“Comfortable, but weak staff”

LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel Entebbe
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The corridors made me a bit uncertain of my choice of hotel when I got there, but I calmed down when I got to the room. The room was nice and comfortable. It was clean, but had a slight smell, but it didn't really bother me.
The breakfast was nice, but lacks a bit of finesse. Hotel staff is friendly, but partly ignorant and ineffective. Compared to the price, I didn't feel I got value for money here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
LaicoLakeVictoria, General Manager at LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel Entebbe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Smuari,

Thank you very much for your comments and your stay with us at Laico lake Victoria Hotel.
I disused it with my team for each point in your comments and for improvement the quality in the hotel.
I hope to welcome you again at the hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me "gm@laico-lakevictoria.com".

There are newer reviews for LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel Entebbe

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Got picked-up at the airport and brought to the hotel after staff wasted 30min looking for a guest who didn't show.

Check-in was an experience with you filling-in a form and then bringing it to the cashier's cubby hole to pay, then bringing the receipt back before you get your key. Somebody look at the productivity and efficiency!

Bellhop brings you and your bags to your room via not so bright corridors. You see your room - and... It could have been bigger. Two bags make the room a bit cramp. A bottle of water, an empty fridge, a tiny TV, a safe, then the toilet (which looked quite clean).

Ordering food takes quite a while at the restaurant, nothing really special in terms of taste.

Breakfast was quite a spread but again, nothing special.

Check-out also was also the same as the check-in process.

Nice pool.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Edfaigmane,

Thank you so much for your comments and your stay with us at Laico lake Victoria Hotel.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

There must be something good seeing all the UN and expats milling about and enjoying the pool and facilities. Certainly the ambiance and food was pleasant and the overall memory was pleasant. Would I stay there if it wasn't for its location near the airport? - No. But better that the Protea down the road.
The room (stayed two nights in different stays) was sold as executive. The bedroom portion was challenged for space - hate to see the "lesser" rooms. The bathroom was spacious and had a bidet (that I could not imagine being of much use but what do I know??). Hot water and a towel (don't expect more). There was even a dressing gown that had seen many better days. No tea or coffee facility in the room - almost a must for me. Bed ok - king more like a double but I was alone so it was fine.
The rooms lead off long dark passages that reminded me of a labyrinth. Both times I stayed I was off one of these passages and each time I took wrong turns to eventually find the exit.
The shuttle to and from the airport was very efficient and a big plus for the hotel.
Service at dinner was an optional extra. Maybe the UN/ Expat brigade sit around not eating or drinking or so you would think judging by the extent of pleas made to be served. Maybe they knew there was nowhere else that we could go and they were having bets as to how long we would endure the lack of attention. Management was invisible so no use complaining.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the pool area. There are no other rooms with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rob N

Dear Rob N,

I disused all with my team for each point in your comments and for improvement the quality in the hotel.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Was very comfortable and happy staying at this hotel for a business trip. Very good value, well-appointed, clean room. Extensive menu for lunch and dinner, and lots of choices at breakfast buffet. It is a large property so odds are you'll be walking a lot to get to the lobby and common rooms, but it is great to stretch one's legs on a business trip when seated most of the day anyway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank N_bay_tk

Dear N_bay_tk,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The rules are simple:

1/ Bet how long it takes to be served at the Terrace Restaurant;
2/ Then again for how long the order will take to be delivered;
3/ And finally for whether what you're presented with is exactly what you'd ordered.

Having said that, there are occasions when the service is faultless, so I don't really understand how the standards can vary so much. Like everywhere, I guess it comes down to the calibre of individual staff, the quality of training and their receptiveness to it.

In fairness, when things work well it's fine and no complaints whatsoever. Just the consistency of service delivery.

Can't comment on the rooms etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RobUganda

Dear Rob,

I disused it with my team from point to point in your comments and for improvement the quality of service in the hotel.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I enjoyed my short stay at the Lake Vic. The room while not large, was clean and quiet even though it fronted the pool. It is very much a European type room with adjoined twin beds but the bathroom was large, modern and had a full tub. The pool is huge and has diving platforms. All the nice hotels in Entebbe are not inexpensive but the Lake Vic has a few things in it's favor, such as location/easy access to the airport, a decent restaurant with outdoor seating to people and pool watch, and lounge spaces. Also they are very polite and professional.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paolo D

Dear Paolo D,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel is very pleasant - a good bar, decent food and a large swimming pool. Service from the staff was very good and friendly.
The transfer service to and from the airport was efficient and ran early morning (06:00) too.

The room was large enough and well equipped. A local newspapers was also provided every day. The only problem with the room was the corridor and room had a slight musty smell - as if the room had been out of use for a while. On the other hand, as the room looked out onto the closed courtyard, the windows could be left open at night behind good mosquito screens.

Room Tip: Try and get a room looking out over the closed courtyard
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Adrian Y

Dear Adrian Y,

I disused it with my team for each point in your comments and for improvement on the quality in the hotel.