“Disappointing in so many ways”

LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel Entebbe
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Bangkok, Thailand
“Disappointing in so many ways”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at the LVH for about ten days while working at the nearby UN base. Even with the UN rate the rooms are expensive for the quality. Rooms in the renovated part of the hotel are a bit better, though even these are dark and depressing. The breakfast buffet is just okay, with rather low quality items offered, though in abundance. Service in the resto is slow and staff are generally disinterested. There is supposed to be a fitness center, though it was under renovation. The wireless internet was often down and generally weak throughout much of the premisis. Perhaps the one saving feature is the hotel grounds/pool.

Which brings me to my main complaint, the attitude of management toward their guests. The second weekend I was there the hotel had hired out the entire pool area for a lavish wedding, advising guests that the pool would not be available to them (on the weekend, which is the only time those working might actually use it). As my colleagues and I were to fly out later in the night we had planned on using the pool to relax before our flights, though this was no longer possible, We therefore asked if we could have a later check-out and this turned out to be a protracted negotiation that, after two days, allowed us first to stay til noon (they claim the usual checkout time is 1000 hrs!), and eventually 1500 hrs. And with this concession we were made to understand we had been granted an enormous favor. Sorry, but with this attitude I will definitely stay elsewhere when next in Entebbe.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Los Gigantes, Spain
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed in the hotel and this was my experience:
ROOMS:
-Nasty rooms with old yellowish bed covers and pillows with fade logs.
-Toilet Towels clean but too old. Body Lotions in the Bathroom smell bad and unusable.
-I called No. 414 to the reception but it was a wrong number. I found this number on a list of extensions placed in my room
-The lowest room rate on the Hotel Travel website is $205 but the real lowest rate at the hotel is $110.

FOOD SERVICE:
-I waited for one hour for a Mozzarella Pizza but when it was brought it was a pizza with different bad cheese.
-I waited for 45 minutes for Salad which was brought when it was very cold and not fresh.
-The service was to slow.
BREAKFAST:
-The breakfast was too poor and I never finish a glass of juice for it was like just colored water with bad taste.
-The fruits in the basket were not ripe and were of such taste of unripe fruits.
-The Bacon was not advisable to be eaten for it appeared expired.
-All that could be eaten on the breakfast was the Omelets and bread.

ENVIRONMENT:
-The hotel is not a safe place to stay due to presence of prostitutes who sit freely in the lobby and outside.
-What is good is the swimming pool which is so beautiful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed here for six days. I liked it a lot. The room I got was perfect for me. Nice simple and very clean. Second floor and view of pool and the lake in the distance. There were a few things missing in the room like coat hangers but I brought my own anyway ( that sounds weird - but when you travel a lot, thin metal coat hangers are very handy!).
I like Uganda and the gentle polite people are its charm. Do not expect rapid service. When you order a beer, it takes time to arrive. This is Uganda. You have time to think and relax. And the beer tastes better!
Take your time - that goes for checking in and out. It gives you a chance to talk to the locals.
Breakfast was great - my kind of breakfast. Fresh pineapple - great - loads of fruit and very little processed food.
Being the garden of the world, the place resounds in animals and vegetation. Even the spiders were beautiful. I had a lanky emerald green spider casually crawl up my arm as I was drinking that beer( they are harmless), while a small bird made a sound like a truck screeching to a halt.
My only minor gripe was the internet wifi - it was on and off. But that is because I was there to work. So don't come to this place to work at a pace. Come to relax, chat to the locals and wander the local area.

Room Tip: I got a great room - second floor - I have no idea about the other rooms
2 Thank 42_Countries
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This hotel has such potential, but too bad the quality of the service brings it down. The staff was generally quite polite, but I did not have a good impression of the hotel when first arriving due to the delay of getting a room. I arrived around 9pm on a Wednesday night and didn't get a room until around 10pm. It was quite disappointing, as it was quite late at night.

Next, the phones in the room didn't work and I was unable to call out to reception nor to an outside line. The front desk wasn't very helpful in fixing the solution. Upon being denied a room, I was also denied Internet access because I didn't have a room number.

Also, the service at the restaurant was quite poor, I was never able to find anyone to take my order, and had to walk up to the bar several times to place my order. The breakfast included at the hotel was mediocre.

When I woke up in the morning, there were tiny flying insects all over the walls and ceiling of the room. I guess that isn't the hotel's fault since they're located so close to the lake, but it was just discomforting to wake up to because they would also die and fall on my bed and pillows.

The only redeeming quality of the hotel was the pool and all the vegetation that surrounds it. It was quite lovely to sit outside at the restaurant, bar and pool deck.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ws227
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I only spent one night at this hotel, and that was enough for me. Nothing was quite right. When I arrived at my room it turned out someone was already in it! I was given another room, and it smelt of smoke, although it was a non-smoking room.
No one answered the reception or room service phones when I called, and I did call many times.
It also seemed that the receptionist had more to say to her friend on her phone, than to me as I waited.
This hotel is not cheap, but the attention to detail is lacking.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ultomato
Rennes
Reviewed 28 February 2013

The rooms are very nice, spacious and clean. The staff was very helpful when we asked them for extra towel or to fix the air conditionner which was too stron. The big minus of the place is the restaurant, the service is very slow and the food is really so-so, not tasty, overpriced... Just enjoy your stay in the hotel and sample the restaurants around!

Room Tip: The family rooms are really nice
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MarieRennes
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Overall the hotel is very clean and fresh, the staff were very polite and accommodating, the food service was a little slow but good quality. The only fault was with some of the customers making noise and constantly complaining about service etc etc. This isn't New York!! Apart from this, I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business