“A very good transit”

Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Nandi
“A very good transit”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently had an overnight transit in Entebbe between flights.
I had booked a room at the Imperial Golf View Hotel with no real sense of standard or services.
In response to my on-line booking I received an email from the Front Office Manager which very positively responded to my needs. we exchanged several emails and his response was always timely and positive. He arranged a transfer vehicle to meet me at the airport and return me to my flight the next day. The fee was direct to the driver of 15USD each way.

My flight was a very late arrival from London and the driver was waiting, and displaying my name on a card. The driver assisted with my baggage and was most helpful. The car was in good condition and safe.

On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted by the front office manager (despite the late hour) and shown to my room. The room was basic but very clean and the bed comfortable. Cable TV was in the room but a limited service. The bathroom was again basic but in good order and very functional. The hotel compound was very secure and there were both night staff and night security on site. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I slept well until early construction noise the following morning. It was not possible to sleep late.

Breakfast was included in the room tariff and the selection was good. Even for fussy eaters there was plenty of choice and welcome service.

As arranged the previous night, my transfer driver returned and I was delivered back to my outgoing flight in good order.

It was a very good hotel for what I needed.

Imperial Golf View Hotel.
Plot 7, Station Road, PO Box 553 or 90, Entebbe, Uganda
Landline:+ 256 414 322 062 Extn.: 508, Fax: + 256 414 322 083.
Mobile Phone: + 256 753 426 065 and + 256 774 426 065
Email: fomanager@igvh.co.ug
www.imperialhotels.co.ug

Room Tip: Not sure about options on room locations. There appeared to be a lot of choice but I would discuss b...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NandiSkipper
imperialhotelsUG, Public Relations Manager at Imperial Golf View Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2015
Dear NandiSkipper,

Thank you very much for sharing your amazing review of our property, your remarks are very valuable.
Management will be sure to share the same with the entire team for we believe that it is such feedback that keeps them very motivated and encouraged.
we truly apologize for the construction noise but that was because the hotel was undergoing renovation and construction of the new wing.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you again in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kampala
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Good place especially the new wing which looks better. The removal of the bar in the neigbourhood (Akamasu) means it is quiet (It used to be quite noisy). It is quit specious and attractive. However the parking seems small for conferences and big groups.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing are better
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Iris1992
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week recently for a conference. Best thing about it is the staff, all of whom were unfailingly charming, polite, and helpful. Their good humor was especially appreciated as they obviously struggle with a lack of basic supplies and not very sophisticated training. These are the things to know to make the stay more comfortable. Do not accept the small, poky rooms on the restaurant side. Rooms on the newer side are much larger, cleaner, more comfortable in every way. Be patient with staff; it often takes them a long time to find extra supplies, hangers, water, etc. This is not their fault, and they try hard. There is a small shop on the road just outside the hotel; if you buy a few large bottles of mineral water and soft drinks and keep them in your room frig, it will avoid frustration. Pressing of clothes is safe and things are returned quickly. Laundry system is not so efficient. A few small things were lost, and several items of other guests were returned to us by mistake. Wifi works, though slowly, in the lobby and restaurant, but hardly at all in the rooms. The small crafts shop down the road (toward the lake, name something like "Sapna Crafts") does not look very promising, but actually has some lovely and not over-priced things. Overall a comfortable place to stay, as long as you stay relaxed and are not in a hurry.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the newer section, not one of the older, small ones on the restaurant side.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2013

At first this hotel seems OK. It's clean, just a few ants, and the AC in the room works but don't be fooled. Let's start at the beginning. I booked through Expedia.ca and sent my confirmation to the hotel. I got an e-mail back saying that yes everything was confirmed. It even came on what appeared to be hotel letterhead. That's when things got weird. When I arrived I was told that I had booked with an outside booking agency (not expedia). The hotel said not to worry that they would sort it out. Unfortunately, the day before I left I find out my Credit Card was charged $300 by this "outside agency". The story the hotel tells me is that they "used to" use this travel agency (International Vacations (IV) out of Tx) but that they stopped. Unfortunately the e-links to this company still exist as they not only sent me a confirmation, they used the Expedia Confirmation Code and hotel letterhead. The hotel refused to fix the problem and said it was my mistake and I would have to sort this out with the travel agency. They appeared sympathetic but again, refused to fix the mistake. BE CAREFUL if you use this hotel. The scam is that you will get an e-mail from IV asking for information. They are linked to the hotel but both the hotel and IV will refuse to acknowledge that linkage and blame you. The manager claimed he sent me an e-mail but I never received it and that is when I got the IV e-mail instead. I have contacted Visa and Expedia to try and fix this but the hotel hierarchy should have put their big boy pants on and acknowledged their mistake.
Now for the rest (it doesn't get better). They charge you $10 USD per day for mediocre inter-net. The food is abysmal. Breakfast is included but only if you want to eat fish or beef liver for breakfast. They put out a couple of yogurts each morning and then refuse to re-stock saying they're out. Lunch and dinner are even worse. The final kicker was when I checked out and asked what time the shuttle to the airport was. They told me that would be an additional $15.00 fee even though a cab is only $10. So much for customer service.
My advise is stay far, FAR away from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank wwkirchner

Travellers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

I happened to stay in the hotel for two days and I was pleased with the staff customer care(which is bad in most hotels).

The food was great and atleast I would get informed that the restaurant is open to serving guests.

I happened to be booked in a big room without a balcony which was clean but was disappointed about thr size of the beds which were rather small yet I had booked a double bed room. Unfortunately, they could not allocate me another room to my liking which was disappointing.

IF YOU WANT SPACE, YOU PLAN TO SHARE A ROOM WITH ANOTHER PERSON, A ROOM WITHOUT A BALCONY IS THE BEST BECAUSE THE LATTER IS TOO SMALL FOR TWO PEOPLE TO SHARE.

The cleanliness in the health club at the sister hotel IMPERIAL BOTANICAL BEACH HOTEL was rather poor especially the sauna and steam bath section.dirty water from the clogged shower rooms was flowing all over the place!!!

Hope management sorts out these issues.

• Stayed April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed one night before flying to Northern Uganda. Very close to the Airport, so just a short taxi ride. Nice lobby with Wi-Fi. Adequate meeting area and courteous staff. No mosquito nets but no mosquito's noticed. March is season for Lake Flies -- small gnats, with thousands in the room. They don't bite, so are just a nuisance. Breakfast is very good and provided with room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Manila
Reviewed 20 March 2013

There are cheaper hotels available in Entebbe, but I decided to stay at GolfView because I wanted to pamper myself a bit. The hotel has aircondition in the rooms, and has a generator that immediately works during a power outage, has more food and TV channel choices. At US$85/night, I thought it was worth it.

Golfview Hotel has a resort feel, resulting from the choice of furniture and materials. There are about 70 rooms, all priced the same: you can choose if you want a room with a terrace, or a much bigger room without a terrace. The room I stayed in (222) had a queen-sized bed, a mini refrigerator, TV (not flat screen). The bathroom is of decent size and was clean. I noticed that some of the hotels here in Entebbe have their bathroom window facing the hallway. I assume this is to optimize the view of the garden by situating window or terrace there. A bottle of mineral water is supplied by the hotel everyday. Wifi Internet is available ofr US$4/hour, or US$10/day.

Buffet breakfast from 6-10am is included in the room rate. Aside from the usual assortment of bread, eggs, jam and butter, sausage, and hot dishes are featured like chicken, beef, and fish. Cereals and fruits are also available, rounding out the choices. In the evenings, Golfview also has buffet dinner for Ugandan Schillings 35,500 (approx $13). If you are a big eater, this presents a good deal compared to the price of an ala carte main dish averaging Ugandan Schillings 22,000. If you would like to vegetate in your room, there are several items available for room service, with a surcharge of Uschillings5,000 ($2). The dining option within the hotel is lacking in ambience; and only African and local beers are available. If you want a change in environment, you can walk several meters to the outdoor bar within the Golfview compound. This place offers a wider list of drinks that are more familiar, food items, and some music (not live!).

The UN shuttle picks up guests from this hotel between 8-8:30 am, and drops them off after 5:30 pm. Imperial Hotels owns 3 properties in Entebbe. Employees describe Golfview as the 3-star hotel, while the other 2 are 4-5 stars, and therefore more expensive.

Room Tip: For the same rate you get to choose between a room with a terrace or a bigger room without one. The...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business