“Looks are Definitely Deceiving”

Imperial Golf View Hotel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Dartmouth, Canada
“Looks are Definitely Deceiving”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

At first this hotel seems OK. It's clean, just a few ants, and the AC in the room works but don't be fooled. Let's start at the beginning. I booked through Expedia.ca and sent my confirmation to the hotel. I got an e-mail back saying that yes everything was confirmed. It even came on what appeared to be hotel letterhead. That's when things got weird. When I arrived I was told that I had booked with an outside booking agency (not expedia). The hotel said not to worry that they would sort it out. Unfortunately, the day before I left I find out my Credit Card was charged $300 by this "outside agency". The story the hotel tells me is that they "used to" use this travel agency (International Vacations (IV) out of Tx) but that they stopped. Unfortunately the e-links to this company still exist as they not only sent me a confirmation, they used the Expedia Confirmation Code and hotel letterhead. The hotel refused to fix the problem and said it was my mistake and I would have to sort this out with the travel agency. They appeared sympathetic but again, refused to fix the mistake. BE CAREFUL if you use this hotel. The scam is that you will get an e-mail from IV asking for information. They are linked to the hotel but both the hotel and IV will refuse to acknowledge that linkage and blame you. The manager claimed he sent me an e-mail but I never received it and that is when I got the IV e-mail instead. I have contacted Visa and Expedia to try and fix this but the hotel hierarchy should have put their big boy pants on and acknowledged their mistake.
Now for the rest (it doesn't get better). They charge you $10 USD per day for mediocre inter-net. The food is abysmal. Breakfast is included but only if you want to eat fish or beef liver for breakfast. They put out a couple of yogurts each morning and then refuse to re-stock saying they're out. Lunch and dinner are even worse. The final kicker was when I checked out and asked what time the shuttle to the airport was. They told me that would be an additional $15.00 fee even though a cab is only $10. So much for customer service.
My advise is stay far, FAR away from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank wwkirchner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

I happened to stay in the hotel for two days and I was pleased with the staff customer care(which is bad in most hotels).

The food was great and atleast I would get informed that the restaurant is open to serving guests.

I happened to be booked in a big room without a balcony which was clean but was disappointed about thr size of the beds which were rather small yet I had booked a double bed room. Unfortunately, they could not allocate me another room to my liking which was disappointing.

IF YOU WANT SPACE, YOU PLAN TO SHARE A ROOM WITH ANOTHER PERSON, A ROOM WITHOUT A BALCONY IS THE BEST BECAUSE THE LATTER IS TOO SMALL FOR TWO PEOPLE TO SHARE.

The cleanliness in the health club at the sister hotel IMPERIAL BOTANICAL BEACH HOTEL was rather poor especially the sauna and steam bath section.dirty water from the clogged shower rooms was flowing all over the place!!!

Hope management sorts out these issues.

• Stayed April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed one night before flying to Northern Uganda. Very close to the Airport, so just a short taxi ride. Nice lobby with Wi-Fi. Adequate meeting area and courteous staff. No mosquito nets but no mosquito's noticed. March is season for Lake Flies -- small gnats, with thousands in the room. They don't bite, so are just a nuisance. Breakfast is very good and provided with room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Manila
Reviewed 20 March 2013

There are cheaper hotels available in Entebbe, but I decided to stay at GolfView because I wanted to pamper myself a bit. The hotel has aircondition in the rooms, and has a generator that immediately works during a power outage, has more food and TV channel choices. At US$85/night, I thought it was worth it.

Golfview Hotel has a resort feel, resulting from the choice of furniture and materials. There are about 70 rooms, all priced the same: you can choose if you want a room with a terrace, or a much bigger room without a terrace. The room I stayed in (222) had a queen-sized bed, a mini refrigerator, TV (not flat screen). The bathroom is of decent size and was clean. I noticed that some of the hotels here in Entebbe have their bathroom window facing the hallway. I assume this is to optimize the view of the garden by situating window or terrace there. A bottle of mineral water is supplied by the hotel everyday. Wifi Internet is available ofr US$4/hour, or US$10/day.

Buffet breakfast from 6-10am is included in the room rate. Aside from the usual assortment of bread, eggs, jam and butter, sausage, and hot dishes are featured like chicken, beef, and fish. Cereals and fruits are also available, rounding out the choices. In the evenings, Golfview also has buffet dinner for Ugandan Schillings 35,500 (approx $13). If you are a big eater, this presents a good deal compared to the price of an ala carte main dish averaging Ugandan Schillings 22,000. If you would like to vegetate in your room, there are several items available for room service, with a surcharge of Uschillings5,000 ($2). The dining option within the hotel is lacking in ambience; and only African and local beers are available. If you want a change in environment, you can walk several meters to the outdoor bar within the Golfview compound. This place offers a wider list of drinks that are more familiar, food items, and some music (not live!).

The UN shuttle picks up guests from this hotel between 8-8:30 am, and drops them off after 5:30 pm. Imperial Hotels owns 3 properties in Entebbe. Employees describe Golfview as the 3-star hotel, while the other 2 are 4-5 stars, and therefore more expensive.

Room Tip: For the same rate you get to choose between a room with a terrace or a bigger room without one. The...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ATrenas
Kinshasa
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I have been in Golf View Hotel in Entebbe first in 2009 and last in 2012 and noticed that the same room I got the first time tripled the price in 2012. 140 $ a night insted of 50 $ I paid the first time as I stayed for 10 days.. The place is very quite and clean. Around 6 kilometers from Entebbe international airport and not far from the main road. Staff were very helpful in everything. The food was O.K.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John K
London
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I stayed in Nov 2013 on a workshop. Whilst the place is beautiful and the rooms are clean, their customer service was appalling and I was not impressed. First, a visitor who came to pick their stuff from my hotel could not be allowed in since they were not a guest. That was at 10am! Second, the Internet voucher system worked but with disappointments. They charged for them but if you got the free ones you would need to keep them in your pocket since connection was not consistent and they made sure your laptop or phone does not remember your password. Finally though my workplace had committed paying for 7nights, I needed a one night break to sleep in Kampala and use my last night sleep to easily go to the airport. The accountant was adamantly inflexible and I ended up paying for the 6 nights and they lost $140. He did not seem to bother and reflected the bureaucracy of the place. I would not go back there except if my company forces me to.

• Stayed November 2012

Travellers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 1 February 2013

this hotel has enough space for even big parties like receptions etc
we had great fun with my family since we had enough space for eating and the kids were able to play their small games after eating that is chasing one another, it was really interesting.
it is near to the zoo, you do not need to ride because you easily just walk

Room Tip: higher floors gives you a nice view through the window
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family