“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Louisville, Kentucky
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

While the rooms could certainly use some updating, it was overall a very enjoyable stay. The grounds are great. The biggest complaint I had with the room itself was a clogged shower drain. I very much enjoyed the pool, patios, food, and the staff was very friendly. There was always bottled water waiting in the room and the location worked very well for us. I would stay here again, but I must admit it was the only place we stayed in Entebbe so I don't know what the rest of the city has to offer.

Room Tip: Courtyard view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the first and last nights of our Uganda tour as it is convenient for the airport.
Our rooms were average size with large, comfortable double beds. There were bedside tables, a wardrobe, a desk, flat screen tv, wi-fi and aircon. The rooms were clean and pleasantly decorated. The bathrooms were large, clean and modern. The TV had plenty of English language channels.
The second room had several lightbulbs missing, which reception promised to resolve while we ate dinner, but they were not replaced.
Breakfast was self service and had a good choice of hot and cold food. There was an 'egg chef' if you wanted freshly cooked eggs.
Dinner the first time took 90 minutes to get a main course. There were many items missing off the menu. When the food arrived, most of it was cold and not very tasty. On the second night, at the end of our tour, they did slightly better, but we would still not recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NorfolkNigel
Morgan Hill, CA
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Living in Kampala with not much to do, this hotel is a great day trip. The pool is one of the cleanest I have seen in Uganda. It is very large and has 3 platform dives, the highest is 9.2 meters. 10,000 UGS for adult swim, and 5,000 UGS for kids it's a very affordable family day out. Restaurant will serve you poolside for lunch. Have never stayed at the hotel, but we visit quite often for swimming and restaurant to and from airport.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2011

This hotel lies near the banks of lake Victoria, next to a large golf course. The hotel is clean, tranquil, has a fabulous pool and everything you could possibly want. Why travel all the way to Kampala if you can stay near the lake. There is free wifi throughout the hotel, which is an added advantage.

• Stayed January 2011
4 Thank Alexandercase
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Although recently refurbished still looks dated. Rooms are ok, but always seemed to have something not working, lightbulbs, internet connection, toilet, taps etc. Service really variable, some staff really friendly and go out of their way to help, others truly awful, very slow restaurant service. Expensive for what you get

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank suziirish

Travellers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

Michigan
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Read the bad reviews about the hotel and was pretty put off. Those old reviews are truly wrong. The hotel is clean and comfortable. Good TV, good internet and the food was quite good. Golf course next door. Pool was perfect. Gym a bit tired out but good enough.

I have stayed at hotels all over Africa, wish they were as good as the Lake Victoria.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank MichiganTraveler60
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Where to begin? There are so many things wrong...

So, the Lake Victoria is very convenient for Entebbe airport. So that's a plus (it's one of the few plus points, believe me).

Check-in was very odd. Fill in a form at one desk. Take it to payment window. Payment window person checks, then comes out from around payment window to use the credit card machine. Slightly farcical. But hey, it was very late when I arrived and I was tired. The first thing I notice though was the sheer number of lake flies and mosquitos. Mostly lake flies I think but the cieling was moving with them. But it's near the lake so to be expected?

Room was very large but very strange mould/mildew smell. The bathroom was very large but there was a strange drain/sewer smell which never went away during my 4 days. All kept very clean though so don't know where the smell was coming from. It was a wet-room set up for the bathroom. The hot water never really got hot. When I was there the water was switched off twice for a few hours and the pool has been under reconstruction for several months. No date for when this would be finished.

Price included breakfast. Really terrible stuff though. I tried a bit of everything but nothing tasted good. Scrambled eggs were the most edible to me. All the pastries were strange and kind of stale. Orange juice was cordial, not the fresh kind. Got some instant coffee on the first day and then some better stuff. They have an espresso machine but they don't switch it on in the morning. And anyway the coffee wasn't cheap.

Undettered, I went for the dinner buffet that evening. It wasn't awful but I didn't want to go back for seconds.... Bar was pleasent upstairs but wasn't sure about some of the non-resident guests....

Service was very patchy. Orders wrong, gone astray etc. Staff generally cheery though and there were one or two really efficient staff members. Took me three days to get a remote control with working batteries. Annoying as when you're tucked under your mosquito net, it's a pain to get up and change etc.

No mosquito nets provided but had brought my own. There were definitely flying creatures in my room but couldn't say if lake flies or mosquitos. It's not really worth the risk and thought it strange that they didn't provide any. My room door didn't actually close flush with the frame and you could see light when the room was dark so flies could definitely get in there.

Finally, terrible fiasco trying to settle my bill. I noticed they had charged things to my room with dates before I had actually checked in! The slips had quite clearly been signed by someone else with a different room number and printed name so I have no idea why they put them on my bill. Anyway, they couldn't get the card machine to work so next morning with my early check out, we tried again. After 20 minutes I insisted that I paid with the old style carbon sheets and the payment lady reluctantly phoned for authorisation. Kind of summed up the stay really.

Terrible internet connection too. Only really available on the terrace (brave the flies, the BBQ smoke - extraordinary). I took an internet cable but the connection was painfully slow.

Ate well at Boma guesthouse and Goretti's pizzeria. Hotel called taxis very promptly.

I hesitated before giving it 1 out of 5 (it might be a 2). It's a shame because it obviously has potential and could be really good. Maybe if the pool had been working I would have given another mark. And it's busy: there are quite a few people staying there but might have been part of a safari package.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
SalesEntebbe, Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
The management of Laico Lake Victoria Hotel wishes to appreciate all individuals who have posted their opiniona and comments onto TripAdvisor and we have taken all the comments positively. We regret that over the recent years most of our guests have been inconvinienced by the just recently concluded renovation excercise, which was an inevitable venture since we had to upgrade the hotel so that we can provide all of you a better and improved service. Indeed, all the works have just been concluded with the swimming pool which is now fully operational. We have equally re-trained our staff and greatly improved our service delivery. We want to assure all of you who plan or intend to stay at Laico Lake Victoria Hotel that this time you will experince, in totality, a different feel and atmosphere and more especially now that the hotel is being run by the Laico chain of hotels and resorts which also owns other hotels accross Africa.