“Protea Hotel, Entebbe - a good option”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Maputo, Mozambique
“Protea Hotel, Entebbe - a good option”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The Protea Hotel in Entebbe is a very good option to avoid the horendous peak hour traffic between the airport and Kampala. The perfect spot for an early evening arrival or early morning departure from Entebbe.

Friendly helpful staff and a quiet peaceful environment.

Clean, comfortable room, extra length bed and firm mattress making for a good nights sleep.
Aircon worked well too.

A good option

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Dave P
Cymon C, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear Dave P,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the review of the Protea Hotel Entebbe on TripAdvisor. I look forward to meeting you during your next visit to Entebbe, Uganda.
Kind regards
Cymon Charnley
cymon@proteaebb.co.ug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I am staying here for 5 days. The hotel is new. That's it. And it is very quiet.
Some of the people working there are less friendly. It seems that they do not know customer services. Lack of training?
I asked the reception to bring a bottle of water because I wanted to take pills to cure my painful stomach. Because it was not put in my room this day although the hotel served two bottles evreyday. The receptionist replied to me "Yes, right away". After 10 minutes, nothing happened. After all, I called four times in total. When I called them again and again, thier voices became arrogant. I became unfavorable guest. They brought water after one hour when I called at first. They did not appoligize to this disappointing response. They did not care for my health conditions. Even if they did not know about it, they must have come to me within 5 minutes or so. I was very sad.

When I returned to hotel after working, I was walking toward the windows of the garden, the worker told me to pay some if you take a rest in the garden and on the lake side....She must have asked me if I was a hotel guests or not. The guests here were free. Her attitude was like a security guard.

Hospitality to the guests is the single most important.
Unfortunately, the hotel was lacking hospitality while I was staying there at least.

The room is tidy and clean. The characters of the remote control of the air-condition are in Chinese. I don't undestand at all. And there is the electric sign for "Don't Disturb" on the wall next to the door of the room. But I do not know how to turn on and off in the room. It is very strange.

One day, water from the tap was red and brown in few hours. I accepted since I was in Uganda.

Internet is available for free in the room and the public space.
Many outlets in the room. It is good to work in the room.
The size of the desk in the room is ample to put a PC and a printer.
Over all, the fccilities are acceptable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gogospringboks
Cymon C, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear gogospringboks,
Thank you for your feedback received. If I make take this opportunity to apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you have detailed. Your feedback is most certainly not in keeping with what we strive to achieve at the Protea Hotel Entebbe. Points raised are most valid and through training with the TEAM, I am confident will be addressed. I look forwadr to meeting you during your next visit to Uganda. Kind regards, Cymon Charnley cymon@proteaebb.co.ug
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Nice new construction (ongoing inside) pay a bit more and get the lakemview hotel on second floor, spacious room, wind, nice bird, good food, nice place to be in entebbe!

Quiet, kind of place you will remember

Room Tip: Room 216!Balcony is awsome
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank nesao
Cymon C, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Nesao, Thank you for your feedback received. We look forward to comparing bird sitings during your next stay with us. Kind regards Cymon Charnley : cymon@proteaebb.co.ug
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I much prefer the Kampala Serena Hotel however we had a 5am flight so stayed at the Protea Hotel. It was quiet, clean and comfortable however the check in took forever although the staff was nice then the room key did not work, took them a few times before they got us one that unlocked the room. They do not have a business center to print boarding passes, etc. so they let us utilize the office. The check out in the morning took quite a bit of time that we did not have because they did not show the travel agent had already paid for the room. It is a great location and nice yet too many things not "right" that made it just average.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Cymon C, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Mi-Dan20,
Thank you for your feedback received. At the Protea Hotel Entebbe we strive to exceed our GUESTexpectations. Your comments re the door key and the check-out speed are duly noted and will be focused on. I trust you will stay with us during your next trip and look forwards to meeting with you.
Kind regards
Cymon Charnley
cymon@proteaebb.co.ug
Johannesburg
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The Protea Hotel in Entebbe is a new hotel only in operation since February 2012. I stayed there a week during October 2012 and it was extremely quiet. It is not a popular destination for business men as it is quite a drive to Kampala and if youget stuck in traffic he ± 45km can take as long as 3 hours. Overall the hotel is very clean and tidy. Rooms as spacious and well decorated with everything one will need. The restaurant's menu is however a bit limited and everything is run on "african time". A taxi service is 24hours available if one decides to have dinne or drinks somewhere else.
Overall it was a good experience and I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the lake. The sunrise is quite spectacular.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Willem S
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I always stay at the Bougainviller Hotel in Kampala, but as Kampala is quite far away from Entebbe airport, and as my departure flight left pretty early, I decided to spend the last night of my recent business trip to Uganda at the Protea hotel right next to the airport as it would save me an hour of sleep.
It was supposed to be one hour time saving, but as the reception forgot about my wake-up call I got a bit more sleep than I bargained for. Luckily I have a sort of automatic wake-up function in my business traveler's mind, otherwise I would have missed my flight, thanks guys!
Aslo luckily I had done my check-in online already, was travelling with hand lugggage only and I was booked in business, as I don't know if the airline (the always friendly&flexible -NOT- South African Airways) would have accepted me otherwise.

Knowing Protea hotels from South Africa, where I'm based, I had a certain -positive- expectation which upon arrival was met. The receptionist was efficient, friendly and quick and all seemed well.

The room (nr 10, ground floor close to reception) was spacious and nicely decorated with coffee&tea facilities, safe, bath robe, slippers etc.

The bathroom was designed by Gargamel, or some other evil wizzard.
First of all it's one of those really poorly designed ones where you somehow have to manoeuvre yourself in, THEN close the door, before you can actually make it to the toilet. Clever thinking.
The wash bassin has very little space for toiletries, but anyway before you notice that you have already bumped your head into some stupidly placed towel rack which was designed for dwarfs (I hope I don't offend anyone, but if you're under 1m60 you'll be fine).
If you need a tissue while doing/undoing your make-up, there aren't any, so you'll have to close the bathroom door behind you again and go into the downward facing dog yoga position so you'll be able to reach the toilet roll holder behind the door, fab' architectural design!
The shower was a complet disaster, all I ask for is an acceptable level of water pressure and a more or less constant temperature, but neither of that seemed to be possible.
I tried everything.....but the shower head was leaking from all the wrong sides, and it became a mission to actually wash my hair.

The WiFi wasn't working (not my laptop being faulty, it worked everywhere including 20 minutes after leaving the hotel in the airport lounge) which was pretty annoying, and to top it all off -as mentioned at the beginning of this review- I would have missed my flight as they forgot about my wake-up call. For which the reception apologised, kind of them...but I wonder what they would have done if I would have actually missed my flight, would they have paid for the consequences??
Anyway, maybe I was just unlucky but I wasn't very impressed. Next time I'll just stay in my favourite hotel in Kampala and miss out on some sleep.

Room Tip: If you'd like to have a shower, stay away from room 10
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank FlyingGonzo_10
johannesburg
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel, mainly through knowing the Protea brand in South Africa as being fairly reliable.
The location is fantastic - right on the shores of Lake Victoria ( loungers on the beach 1 minute from the hotel building ) , and 2 minutes drive ( free airport shuttle at any time, day or night - very good ) from Entebbe airport.
Rooms are modern & all mod cons appear to work. There were frequent power cuts when i was there, which reset much of the room on each occassion, but nothing too problematic.
Food was reliable and good quality- breakfast buffet was a particular highlight. I thought the meal prices were pretty reasonable given the standard of the hotel & cooking.
Staff were very friendly and organised, i had no complaints about any of the service i received.
Hotel did appear to be almost empty for the whole ( 2 night ) stay, but that may be due to most of the guests being ( UN? ) pilots who were out at work for most of the time.
Strongly recommended for anyone with early /late departure times from the airport. 220usd for a deluze with balcony, so not crazy cheap, but worth it for the location.

Room Tip: i think it's worth shelling out the extra to get the balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo