing/where they were, on their 'family holiday'. There were a lot of semi-feral kids running everywhere, kicking footballs onto tables, stealing inflatables etc. This can't be a slight on the hotel, as it is not their responsibility to bring children up, but again, maybe shows what sort of people (NOT REFERRING TO ALL PEOPLE THERE) holiday here in higher numbers than would be expected... In summary, despite me listing some negatives, if you are considering Marmaris, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rednap36

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I must state I am suprised at the negative reviews on here of Club Alize as my husband, my step son and myself (i am also 3 months pregnant aswell) have just returned from 2 weeks of fun, happiness and fond memories of the place!

CLEANLINESS AND ROOMS
Might I add that I am an OCD clean freak and I was amazed at how clean the staff all keep this place. I recall once seeing a youmg child accidently knocked his food on the floor, accidently tipped his drink everywhere and the plate smashed on the floor (as kids do) and the staff took no time at all to sort it out...there was one member of staff sweepimg the food and smashed plate up while the other sorted the split drink out on the table changing the cloths in a matter of minutes -all with smiles on their faces.
So the restaurant and buffet was spotless. The rooms were a tiny bit dusty(then again I am ocd), but very clean. The pool area was constantly being cleaned and pool also clean.
Yes you do have to pay for tv in your room, however why would you bother when you are on holiday surely you can do that when you get back home?? And there is a kitchen in the room with a few plates and cups in cupboards ...but the hotel is all inclusive so if you arent using it why complain about it as its in the corner of the room taking up no space. The beds for kids are similar to that of a sofa bed in the living room, so if you do want to use the living room you still can!

ENTERTAINMENT
the entertainment staff were lovely, fun and great with kids, families and couples. The night time entertainment was great for kids (mini disco) and adults later in the evening with a few games even the kids could join in with. A range if activities are offered throughout the day water polo, lilo races, water aerobics, darts, pool, etc.

FOOD
Baring in mind I am pregnant so couldnt eat a lot of the food (fish etc so that shows how much variety there is) it was fantastic. There was always a variety for everyones tastes and they even do a sunday dinner on sundays! The mashed potatoes are scrummy!! Kids meals are the same most nights of the chips, pasta, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, spag bol but I dont see how that could be an issue for people as if they dont want to eat the kids buffet surely you would just let them eat off they other buffet as there is loads to choose from??
The breakfast, lunch and snacks menu were great, and no one can complain about variety. They always had somethimg for everyone, veg, fruit, puddings, currys, potatoes, meats, cheeses, fish etc.

All in all a 10 out of 10 for this hotel we will definitely be returning thank you to all the staff you are doing a fantastic job
Love from the Jolly family

All in all the hotel was lovely and clean

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lauren Grace J
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed in May and thought the hotel and all it's staff we're excellent from the reception to the waiting and bar staff to the cleaners and the ever present hard working entertainment team. The hotel itself was immaculate and the rooms cleaned daily, double bed wasn't the best but for 2 weeks manageable so can't complain really. From our experience of all inclusive the food was fantastic, expected chicken every meal like our previous Turkey holiday but had a cracking choice and variation every meal including steak and an absolutely fantastic beef dinner on Sunday . There was plenty to drink but could probably do with a detailed drinks menu for what you are actually allowed as some of the bar staff don't speak great English and struggle when the bar manager is off. Any problems or queries and Maria(guest relations) is there to sort it out . We had a great time and are already looking to book again for next, highly recommend .

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank mrpostman1974
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed at the Club Alize for the first week of June 2014 with my 2 sisters and toddler niece. I am not one to complain or moan unnecessarily so will write this review including the positives points.

Room

Our room had one bedroom with 2 single beds pushed together and the living room furniture converted into 2 single 'beds'. They were also incredibly uncomfortable, probably due to the 1cm depth mattresses and the bed sheets were made from a material which had a strange rubber like texture on one side which is not ideal in hot weather.

There are basic kitchen facilities which would allow for you to cater for yourselves if you were not enjoying the food (which is highly likely). The only obstacle in your way would be the lack of kitchen utensils with our room having just 3 plates, glasses and mugs. I'm not sure why they have provided hobs as unless you have packed your pots and pans, it's a complete waste of space.

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and the room attendants did a great job with what they had to work with.

Due to the living room furniture having been converted into the beds, there was no where to sit whilst in the room except for the balcony which only had 2 chairs and when then are 4 of you it does mean you have to take it in turns to enjoy the wonderful view of the back alley.

There is a tv in the room but you have to pay £10 - It is really isn't worth paying for it as there are very few channels that actually work.

The only upside to the bathroom is the phone next to the toilet which is very handy for when you have to spend long periods of time on the toilet from the sickness and diarrhoea you will no doubt have during your stay.

Prior to booking the holiday I made sure I read reviews on trip advisor due to travelling with a fussy 2 year old. People had described the food as 'amazing' and 'perfect'. If I had just one word to use it would be HORRENDOUS.

There is a dedicated children's section but if you care about hour children's health and well being you will not let them eat the offerings for breakfast. The selection included hotdogs in a brown gravy like sauce, chips and what resembled Yorkshire puddings.

As with most all inclusive restaurants there is a self service toast machine. You will need to remain patient whilst waiting for your bread to toast as some adults behind you appear to have lost any manners, with one man virtually climbing on my back to get his toast into the machine instead of waiting his turn.

They open a snack bar from 11:30 in addition to the main restaurant but the choices are greasy, repetitive and simply unhealthy.

The lunch offerings for children were the same everyday we were there with chips, pasta and sauce and 'fish' fingers which neither taste nor smell like fish.

Lunch and dinner are basically the same foods disguised in different sauces. The desserts look like something out of Joseph and the technicolor dream coat. They are tasteless, rubbery and as with most other foods, inedible.

We ended up having to eat out for half of the stay as we couldn't face the food served in the restaurant.

Bar / drinks offerings

For the size of the hotel, we expected there to be more than just the pool bar. There were always a line of people waiting / pushing in so it took ages to get to the bar for drinks / water.

As for the drinks, some are charged at an extra rate but they do not advertise what is included within your all inclusive package and when you ask the bar staff they either do not know or pretend they do not for ease of their job.

The majority of the bar staff were rude and quite often ignored you for long periods of time. It does beg the question as to why they are working there in the first place.

During the day they do walk around collecting glasses and plates from sun beds - on a daily basis, however drinks were taken away before you had even finished. Most days, bottles of water were removed when they were clearly still being used and drinks which had been purchased from the shop were taken without asking.

Entertainment

As with the reviews on the food, the reviews of the entertainment and staff appeared to be positive. It is fair to say that they do work hard, however they were very loud, intrusive and overbearing most of the time.

When approached to do activities in the day, if you did not want to join in some of them would become quite rude which was not what you expect.

Other guests

I have read reviews where people have complained about the number of children running around and screaming. Although sometimes it was very loud, you cannot blame the children. The issue I had was with the parents who appeared to not know what their children were doing or if they did, they need to take a long look at their parenting skills. Some of the older children were very rough with other children, pushing and splashing younger ones in and around the pool. It's difficult to blame the children when a lot of the adults staying at the hotel had zero manners themselves.

It would appear that the hotel has gone from self catering to all inclusive with doing no research into what good looks like. The information in the rooms is out of date as it makes reference to it being a self catering hotel.

We won't be visiting again- it's a shame as much more could be done to make it a better experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Karazc
Babbles1964, Guest Relations Manager at Club Alize, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your response on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry that you were not happy with your stay with us, and I would just like to cover a few points that you raised in your post.

Firstly we dont put many kitchen utensils in the rooms now, because we are all inclusive we find they dont really get used. However all you had to do was ask myself ,or reception by dialling 0 and we would have been happy to supply as many pots and pans etc as needed.

As regards the chairs on the balconies due to health and safety standards and regulations given to us by First Choice, regarding fire safety only 1 table and 2 chairs can be placed on the balconies, this is for guest safety as well as your own.

Again if there was a problem with you receiving channels on your TV and not getting all of them, why did you not report this, so we could sort the problem for you.

As regards the food in the hotel I can assure you again our food hygiene is second to none you would have noticed a lady wearing all white and a hat always present in the restaurant food area who is actually employed by the Turkish Government, she is always monitoring the hygiene standards during service and samples of ALL the food is taken daily, so if there is an outbreak of sickness, the government can test these samples to check if we are at fault. Im happy to say we have a 100% clean record in this area, and if you feel we were recycling food I can assure you this is NOT the case, and at anytime any guest is welcome to view our kitchen area. Children are not restricted to the buffet are they are free to have food from anywhere in the restaurant. Hardly any hotels in Marmaris do this and we are only a 3* if you were sick or ill believe me if it was the hotel EVERYONE would come down with it. Maybe you should be pointing the blame elsewhere, after all you did say you went out to eat? Did they have this kind of system in place?

As to what is included as far as drinks go, there have beens signs (two) on the bar since the start of June stating exactly what is included. I know as I wrote them myself, They are definately there.

Lastly the final point I would like to make is this.....we appreciate people writing negative comments, but what I dont understand is why when you have a Guest Relations Manager who is there to help the guests with any problems they may have, so we can get things sorted straight away, so you can enjoy your holiday. Or you can report any problems to reception, again to get them sorted, and finally there is a First Choice Holiday Advisor (Jen) who is also very happy to help. Why nothing was said to any of us about the points you have raised, this is what we are here for this is our job, yet there is no record of you using us!!!

I hope this clarifies the points raised

london
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at Club Alize for a week with my partner and 2 year old son. First time in Turkey and the hotel from the first instance exceeded my expectations. Despite the small entrance, as you walk in you notice how big it is and most importantly, clean and well-run.

Over the week during our stay I would say it is the staff who really make this hotel its best and worthy of the awards its won in Turkey. They whole hotel is spotless, and the customer service is paramont to any 4*-5* in resorts in Cuba or Dominica Rep. So lovely and welcoming with any request you can make.

The room we had was spotless too and definately appreicative of the 2 bedroom 2 bathroom room we got (did not request for it). Unfortunately our room was facing the main road (front of the hotel) so it was very noisy with the traffic all time of the day and the beds are not the best, but the cleanliness and amenties inside do make up for it. We had a cot for our stay and when the porter came, made it up and dressed it with clean sheets (I checked and even brought some from home), it was very touching and above any other service in a 3* hotel.

The pool area is pleasant when no one is around, but once it reaches 7-8am, your lucky to find a sunbed at all. I would definately rate the food 8/10. So much variety which is just mouth watering and accommodating to the British holidaymakers that are the there. The staff work so hard and the hotel have so much that is included in the stay, I can see why some people did not leave but that was not appealing to me personally. The hotel is 10min straight walk away from Marmaris town and then its easy to walk around or travel elsewhere to other locations/excursions.

I would recommend this to anyone with young children and who would rather a comfortable stay within a hotel. It is very British heavy and young children all over. Biggest negative would be the pool temp is really cold. Only the children could keep in it after jumping in and out all day.

It is a 3* star hotel so I am very happy to return, there is so much that could push it to 4* star. The staff there are parmont to none! They really make this hotel and my family's time a holiday to remember.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of our hotel, Your feedback is very important and we are so pleased you and your Familys holiday was enjoyed. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank You.

Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel itself is a small and compact complex, with spacious rooms that are well equipped with kettle, toaster etc and are cleaned daily. (Towels and Beach towels are also changed regular)
We enjoyed the choice of food, with something for everyone but it was a shame they don't serve ice cream in the restaurant at meal times for the children.
Limited choice of alcoholic drinks and only one bar within the complex so you have to queue a lot of the time.
The evening entertainment was amateur and tedious most nights although our little boy did enjoy the kids fun party on Thursday evening, fun disco, party games, balloon modelling dancing robot etc.
Unfortunately guests chose to put beach towels out on sunbeds at 6.20am every morning!! Cant blame the Germans as the hotel was 95% British occupancy!!
There is a lovely large sun terrace which is quiet and clean and you can get a sunbed up until 10am!
We found the majority of the guests let their toddlers and children run wild throughout the days and nights. Parents appeared not to be bothered and uninterested in what their children were up to which resulted in incidents such as children fighting on the stage, parents bickering etc. We saw the restaurant manager telling them off once but really this isn't his job and totally unfair for him.
In the restaurant there was no smoking areas but unfortunately some smokers took no notice and smoked everywhere, which was extremely unpleasant for none smokers.
The tattooist on site was very busy as most guests had lots of tattoos and wanted more......
Its a shame to say it, but we wont be returning to this hotel or Marmaris!!

Room Tip: Don't take Turkish Lira, just take sterling as they accept it everywhere and you know exactly ho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank sunnyredcar
Hi we would like to thank you for reviewing Club Alize we do appreciate this. I will personally look into the smoking situation again today, I can assure you. Unfortunately, as you made a point of its not our place to chastise unruly children this must be done by their parents or guardians, there is only so much we can do Im afraid. Thank you once again for your input.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel from the 29th May 14 - 5th June 14 I can't comment on anything for kids as it was just us 2, it was a last minute booking so got a real good deal. We didn't arrive until 3am but were pleasantly surprised with our room, i think it was in the deal that we had a family room and late check out which wasn't till 6pm and well worth paying for if you hadn't at the time of booking and you have a late flight.
The room was brilliant 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms although we didn't really need the extra room but the bathroom really came in handy!! ample living space and kitchen with sofa and tv, id suggest paying £10 at reception for the TV for the week it came in handy when getting ready or if we went back to the room early some nights. The only bad point was the noise i have read quite a lot of reviews which say the same if you have a room at the front of the hotel, i thought it was just me as my partner could sleep through anything! The room was right opposite the local school and they play a song which sounds like a old school ringtone quite a few times a day which wasn't too bad but if your planning having a lay in its quite annoying also at night when lads drive past with the loudest sound system that shakes the windows or lorrys beeping it starts to get a bit frustrating, my partner is a heavy sleeper and it didn't bother him in the slightest but if your not its probably best to get a pool view room.
We got up and went for breakfast it was ok but not amazing, the rest of the food was though could not fault it at all, they even had turkey mash roast potatoes yorkshires on sunday it was ok but 10/10 for the effort. Great if your wanting to try new things and alway something new every night, pool bar was great that was open from 11-4 with pizza hot dogs etc then between 3-5 you can have ice creams which we miss so much the caramel was amazing! cheesecake was to die for. All of the staff couldn't do enough for you and all plates and glasses were cleared within minutes of finishing the one thing i would say was quite a lot of kids running between the tables and throwing balls around the place whilst your trying to eat. The alcohol was for sure watered down we didn't get drunk once and drank a fair bit that if we'd have been at home we'd have been plastered, you can buy imports though.
My partner went for a turkish bath at the hotel that he loved and was well worth the money the guy who does it is really friendly too.
We didn't struggle to get a sunbed at all, we weren't fussed about where it was along as it was in the sun if you are going as a couple id suggest going up on the balcony above the bar for a bed as its a lot quieter and not as many kids we did notice far more adult groups and couples up there but it all just depends what sort of holiday your after as there is games in the pool and by the pool in the afternoon.
The locations of the hotel is great only about a 5 minute walk to the shops and about a 10 minute walk to the beach and loads of bars and restaurants, there is a bus to the harbour but we were happy to walk which took around 20 minutes and its a nice walk, if your going to do some shopping you need to go to the bizarre its huge and has clothes watches bags shoes, nothings real or has prices so just make them an offer i guarantee you'll only end up paying what you want to for it.
Overall it was a brill holiday and a great surprise for what we paid considering it was last minute and we hadn't read any reviews we weren't sure what to expect, we'd love to go back and maybe we will next year. The staff were fab, all of them!
Just one tip, if your a muscly guy prepare to be touched and called rambo by everyone! We couldn't believe the attention my partner got because he is a big guy, thats by the men and not women ha

Room Tip: Try and get a family room, even if theres only 2 of you the extra space is so worth it also a pool v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi and thank you so much for taking time out to leave us a very positive review of the hotel, we do appreciate this. I just want to comment on a point that you raised just to clarify it, regarding the alcohol been watered down. We have to adhere to very very strict guidelines not only by the Turkish Government but also by First Choice, all out beer barrels are sealed and stamped with a government stamp, and all the spirits also have sealed tops, which anyone is welcome to check at anytime, we would lose our contract if we were to be found selling diluted alcohol. I hope this clarifies your point. I hope we can welcome you back to Club Alize in the future. Thank you again.

Maria Babalik (Guest Relations Manager)