“Find another hotel in Entebbe!”
Review of Central Inn

Central Inn
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed at the Central Inn for two nights. The first night was so horrible that we tried to leave before the second night. Unfortunately, management demanded the full cost for the night, even though we wouldn't be staying there, making that choice financially unsound (truth be told it was so bad, we were still tempted). The rooms/bathrooms at Central Inn are old and outdated. The carpet probably hasn't been changed since the hotel was built, lake flies all over the room and hallways, and holes in the mosquito nets. The breakfast buffet was decent but be aware that the meats being served can sometimes be unconventional for international guests (livers). The reception staff though were the worst. When we told them we were unhappy with the room the receptionist unleashed a very snotty and condescending attitude. We walked up the street to the Sunset Entebbe Hotel to see what the rooms were like there when contemplating switching hotels, and it was a world of a difference! Friendly staff, beautiful landscaping, clean and updated rooms and bathrooms. My honest suggestion is to take your business to Sunset Entebbe or another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank una60898

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The room was pretty good by Uganda standards, not too noisy. The food in the restaurant was okay, but took a long time in the kitchen. The restaurant manager tried to short change us on the exchange rate. The cab service and airport shuttle service were excellent. We got an all-afternoon cab (6 hours) to take us to Kampala for money, exchange, shopping in African Village, lunch, and back to Entebbe for $50.

Room Tip: Watch out that they don't book you for Central Inn and then put you up in another, nearby hotel...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This is my 4th. visit to this hotel for one night on the way to Kampala. This a very basic hotel but quite adequate for a couple of nights. It was busy the night we stayed. The phone rang a bit early to remind us about breakfast but we would have been very hungry had they not called three times. Make sure you ask for twin bed room if there are two travelling as their one bed room means a double which is usually too small for comfort in our world. Considering this is a third world country, they do a pretty good job in serving you. We have never had to complain about our room ie. location or condition, but if you did, it would help to offer a few dollars with your request. We had cold water showers b4 bed at about midnight..we were not surprised and only a little cold as it was hot outside. WE requested a pick up at the airport and the man arrived at least 1/2 hr. late and did not speak or understand much english. The bar was open thank-fully so we could have a local gin and tonic drink but no ice..did not matter after 24hrs. plus of travel..helped us sleep.. make sure you ask for lots of bottled water as they only supplied one small one for two people in the room. We were dehydrated and needed a large bottle each for night and the morning with teeth brushing and drinking. The breakfast is just okay and be sure to ask for top ups as they do not like to refill items especially at the end of the breakfast time..We enjoyed the fresh fruits which should be at least 3. The Ugandan tea is terrrific..cannot comment on the coffee served there...again ask for lots of water. The bar and outside garden was nice to sit and wait for our ride from Kampala but take your deet repellent as there were small flies or no seeums over the grass and in the trees that bit. I had to move off the lawn near the bar to avoid them..The maid was extremely diligent as I had left my passport and a small purse in the hotel room and she ran down to the garden to give it to me..I tipped her extremely well to show my gratitude. They earn very little in wages and their living costs are very high in relation to their wages. Would stay there again as I am sure anything better would have been twice the cost.

Room Tip: Verify whether you have a one or two bed room as the one is a double bed only. Also check to see if...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2mzungus
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

Not bad when you need a simple place to stay on business. Room was clean with a fan, mosquito net, small fridge and TV and en suite bathroom with a bath only. Don't expect any views.

They try hard and are friendly and there's free (slow) wireless internet. That all counts a lot for me on business. Better value for money than Kampala.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Josh801
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is the average mid (but lower-mid) level Ugandan hotel. It all really depends on your needs and perspective. I consider it "poor" for my needs, but that's unfair, because its pretty standard, so "average" is justified.

Its just a few kilometers from Entebbe (EBB) airport so I think many of the guests are one-night guests in or out of the airport. The road from Kampala to the airport can have insane traffic delays (no traffic = 45min to 1 hour, with traffic = expect 2-3 hours SERIOUSLY, I almost missed a flight once even though I left Kampala 4 hours before my flight). Also, Uganda Ministries/etc. host meetings here regularly.

I wouldn't want to stay here for more than 1-2 nights (I was here two nights for a conference). And honestly I wouldn't really want to stay here again period. But I travel for business and have become accustomed to a higher standard of hotel. Being in a hotel for 1-3 weeks at a time changes your perspective on what's non-negotiable.

Room is basic, but clean enough. No bugs that I encountered. Double bed (not super comfortable, but the sheets were clean enough), mosquito net, floor stand fan, small desk, TV. The internet doesn't work very well in the rooms (signal quite weak). But it works decently in the lobby, outdoor restaurant, and meeting room.

The room bathroom is tiny -- the shower requires leaving the curtain open (unless you want it stuck to you). The water pressure is terrible. The hot water, well I didn't have any, but there is a tank. Though in fairness at the end of the day in Uganda a cool shower isn't such a bad thing.
My first night the water didn't seem to work at all though in my room. I couldn't shower. The toilet doesn't always flush either. Clearly a water pressure issue.

My room was on the third (top) floor overlooking the hotel entrance/parking lot/restaurant. No problems with noise though.

I don't recommend sending out laundry. I saw a man having a small fit about his airline uniform not being ready and feared missing. His shirts were returned to him but not well pressed.

The food is typical Uganda. Breakfast included -- typical: bananas, sliced pineapple, super sugary orange juice, instant coffee, baked beans, fried potato slices with onion and green pepper, bread, boiled eggs, and either liver, chicken gizzards, or some other question type of meat. The restaurant food, again, typical. I'm cautious so I always go with fries and a Coke. But the listings was same as I see in other similar hotels.

This is not a business traveler hotel. I would not be happy here for more than 1-2 nights. But for people in/out for missionary type travel, or small NGO travelers, night before your flight stays, its not terrible.

Don't expect much by way of service. Any complaints (like "hi my water doesn't work") is met with a fairly blank stare and "ok" and then grudgingly, "we'll send someone to look."

For the comments on feeling like a thief because the hotel name is stamped/etched on everything -- that's just Uganda. Same thing at all lower-mid level hotels. Also many offices do this too here. Its just what's done.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JMP1123
Reviewed 24 September 2012

On two trips to Uganda, my partner and I stayed at this modest but excellent Ugandan hotel. To drive the Entebbe road into Kampala at night is very dangerous and not advised until the morning and as many flights arrive at night, a hotel is advised. This small hotel has a nice bar and outside restraunt and the rooms are clean and in Ugandan standards, very good. A good bathroom and clean fairly comfortable beds are standard and the security seems good. We thoroughly enjoyed the friendly service and smiling faces at this Inn in the late night hours and early morning too. This hotel is a good introduction to Ugandan friendliness and food and drink and so very close to the airport that is so important at night time. The cost was around 50.00 for two, perhaps including breakfast also which is very good.

Room Tip: Not sure about the best room but ask for the best room and tip the person who gives it to you. They...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 2mzungus
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have mixed feelings about recommending Central Inn to anyone coming to Entebbe on business. I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights, before being rudely told by the receptionist, whilst waiting on a transportation to head to the office, that I needed to check-out now since she told me via email that the hotel was fully booked from today onwards. Now, in the first instance, I have not any email contact with the hotel, so I am not sure what communication she speaks of who, or which guest she assumed I was. Secondly, when I called the hotel to make my reservation and was never told that I needed to check out on a particular, since I explained to them my stay maybe longer. This therefore resulted in me being having to scramble to check-out of the hotel, and then trying to arrange for other accommodation. I found this to be the most inopportune time to have this kind of discussion with me. Not to mention, it made me late as a result.

The water pressure and water temperature can very inconsistent and depends on the time of the day you decide to take a shower. You're best bet is to try to be one of the first guest to take a shower in the morning and then on evenings be the last one. This way you are guaranteed to have warm water and benefit from very good water pressure. I also found it very weird that rubber slippers remained in my bathroom for the entire duration of my staff for some unknown reason. The bathroom is also very small, and your shower, even if you are a small person can be most uncomfortable.

One of the most important things for a business traveller is internet. Well, at Central Inn, there is only one location where you can get pretty good internet on the compound. That is, by the restaurant. The bar is okay, and the food is average. I've found more tastier and wider options outside of the hotel.

They also made by feel like I was a potential criminal when I asked for an iron. I was informed that this was prohibited. At another hotel, I was allowed to use the iron and return when I'm finished. This I could live with, but to tell me that it is prohibited, Im not so happy about.

The breakfast spread is okay, but after a while, you will become very bored of it as it standard.

Overall, if you are just looking for somewhere to stay that is inexpensive, but not necessarily the most comfortable then Central Inn is your place. Sunset Motel which is not too far from there has come highly recommended and you can enjoy internet in your room. If price isn't a factor for you, then I recommend Lake Victoria Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business