“What an Oasis! Much better than it gets credit for!”

Laico Lake Victoria Hotel
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed 3 nights here before heading out to explore the rest of Uganda and Rwanda for Gorilla and Chimp trekking. I think some travelers might miss out on just how nice this hotel is if they are expecting north American or European standards...cause you won't get that at all here. But you will get a well run hotel, and yes in Africa, I always say that patience is a virtue and yes, you may have to ask multiple times for something at the restaurant, but just sit back, enjoy and go with the flow and be patient and flexible. The rooms have been renovated and are very nice (even by European and N. American standards) and clean. The beds are comfortable (not too hard at all), the shower water is as hot as you'd like it to be and the bathrooms are modern with complete amenities. Toilets flush normally and bathroom and bedroom linens are all of excellent quality. I was in an executive room. When I needed an extra towel, I asked at the reception, and one was brought to my room within 5 minutes, much quicker than I expected. Lots of TV channels from around the world, but honestly who comes to Africa to watch tv? The food is yes, just OK, but definitely edible just not Michelin-star quality, but that shouldn't be expected at a 3-star hotel anyway. Nice variety of food choices on the menu and bar selections is good. The grounds are very pretty though I did not get to use the pool. Wifi is fairly stable, does go out from time to time and sometimes it runs slow, but that could also be due to high volume use on the network. All in all, I liked this hotel and will definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify that you want a NON-smoking room if you're a non-smoker.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank OTBPGourmet

Reviewed 1 June 2012

As the other reviewers have noted the hotel grounds are impeccably groomed and private and serene. The pools are beautiful with an open bar/restaurant and plenty of loungers in and out of the sun. We were delighted by the huge tortoises that are cared for in the inner courtyard.
The windows had tightly fitted screens and our room had its own AC. The evening turndown included a chocolate and a quick spray of bug repellent. We were thoughtfully asked by housekeeping if we preferred not to have the bug spray on evenings we were in the room. We were never bothered by a single mosquito throughout our stay.
In general, we found the hotel overpriced. However, one bargain is the massage, 40 minutes for around $15.00 US. The room is completely private and the masseuse professional and sweetly courteous.
The breakfast buffet was OK, but offered little variety from day to day and quickly became monotonous. Dining service was excruciatingly slow, particularly for dinner. If you can, have the buffet. In general the food is mediocre, and nothing really memorable. But do try the tilapia. Also, I suggest you put everything on your room bill rather than pay cash and wait for change. As well, the hotel cashier could only rarely exchange dollars for shillings. So, unless you want to hire a taxi to make a visit to Western Union for shillings, come prepared.
The two gift shops were pricey and didn’t stock any essentials beyond tourist size toothpaste. There are no sidewalks outside the hotel, the roads are confusing and congested, so you’ll likely need a driver once off the hotel grounds.
The staff attitude could be maddeningly noncommittal – a simple question such as “is there a buffet tonight?” was often met with “I don’t know”. But there were some who were so exceptionally friendly and helpful. Our bags were delivered to our room by Joseph who was unfailingly cheerful and eager to help during our entire stay. At the front desk, Esther was another standout. If you need a driver or have free time for sight-seeing, most definitely ask for Edward. For a very reasonable price he guided us in and around Entebbe, Kampala and Jinja. We were touched by Edward’s elegance and generosity of spirit as he shared his knowledge and wisdom about his beautiful but challenged country.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OneStepCloser
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed for 2 weekend a week apart. My initial booking was fine but my credit card was rejected. I called my bank and they said it was a problem with the hotel card payment system as they had already been alerted that I was going to stay there so they would clear any payment that came up, nothing did. Rooms were very clean and well appointed, they even have an evening bed turn down with a small chocolate on the pillow. Internet was really slow though which is strange as Entebbe has a huge fibre capacity for the last couple of years. Drinks in the evening by the pool or on the terrace was nice but sorry to say that the food was shocking. I ordered the sea and lake cocktail. This was described as cubes of fresh shrimp and fish fried on a bed of fresh salad. What I received was frozen shrimps that were still hot from being washed in hot water to thaw them. It was delivered at the exact time as my main, pork chops. The chops were like rubber and I ended up not eating either the cocktail or the chops and ate just the chips. Oh that was after the waiter finally remembered to bring something to eat with. I still enjoyed my stay but in future I would eat somewhere else, I was just that disappointed.

On my return visit the next weekend they forgot to collect me from the airport after I arrived on a 3:30am flight. When I arrived at the hotel they couldnt find my booking for about 10 minutes. Again the rooms are pretty comfortable, good back up power which is a must in Entebbe as the power goes off every 30 mins or so but the food just didnt match the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: My company has a rate with the hotel and on both stays I had a very similar room. All rooms have win...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank paulsmithun
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel has a very good standard of room. It is in a good location in Entebbe and the grounds and swimming pool are wonderful.

The food is not worse than hotels nearby, but a smaller menu and a move away from trying to replicate western fare and a greater concentration on local ingredients would differentiate it. The buffet, for example, is much better than the a la carte menu and is decidedly Ugandan .

What brings this Laico down is its very slow Internet connection which leads me to hesitate to recommend it as a business hotel. Solving this problem would make this hotel an excellent place to stay in Entebbe.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ZimKait
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Enjoyed staying here the night before a flight out of Entebbe. The room was clean and serene. The pool was a wonderful place to spend a lazy day. The food was okay, and the service ranged from friendly to VERY slow.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UltraNatasha
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel is on the pricy side and may be worth it if you want to lounge around the pool all day. The rooms are small. We arrived after a 12 hour road trip and waited over a half an hour to get a drink and over an hour to get our food-it wasn't busy. My laundry was due at noon, but they couldn't find it. Luckily we were there until 2pm so by then they had my laundry. The breakfast buffet was great though!

Room Tip: There are many rooms, if you have trouble getting around request near the reception.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Leah G
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Improved although I wish they would remove the carpets in the rooms and replace with wood flooring or cement tiles. Allergies are triggered accordingly. Service has improved although the food quality still leaves much to be desired....although breakfast is good particularly their omelets with everything in it (including some chills); the hotel is famous for its grounds and its diving board. My children conquered the top diving board when we we were here in the 90's. Still its probably on the good hotel in Entebbe.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms with the large beds facing the pool, the 2nd floor provides you a glimpse of La...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business