“UN and expat place”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Lagos, Nigeria
“UN and expat place”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

There must be something good seeing all the UN and expats milling about and enjoying the pool and facilities. Certainly the ambiance and food was pleasant and the overall memory was pleasant. Would I stay there if it wasn't for its location near the airport? - No. But better that the Protea down the road.
The room (stayed two nights in different stays) was sold as executive. The bedroom portion was challenged for space - hate to see the "lesser" rooms. The bathroom was spacious and had a bidet (that I could not imagine being of much use but what do I know??). Hot water and a towel (don't expect more). There was even a dressing gown that had seen many better days. No tea or coffee facility in the room - almost a must for me. Bed ok - king more like a double but I was alone so it was fine.
The rooms lead off long dark passages that reminded me of a labyrinth. Both times I stayed I was off one of these passages and each time I took wrong turns to eventually find the exit.
The shuttle to and from the airport was very efficient and a big plus for the hotel.
Service at dinner was an optional extra. Maybe the UN/ Expat brigade sit around not eating or drinking or so you would think judging by the extent of pleas made to be served. Maybe they knew there was nowhere else that we could go and they were having bets as to how long we would endure the lack of attention. Management was invisible so no use complaining.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the pool area. There are no other rooms with a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rob N
LaicoLakeVictoria, General Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Rob N,

Thank you so much for your comments and your stay with us at Laico lake Victoria Hotel.
I disused all with my team for each point in your comments and for improvement the quality in the hotel.
I hope to welcome you again at the hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com".

Marc Peters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Was very comfortable and happy staying at this hotel for a business trip. Very good value, well-appointed, clean room. Extensive menu for lunch and dinner, and lots of choices at breakfast buffet. It is a large property so odds are you'll be walking a lot to get to the lobby and common rooms, but it is great to stretch one's legs on a business trip when seated most of the day anyway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank N_bay_tk
Dear N_bay_tk,

Entebbe, Uganda
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The rules are simple:

1/ Bet how long it takes to be served at the Terrace Restaurant;
2/ Then again for how long the order will take to be delivered;
3/ And finally for whether what you're presented with is exactly what you'd ordered.

Having said that, there are occasions when the service is faultless, so I don't really understand how the standards can vary so much. Like everywhere, I guess it comes down to the calibre of individual staff, the quality of training and their receptiveness to it.

In fairness, when things work well it's fine and no complaints whatsoever. Just the consistency of service delivery.

Can't comment on the rooms etc.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobUganda
Dear Rob,

I disused it with my team from point to point in your comments and for improvement the quality of service in the hotel.

Portales
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I enjoyed my short stay at the Lake Vic. The room while not large, was clean and quiet even though it fronted the pool. It is very much a European type room with adjoined twin beds but the bathroom was large, modern and had a full tub. The pool is huge and has diving platforms. All the nice hotels in Entebbe are not inexpensive but the Lake Vic has a few things in it's favor, such as location/easy access to the airport, a decent restaurant with outdoor seating to people and pool watch, and lounge spaces. Also they are very polite and professional.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paolo D
Dear Paolo D,

Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel is very pleasant - a good bar, decent food and a large swimming pool. Service from the staff was very good and friendly.
The transfer service to and from the airport was efficient and ran early morning (06:00) too.

The room was large enough and well equipped. A local newspapers was also provided every day. The only problem with the room was the corridor and room had a slight musty smell - as if the room had been out of use for a while. On the other hand, as the room looked out onto the closed courtyard, the windows could be left open at night behind good mosquito screens.

Room Tip: Try and get a room looking out over the closed courtyard
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Adrian Y
Dear Adrian Y,

I disused it with my team for each point in your comments and for improvement on the quality in the hotel.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This place is great for a stop over while passing through Entebbe. Nothing spectacular, just average.

Location. Conveniently located near the airport, it takes 10 mins and they run a shuttle service.

Buildings. The buildings are clean and tidy, but no effort seems to be made to make it anything other than average. Most walls are bare with no character. The pool is great.

Accommodation. Reasonably sized rooms.

Food. The food seems good, I especially enjoyed the brochettes. The ice cream was poor, home made, but just not made well, however this is Africa.

Drink. All of the usual fare that you would expect.

Staff. The staff are polite and helpful; no complaints.

Summary. Very average with no complaints. A must if it is a late flight and don't want to drive to Kampala in the dark.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
LaicoLakeVictoria, General Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Lloydhankins,

I disused it with my team for each point in your comments and for improvement the quality in the hotel.

South Africa
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This hotel is easy to find, looks impressive from outside and is very conveniently situated if you need to get to the airport. We checked in for two days for some much-needed R&R on our trip from Cape Town to Cairo. The asking price of $230 per night is pretty expensive but we wanted to spoil ourselves for a couple of days. It was unusual to be asked to pay the full amount when we checked in, but we complied.
The hotel makes a good first impression with a lovely reception area, pool area and gardens. Unfortunately our room did not live up to our expectations. The room is a good size with a very nice bathroom which was spotlessly clean which is important to us after some horrible camp-sites in Rwanda and Uganda. Unfortunately the bath had no plug and I wanted to bath. Called housekeeping and a (metal) plug was delivered promptly. Had a bath but then could not get the plug out so maintenance had to be called and they removed the plug with a plunger so clearly they are used to this happening. They left the plunger in case we needed it again??
The cupboard door almost fell off when I opened it as the top hinges were broken. The balcony door was opened to reveal a damp carpet where the rain had got in and some toilet paper that had been stuffed around the doorframe to prevent the rain coming in. We turned on the air-conditioner and it sounded like it was going to explode - no way to sleep through that noise!
We were going out so left all this and when passing through Reception, I asked to see the Manager. Shock and horror, but he was called. I explained the problems with the room to him and told him that I just wanted to make sure that he understood that with these issues in the room I felt that the room was certainly not good enough and certainly not worth $230.
He thanked me for my feedback and walked away! Fair enough - got my message through to him, but certainly would not stay here again and certainly would not recommend this hotel.
The staff were extremely helpful in this hotel and could not have tried to be more hospitable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CTownian,

Thank you so much for your comments and for your stay in the Laico Lake Victoria Hotel.
I discussed with my team about your all comments. we made several improvements and changes.

I hope to welcome you again at the Hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com".

Best Regards,