“Better than expected”

Blue Bay Classic Hotel
Ranked #69 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My boyfriend and myself stayed for 11 nights at the end of september, and after seeing a few iffy reviews, weren't too sure what to expect. We needn't have worried, the hotel itself is spotlessly clean, very modern and the staff are all friendly and willing to help wherever possible. Our room was an ideal size, and we were lucky enough to be given a room with a bit of a sea view even though we paid for land view. There were a few problems in the room, the tv (we paid for english channels) cut out through bad reception quite a lot, the sink drained away all the time even with the plug down, and the shower head wouldnt stay up (we tied it with a straw!) but this would all have been fixed im sure if we bothered to tell reception. as it was, it didn't really affect us at all and it certainly wouldnt stop me coming back. the food was amazing, i dont know why people say its repetitive, yes ofcourse some dishes are the same each night, but theres always something different as well. im a very fussy eater but there was always something i liked. the all inclusive drinks were worthwhile if you enjoy drinking. we're not big drinkers so in hind sight it would probably have been cheaper to just go half board. the swimming pool was very clean, plenty of deckchairs if you're there by 11am latest. i can imagine in peak season its too busy for everyone to have a seat. the pool was a bit too cold to swim in, i know abroad pools arent usually heated, but i didnt see one single person spend a great deal of time in there cos it was so cold! the entertainment is what lets this hotel down, or more the lack of. there was supposedly entertainment on most nights but we never saw any (the sister hotel next door had lots of great sounding entertainment, but unfortunately we were told we couldnt go there to watch). The daytime and evening music out by the pool is also pretty horrendous. not just old music, but barely stuff anyone has heard of. again, unlike the sister hotel which you could hear at more popular stuff. Only little things that again didnt bother us too much, but may affect some people. The only major downside was the bedding, we think it was a mistake but on arrival we had one hard sheet that didnt even cover the whole bed (more like a single), as time went on we just asked for more and eventually built up a semi decent bed cover. maybe its because im used to a big duvet, but it wasnt great. I would recommend this hotel however, as i think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Room Tip: 8507 on top floor had partial sea view at land view rate
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaffatinx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My partner and I went for a lovely week in April 2011 and had a fantastic time. Staff were helpful and pleasant, room was clean, food was good.. I left my phone in my room and didnt realise till I arrived back home in London, I contacted them and they posted it back to me.
Since hearing about the refurb we've booked again to go in mid October and I can't wait!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here with my father in August 2013 and was joined with my best mate and his wife who had chosen this hotel because of its location to where his son and family were staying. So in short it was not my choice of hotel but the Trip Advisor rating appeared to be good. It was not a cheap option either costing nearly £870 for a week all inclusive from East Midlands Airport.

AIR Conditioning:
As you might expect in August the outside temperature was in the 40’s and so one would expect when entering your hotel from outside that you would be met with cool air conditioned refreshed cool air – sadly this was not the case there was not much change. There was air conditioning but it was not very noticeable and seemed to be switched off in the hotel corridors.

Since the air conditioning only worked when you were in your room due to smart card system (it don’t allow credit cards to fool it), it took about 30 minutes before you noticed the room getting cooler. So there was no immediate respite from the heat after coming from the pool area or the Town.

All Inclusive
Drinks: There were limitations to the all inclusive drinks which affected the quality of the holiday experience. The wines were clearly local but not very tasty.

Food: The food quality and choice was good.

WIFI: There was free WIFI but this was only obtained in the bar/lounge area.

The service was best with the girls in the restaurant (only one) who did a good job in being responsive to your requests for drinks when you arrived at a table and clearing your used plates. They also came back and ask if you wanted more drinks. There was no service around the pool so you had to get up and go to the pool bar – although on the odd occasion a waiter came around with a tray of fruit punch drinks.

Hotel Environment
Unlike many hotels I have stayed in over the years, the layout of this hotel and seating was uninviting especially in the reception and bar lounge area.

Pool and Poolside
The pool size is small for a 4 star but we did managed to get a sun lounger without having to get up early. However, there were not many umbrellas for shade so you had to either go in the pool or go to the bar area to escape the sun.

There were attendants who played music around the pool which was loud disco type music not suitable for middle aged people like me. There were games organised in the pool which restricted your scope in the pool if you did not wish to join in.

Beach
The beach was a 5 minutes’ walk which we did not attend as there would be no all inclusive drinks provided. Also, the beach at Marmaris is not that special – its best to go out to sea on boat trips and swim in the clear water.

Extras
We had to pay extra for the safe deposit box and we could only have one car for the room which meant that you were tied to each other for going in and out of the room. They would not give as two cards due to the air con smart card I suspect.

Bedroom
The room was what I expected for a standard twin room although they only provided one pillar. We had to buy our own water for the room. On arrival the hot water tap did not work but it was repaired within a day.

Gym/Sauna
The gym is very basic with a couple of machines which have computer monitoring which do not work and are hardly used. The sauna is ok but only free between 3pm to 5pm. There are massages you can pay extra for. There are no drinks readlily on hand after the sauna or workout.

Room Tip: If you need good air conditioning throughout don't choose this hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Philip G
HULL ENGLAND
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Having not had a holiday for many years - loved this holiday. There was an initial problem with the rooms which did get sorted out the following morning. My son and I had a top corner balcony room and a sitting room which was ideal as my son had special needs. The room, the service and the food I cannot fault. Although we didn't go far from the hotel it had everything we needed - a little more entertainment at night would have been good - but apart from that the pool was lovely, even though the chairs were taken up early, the staff did help and always found some extras to cater for our needs. All staff were friendly and nearly always had a smile. The only comment I can make is the toilet facility for disabled men and women was not ideal. The disabled toilets were located at the back of the mens and ladies toilets, which did prove a little awkward at times, taking a man into a ladies toilet wasn't ideal and I could see some were not comfortable with this, and I as a woman wouldn't have felt comfortable walking through the mens toilets to take him to the disabled facility. Would have been ideal if a few seperate disabled facilities had been available. Even so we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and we would go back there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Good Points:
- Excellent staff, all very friendly and helpful
- Modern and well decorated hotel
- Perfect location - near the beach, shops, bars and restaurants
- Quick check in - no queues and luggage taken to the room for you
- Hairdressers inside hotel (amazing at eye brow threading)
- Variety of drinks
- Good air con in the rooms (However not around the hotel e.g lobby and restaurant)
-Nice rooms cleaned regularly and powerful shower

Bad Points:
- Food - extremely repetitive! Ate out 6 nights of the 10 as I never felt particularly great after eating here. The best meal was breakfast as fresh omelettes or fried eggs can be made infront of you. Overall, the food at this hotel looked a lot nicer than it tasted.
- Sunbeds - people getting up at the crack of dawn to reserve sunbeds. Arrived at the pool most days at around 9:30 and it was a struggle to find 2 sun loungers and to find space for them. Blue Bay should ban reserving sunbeds as some towels were there all day without anyone on them.
- Pool area - Blaring music around the pool playing club/dub step music, couldn't even hear my boyfriend speak who was sitting right next to me. The music is irritating which was also noticed by others around the pool.
- Check out - As we had a late flight we were offered the hotel spa downstairs which was absolutely AWFUL. Broken hairdryers, showers clogged with hair and peoples left over soaps and sponges. It was obvious that they had not been cleaned in weeks. No towels provided, young boy who sits at desk was extremely unhelpful, just said 'No' when we asked for a towel, had to go back to reception and wait for them to be provided. No toilet roll in the toilets, my boyfriend asked the young boy for some and again he replied 'No', had to go to the toilets on the other side of the hotel to get some while the young boy just sat there. I would not advise this facility, just pay the extra 70 lira for your room.

Overall, a modern and clean hotel. However there are many things that let this hotel down. If I was to return to Marmaris I would advise to stay in Elegance which is down the road from Blue Bay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LS132013
Reviewed 24 September 2013

What a hidden treasure !! I don't ever bother to write reviews but this hotel was def worth a mention. The staff are always smiling, extremely friendly, polite &nothing too much bother. The hotel decor throughout was very modern and kept clean at all times it was perfect
The pool was nice and free ice creams bought to you on your sunbed on those hotter days were an added bonus
No pettiness of early morning towels on the sunbeds required to secure a spot around the pool here
The  location was ideal to either walk along by the beach to various bars clubs and restaurants or for the hardcore hitting  "bar street"just a short cheap cab ride for those early mornings coming home
( the hotel staff sometimes lay on a mini bus there and back)
I went all inclusive on a late deal & it was worth a great find& worth every penny !
The food was excellent, fresh and very well presented , plus with my food allergy I never had a problem with variety during the whole week
A spa, local shop,  hairdressers and nail salon also added bonuses
What more can I say except for the fact I'd definitely go back and highly recommend this adult hotel which is great for people of all ages ! Enjoy your stay here !

• Stayed September 2013
merseyside
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Just got back from blue bay classic, stayed from 02/09/13 - 23/09/13. There were six of us as a family, their opinons were split, but this is my review so i will base it on that.

Staff: WOW! very professional and hard working, restuarant staff never ever stop working, always asking if you want a drink at meal times, nothing too much trouble, constantly clearing plates away and providing an excellent service, as the reviews have proved the staff work hard and are a credit to the hotel. Even the front security staff who waved us off when we left and helped with suitcases.

As we stayed for three weeks we became friendly with staff in Bonsai bar at the front of hotel, in particular Melek (who has left to go to Uni) she was the entertainment, always chatting and having a good laugh with the guests, she was teaching me turkish! All the family loved Melek we were sad when she left .
Di Di who also works at the bonsai bar, lovely lovely girl, quite quiet but once you get to know her she is a funny character who will share a laugh, loved her (has her nose pierced, look out for her)
Jon another staff member at bonsai, hilarious, cant make cocktails but will have ago and failing that he will let you make your own!! He did make me a special ice coffeee though on our last day and it was delicious. Cocktails include, sex on teh beach, blue lagoon and blue bays special, all very strong!!
beer was efes but I dont drink beer.
Local gin, raki, vodka, peach schnapps and red and white wine. You have to pay for import spirits. Various non alcoholic drinks, diet coke, fanta, sprite and soda water(schweppes) and iced coffee,nescafe and tea. there is slush served at the pool bar as well but never really got my drinks there.
Special thank you to Nicola the guest relations Manager, We exchanged many e-mails before our arrival and she did her best to make our stay as comfortable as possible, an outstanding staff member.

Also a mention to vehap and Baki both front desk staff, they were very helpful and vehap refunded me money when I was over charged for the sky channels. 10.00 one week and 15.00 for two weeks as we stayed three iand therefore paid 25.00 in total, well worth it if you like your premier football, as hotel doesnt play the football, you have to go the cuba bar if you want to watch footie and pay for drinks. Other channels include, BBC, ITV ,CH 4 and 5. HBO movie channel, 2 music channels, E4, More 4, Sky one, animal planet.
Food: anyone who had issues with food in this hotel must have stayed in a different hotel to me.
Right here we go, breakfast, eggs- boiled, fried or omlettes made freshly, turkish sausage, danish pastries, croissants,beans, toast, turkish breakfast, fresh melon, apples, peaches, at least 8 different cereals, numerous fresh juices including, peach, pineapple, cherry, and orange. Tea and coffee. served from 7 - 10 and a limited buffet 10 -11.

Lunch, plain chicken, plain tuna, pizza, burger, meat balls, chicken nuggets, potato wedges, chips, grilled fish, shepherds pie, plain rice, pilau rice, eggs, all kinds of salads, beetroot, pickled cabbage, lovely juicy tomatoes, various cheeses, soups including noodle, tomato, chicken etc etc theres more but i cant think.

Dinner: Lamb dishes, indian dishes, peking duck, roast chicken, chinese dishes, lamb hot pot, chicken hot pot, fresh whole salmon, ice creams strawberry, chocolate and vanilla, macaroni cheese, hot and cold pastas, soups, lasagne, again there was more stuff, i just cant remember them all.

The food was not repetitive, what was repetivie was the routine of going to the same restuarant in the hotel for breakfast, lunch and dinner. so we ate out a couple of nights in icmeler (the broadway) fabulous food.

So much choice of food even my husband and mother in law ate there every day, and they are really really fussy!! Chefs work hard. Food some times luke warm, but guess why... guests leaving the covers off the hot food. Take your food and put the covers back on , this will solve the problem of the luke warm beans.

Rooms: Mother in law was moved after the first day as their room was not good - corner room with glass partition...not good. Tiny balcony and not very private...avoid if you can.
Our room was fab...sea view although the wasteland in the front of the hotel spoiled the view, plus the loud noises from the Cuba bar on a Friday night(salsa dancing) and Saturday night Karaoke which goes on way too late afer 1.30am. The rest of the week is quiet. If you dont like this... dont get seaview room. Wardrobe space brilliant, double wardrobe, just a tip, bring all your clothes already on hangers, take them out of your suitcase and hang them up ...all done!!
Some rooms have little storage space and these are the double rooms not twin.

AIR CON .... this seriously let the hotel down, the whole hotel was like a green house, the atrium, the restuarant, was roasting hot in 32 - 40 degree heat. even when it was working it was not very cold at all. Our room air con was very poor as well and luckily we had two cards and left one in to keep the room cool when we were out, but even then it wasnt freezing. When you open the patio in your room the air con goes off, and then takes about ten seconds to kick in again when you close the patio door. The air con was a major let down for me, it needs to work efficiently. My mother in law said the air con in her room was cold though, so i dont know why it wasnt like that everywhere.

THE TOWEL SERVICE.. oh dear . I went for pool towels in the afternoon and was told by the young boy ... sorry its finished... erm ok. Went to reception and complained , towels where then brought over from the platinum, I waited 15 minutes for them.
Same happened to the father in law, he went to reception and again towels had to be brought over from the Platinum.
Also returning the towels ...never any one there at the desk, had to go to reception again and so did a few people waitng with me. The towel guy was over in the platinum... again just a small thing that should be addressed.
Pool area is lovely but some of the music the animation team played was awful!! There were plenty of pool loungers and plenty of space around the pool.

Room cleanliness. The reviews are correct about this. Not cleaned everday but tidyed. For example beds straightened, bins emptied, ashtrays cleaned, clean towels replaced daily, no brushing or mopping daily or cleaning mirrors or bedside tables etc. These things were cleaned in our room weekly. You can hear the toilets being flushed in the next room and you can hear peope getting showers!!

Overall thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would stay again but I think once the merge of both hotels takes place the cost to stay here mnay increase.... I hope it doesnt as I do love Blue Bay

Room Tip: Dont stay in seaview rooms if you like quiet, the cuba bar is right in front of all seaview rooms a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family