“Don't expect much”
Review of Central Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Entebbe
Central Inn
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is the average mid (but lower-mid) level Ugandan hotel. It all really depends on your needs and perspective. I consider it "poor" for my needs, but that's unfair, because its pretty standard, so "average" is justified.

Its just a few kilometers from Entebbe (EBB) airport so I think many of the guests are one-night guests in or out of the airport. The road from Kampala to the airport can have insane traffic delays (no traffic = 45min to 1 hour, with traffic = expect 2-3 hours SERIOUSLY, I almost missed a flight once even though I left Kampala 4 hours before my flight). Also, Uganda Ministries/etc. host meetings here regularly.

I wouldn't want to stay here for more than 1-2 nights (I was here two nights for a conference). And honestly I wouldn't really want to stay here again period. But I travel for business and have become accustomed to a higher standard of hotel. Being in a hotel for 1-3 weeks at a time changes your perspective on what's non-negotiable.

Room is basic, but clean enough. No bugs that I encountered. Double bed (not super comfortable, but the sheets were clean enough), mosquito net, floor stand fan, small desk, TV. The internet doesn't work very well in the rooms (signal quite weak). But it works decently in the lobby, outdoor restaurant, and meeting room.

The room bathroom is tiny -- the shower requires leaving the curtain open (unless you want it stuck to you). The water pressure is terrible. The hot water, well I didn't have any, but there is a tank. Though in fairness at the end of the day in Uganda a cool shower isn't such a bad thing.
My first night the water didn't seem to work at all though in my room. I couldn't shower. The toilet doesn't always flush either. Clearly a water pressure issue.

My room was on the third (top) floor overlooking the hotel entrance/parking lot/restaurant. No problems with noise though.

I don't recommend sending out laundry. I saw a man having a small fit about his airline uniform not being ready and feared missing. His shirts were returned to him but not well pressed.

The food is typical Uganda. Breakfast included -- typical: bananas, sliced pineapple, super sugary orange juice, instant coffee, baked beans, fried potato slices with onion and green pepper, bread, boiled eggs, and either liver, chicken gizzards, or some other question type of meat. The restaurant food, again, typical. I'm cautious so I always go with fries and a Coke. But the listings was same as I see in other similar hotels.

This is not a business traveler hotel. I would not be happy here for more than 1-2 nights. But for people in/out for missionary type travel, or small NGO travelers, night before your flight stays, its not terrible.

Don't expect much by way of service. Any complaints (like "hi my water doesn't work") is met with a fairly blank stare and "ok" and then grudgingly, "we'll send someone to look."

For the comments on feeling like a thief because the hotel name is stamped/etched on everything -- that's just Uganda. Same thing at all lower-mid level hotels. Also many offices do this too here. Its just what's done.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JMP1123

Reviewed 24 September 2012

On two trips to Uganda, my partner and I stayed at this modest but excellent Ugandan hotel. To drive the Entebbe road into Kampala at night is very dangerous and not advised until the morning and as many flights arrive at night, a hotel is advised. This small hotel has a nice bar and outside restraunt and the rooms are clean and in Ugandan standards, very good. A good bathroom and clean fairly comfortable beds are standard and the security seems good. We thoroughly enjoyed the friendly service and smiling faces at this Inn in the late night hours and early morning too. This hotel is a good introduction to Ugandan friendliness and food and drink and so very close to the airport that is so important at night time. The cost was around 50.00 for two, perhaps including breakfast also which is very good.

Room Tip: Not sure about the best room but ask for the best room and tip the person who gives it to you. They...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 2mzungus
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have mixed feelings about recommending Central Inn to anyone coming to Entebbe on business. I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights, before being rudely told by the receptionist, whilst waiting on a transportation to head to the office, that I needed to check-out now since she told me via email that the hotel was fully booked from today onwards. Now, in the first instance, I have not any email contact with the hotel, so I am not sure what communication she speaks of who, or which guest she assumed I was. Secondly, when I called the hotel to make my reservation and was never told that I needed to check out on a particular, since I explained to them my stay maybe longer. This therefore resulted in me being having to scramble to check-out of the hotel, and then trying to arrange for other accommodation. I found this to be the most inopportune time to have this kind of discussion with me. Not to mention, it made me late as a result.

The water pressure and water temperature can very inconsistent and depends on the time of the day you decide to take a shower. You're best bet is to try to be one of the first guest to take a shower in the morning and then on evenings be the last one. This way you are guaranteed to have warm water and benefit from very good water pressure. I also found it very weird that rubber slippers remained in my bathroom for the entire duration of my staff for some unknown reason. The bathroom is also very small, and your shower, even if you are a small person can be most uncomfortable.

One of the most important things for a business traveller is internet. Well, at Central Inn, there is only one location where you can get pretty good internet on the compound. That is, by the restaurant. The bar is okay, and the food is average. I've found more tastier and wider options outside of the hotel.

They also made by feel like I was a potential criminal when I asked for an iron. I was informed that this was prohibited. At another hotel, I was allowed to use the iron and return when I'm finished. This I could live with, but to tell me that it is prohibited, Im not so happy about.

The breakfast spread is okay, but after a while, you will become very bored of it as it standard.

Overall, if you are just looking for somewhere to stay that is inexpensive, but not necessarily the most comfortable then Central Inn is your place. Sunset Motel which is not too far from there has come highly recommended and you can enjoy internet in your room. If price isn't a factor for you, then I recommend Lake Victoria Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Felicityjana
Reviewed 27 August 2012

A decent place with very friendly staff. Well located in a quiet place but close to the UN HQ and the shopping center. An generally good breakfast spread. Rooms are neat, bathrooms not as good. Sometimes hot water is not available, but they changed rooms on request. Top floor rooms are better. Bar is good food is also OK. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank IndiaWanderlust
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I found Central Inn to have acceptable standards, and the staff friendly enough. For $45, I booked a decent sized room with a bath, 2 single beds with mosquito net, a tv, a fan, and a chair and small table. The bathroom had the standard amenities, although I found it strange that the bathroom window opened to the main hallway. The bathroom switch was also on the wall facing the beds (which to a while to figure out).

A 500-ml-sized distilled water was provided every night for free. Internet was available without charge in the hotel lobby, the restaurant, and the bar which was situated in front of the main structure. The internet connection was on and off; and not strong enough to support Skype. I am not sure if the paid internet option in the room is any better since I didn’t try it. The generator is switched on immediately when the power goes out, except when this happens in the wee hours of the morning- then there is some delay.

Breakfast was included and consisted of coffee/tea, juice, fruit, bread, and either French or Spanish omelette. Do not expect brewed coffee: they provide a pot of hot water and you make your own instant coffee. The bar serves drinks as well as food items from the menu. I preferred staying there over the restaurant because it seemed more private.

Central Inn provides free shuttle service to the UN base in the mornings (but no pick-ups). Before taking breakfast, just coordinate with reception regarding the time. A schedule between 8:00 – 8:30 am usually poses no problems.

I found the hotel to be good value for money. Just be mindful of your valuable personal items, and keep them locked away, or with you at all times. I had a good experience and would not mind going back there.

Room Tip: I had a room with windows overlooking the garden/patio dinng area. While this faced the street, if y...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank ATrenas
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as it was the starting point of our tour, otherwise we would definitely not have done so. Although the room size was reasonable we were made to feel like potential criminals by the way the name of the place was stamped / etched on everything in the room. The pillowcases were too small for the grubby looking pillows, with seams partially undone. The bathroom look old and tired with several permanent marks on the bath, not encouraging use. The door kept sticking and my husband twice was unable to open the door from the inside and I had to put my shoulder into it to open it for him.

We and a fellow traveller ordered a club sandwich each - we had to wait more than 45 minutes for them, they were the worst we'd ever had. Breakfast consisted of toast and baked beans or jam and a little fruit.

Electricity went off at 3 a.m. so no fan, if you were lucky enough to have one. It came on again some time after 7, but other hotels managed fine.

Room Tip: Don't go there, there are better places for the same price
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ineketom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed one night in the Central Inn after arriving in Entebbe. It is a short drive from the airport and has basic, but clean and spacious rooms, and friendly staff. It seems to be predominately used by business people. We ate supper and breakfast (included) there and thought the food and service were fine. They also rent bicycles and it is a short (10-15 min) ride to the zoo and botanical gardens. I'd have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple