“Nice rooms (from the new wing)”

Imperial Botanical Beach Hotel
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I have been twice in this hotel. The first time it was in August and now (October) for two nights both of them. The rooms from the new wing are nice, clean and the pillows are good enough compared to the pillows from other hotels in Uganda.
The food is always the same everyday. However prices are much higher than the service they provide. The price should include Internet, whose wifi only works in the lobby and restaurant. They can provide a cable, though.
Last time in August all the cardio machines from the gym and the lift were not working. This time at least I could use the running machine but the lift is still not working.
The infrastructure is quite old, specially the restaurant has an old design, only the new rooms have a nice design and are huge.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Imperial Botanical Beach Hotel

Reviewed 20 September 2012

Although I had seen early negative reviews, I had to stay there for a workshop. It turned out fine. The location and grounds are very nice, just next to the botanical gardens. My room was nicely furnished, comfortable and spotlessly clean, with a nice bathroom and flatscreen tv.
Our package included half board for $120 a night which I felt as reasonable. The food is good and plentiful, working one a buffet service basis. There is also a large indoor swimming pool, which seems very clean and a sauna, although I didn't try the latter. There are birds and monkeys in the hotel garden, which is a nice place for pre-dinner drinks!
I would stay there if I was sure to get a similar room.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms facing the inner courtyard are fine.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank hogan_bxl
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I did not find this place as horrible as others. I have stayed here before, not by choice, but convenience.

Pros: Rooms and bathrooms were clean, beds were comfortable, room was huge, quiet place, breakfast was fine. People were friendly with a smile.

Cons: Western prices, but not western service. There was no shampoo in the bathroom. The sinks were clogged.(not a problem for one night). If you pay by credit card, there is 5% charge. But if you decide to pay cash using Shillings you pay a hefty exchange rate which I think is extortion. I also don't get it, why would they want to knock on the door at 8:20 am to clean it while I am still recovering from jet lag? The attendant was surprised when I told him to come back later as check out is at 10 am. It took some convincing..

Would I stay here? Not by choice. If it were cheaper yes, but not at this hefty rates.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Trust me when I tell you, miss this hotel. It was my worst stay by far in this country. It started out with a mildew smell in my room, after a long check in and keys that didn't work 3 times. We were a group and asked if we could have a few extra hours for checkout. The manager Syed would not accommodate us at all. He seemed to have a big attitude. Dinner was awful, food was undedible, and service was ridiculously slow. Next morning after breakfast, I found my room stripped, and I hadn't even taken a shower yet. All the towels were gone, and my clothes that were on my bed were all messed up. Lunch was a big disaster as it took an hour to get a sandwich. Service was really lacking from front desk to restaurant. I guess it starts at the top. Trust me, miss this hotel as it is a total dump.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank maltravel
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This was a first visit to Entebbe...my goodness, anytime I get the chance to visit a country on the continent of Africa, I get excited. I had a great time. It's a country of hard/hard working people, who keep pressing on, even if the "system" doesn't appear to be in their favor. The hotel was so worn down...I am thankful that we had enough people traveling in that we were able to secure a better rate. With the condition of the hotel, they should offer a discount to all guests. The owner/s and those in charge on a day to day basis -- all I can say is "shame on them" for not offering better conditions for their staff to work in for guests to stay at. I see it as putting forth as little as possible to get as much as you can. The staff is resigned to not being able to make decisions to the extend that they are emotionless and docile, which of course harkens back to even harsher times. The reason that the rating isn't lower is because of the following staff, who were excellent: Alice Kalembe and Roseline Hassan. As well, the men who assisted with luggage and general deliveries. As well, the food isn't so good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stopped over for a morning coffee at the hotel while visiting Entebbe. The ambience is good and I liked the overall decor of the place. The breakfast was average and the service is okay. What I did like was the restaurant and the view. Would definitely explore staying over the place next time I am in Entebbe.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rinoo R
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Room was nice, gardens are nice (but worn down), that was about it.
Restaurant is shabby, overpriced, food is mediocre (to say the least), staff is not attentive, but arrogant
Reception personell is unfriendly
When they ordered us a cab to the airport, the cab driver - apparently in cooperation with the reception staff - charged a ridiculous fee (which we didn't pay)

Most expensive and worst night in Uganda

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple