“Nothing to save it from one star - avoid.”

LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing to save it from one star - avoid.”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Awful, simply awful.
Upon arrival you expect something lovely - great building, big reception, big bar and restaurant, lovely grounds, superb views, all well maintained. But that is it. Even the view does not add a star. After waiting an hour for a bottle of wine on room service, we got the wrong wine after trying a further two times. Dinner was a disaster with argumentative staff (trying to tell me my hard egg was runny as ordered) - they ended up giving us the wine and food for free with a hugely apologetic food manager. Early morning call and breakfast ordered - neither happened. Upon checkout we were asked to pay for it all - needless to say that that argument just ended up with more being taken off for our stay.
During our stay they were relandscaping so the gardens were a mess. They also had a very rowdy wedding that went on until 3am in the open swimming pool around which are many rooms. The aircon did not work and there was little appetite from the staff to relocate us or solve the aircon issue - I suppose that by then there had been so many complaints that they just wanted us to leave! Which of course, we were happy to do.

Room Tip: A room in any other hotel - just don't go to this one
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
LaicoLakeVictoria, General Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear NightOwl ,

Thank you very much for the comments. We shared following your stay with us here at Laico Lake Victoria Hotel.
I have took notes of the points you raised which will be disused with the team.
Hope to see you when come back at the hotel. Please contact me before you come on this contact "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com".

Marc Peters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is the most popular spot in Entebbe and a decent stay but it's a little bit out dated. Needs renovation. The food is good and the pool is nice and relaxing. The location is central to all of Entebbe.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
LaicoLakeVictoria, General Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Brad B
I have took notes of the points you raised which will be discused with the team.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I spent one night at the Lake Victoria Hotel during my layover in Entebbe. In total, I thought my stay was suitable for one night. The grounds of the hotel are very modern and nice (good location too, close to the airport). The staff I dealt with was pretty good. Although, the cashier I worked with during check-out was quite unpleasant. The room I stayed in was nice, with a big bed and a big bathroom. However, during my stay, the lights were continuously going on and off (power failure) and was very annoying (short spurts of a minute or so). The wifi was decent but would shut off whenever the power went out. Also, the drain in the bath-tub was broken. Therefore, I was unable to take any showers or baths (it filled up with cold water before it heated up). I ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel, both were good. The dinner had a good spread of choices as did the breakfast (I preferred the breakfast). However, I thought that dinner was overpriced (~21 USD w/ 1 beer) based on what was served. The rate for the hotel was not too terrible, I think it was around 140 USD. As a stated earlier, LAICO was fine for one night. However, had I stayed longer the problems I mentioned would have undoubtedly lowered the rating I have given. I would recommend looking elsewhere for longer stays in Entebbe.

Dear Sam C,

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

First of all, I recommend ignoring the previous 2 reviews which are probably from competing establishments. This is an excellent hotel. I was booked in here after being evacuated from South Sudan. The hotel is very smart and is set in beautiful grounds. Lots of different trees and birds to watch. The restaurants have lovely views over the trees and pool area. The food we had was good and reasonably priced. I was a little disappointed that the lake was not visible from the Lake View Terrace!

The room was clean and in excellent condition. A nice shower/bath. All the facilities you need. Wireless internet is also included and works quite well.

The pool area looks very nice, but I did not get chance to use that.

The hotel is only a few km from the airport and they will provide a shuttle.

1 Thank davestly
Dear Davestly,

Thank you so much for your positive comments about your stay with us.

I hope to welcome you soon and please do not hesitate to contact me "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com.

Best Regards,
Entebbe, Uganda
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have worked in Africa for 12 years and this is the worse Hotel ever, STAY AWAY!!! As I type it is 2am, can't sleep as no AC 30 degree C+, room stinks of stale piss, and the bed is full of bugs. Management does not care despite we have 40 rooms booked for a conference, loud disco on beach. Honestly, STAY AWAY!!!! VOMIT...

Dear Tinman,

Thank you for your comments.
Am so sorry for any inconveniences during your stay in the Laico Lake Victoria Hotel.
I have discussed with my staff about your comments and we must account for all comments.
We made several improvements and changes.
I hope to welcome you again at the hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com".

Marc Peters

Travellers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nice on the surface and has a lovely pool but is not up to the standard expected. The room smell a lot of mildew. There are no mosquito nets and no hooks to hang up your own net. The breakfast was good. The rest of the restaurant menu was not very exciting, I had a hard time deciding what to eat because nothing sounded very appetizing but everything we ate (4 people lunch and dinner) was ok. Garlic pizza was the best option or going somewhere else to eat. Good free shuttle service to the airport.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
LaicoLakeVictoria, General Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Clara,

Thank you very much for the comments. we shared following your stay with us here at laico lake Victoria Hotel.
I have took notes of the points you raised which will be discussed with the team.
Hope to see you when you come back at the hotel. Please contact me before you come on this contact "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com"

Regards,
Marc Peters.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a comfortable hotel that I have stayed at frequently for business travel. The rooms are neat and clean, but maintenance upkeep is in order. In every room I have stayed in, taking a shower floods the bathroom floor. The Internet is spotty and slow, making communications with my employer an arduous experience. The breakfast needs improvement, but isn't bad. The restaurant service is slow, even for Uganda.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business