“Great place to stay both for business and leisure travellers”

Old Continent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Uzhhorod
Reviewed 25 February 2013

From previous visits to Uzghorod I knew that this is very good hotel but never stayed there and so this time decided to book it for our family stay. We booked room directly via hotel site at promotional rate only for 1 night. It was short stopover on our way from Kiev to Slovakia. We arrived in the early evening - tired after long journey by car, check in was fast and efficient and then we were escorted to the room. Royal Deluxe is something like Junior Suite - room is really huge with high ceilings occupying central location on the first floor of the hotel and having big balcony - the one you can see on all pictures on the facade of the hotel. Room is has very good furniture, clean and bright, everything is working properly; room has free safe, free Wi-Fi minibar etc. Bathroom is well equipped, has high quality bathroom products (Pascal Morabito), bathrobe and sleepers. The only minor point of criticism is old fashion TV which probably has to be changed to smth modern. Public areas are very nicely designed, well maintained and spotlessly clean. Hotel is very conveniently located only few minutes walking distance from old center. We did try restaurant and although prices are really high especially by Uzghorod standards have to admit that food is really delicious - they do have very famous Hungarian chef de cuisine. We has been travelling with 5-year child and also was departing very early in the morning, thus did have a lot of additional requests which to the hotel's credit were absolutely fulfilled. All in all we did enjoy our short stay very much and can definitely recommend the hotel to all visitors both for business and leisure.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VitaliyS
There are newer reviews for Old Continent Hotel

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Located in the centre of town near all the shops and cafes this hotel is a standout in the Region. My fiancee and I took the train from Lviv to Uzhhorod on a Friday afternoon and arrived late in the evening to our hotel. We were shown two style of rooms, classic and modern. We opted for the modern rooms as they were in a newer section of the hotel and the furniture was quite attractive and welcoming.

The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable. We also enjoyed piece and quiet in the morning. Service from all staff members was superb and most spoke English.

The real treat at this hotel is the absolutely wonderful dining experiences we shared two nights in a row durning our stay here. The assortment of local Vodka's and wine list is first class. We loved the fois gras in blackberry sauce as appetizers , duck breast as entres' and the chocolate soufflé we shared for desert . The meal was absolutely delectable and memorable!

We stayed for four nights and this hotel hosts the best restaurant in town by a long shot!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank brent l
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Initially we booked two nights in the Old Continent, but then enjoyed the hotel and the city so much that were happy to extend our stay.

BOOKING

Booked Panorama Deluxe through the hotel’s web-site. With 20% discount for on-line booking, it was an excellent value. Moreover, the extended stay was also calculated at a discounted rate; unexpected hence twice as pleasant.

LOCATION

The hotel’s location couldn’t be better. In the city centre, right by the pedestrian bridge over the Uzh River; in a walkable distance to quite a few main Uzhhorod sights, including vibrant Korzo Street, the Holy Cross Exaltation Cathedral and (a bit further) the Castle and Skansen.

PARKING AND HOTEL

Spacious free parking for the hotel’s guests is at the backyard of the hotel – huge benefit, as parking on the narrow busy streets of Uzhhorod is some challenge. To reach the parking, drive past the hotel, turn left to the quay in front of the pedestrian bridge then make first left turn to the hotel parking. You can then get to the hotel through the restaurant’s summer terrace.

Panorama Deluxe is in the so-called “Modern” part, on the fourth floor (7th Heaven Deluxe is one staircase higher). Unlike “Classic” part, there’s no elevator there, stairs only, and the room is somewhat far from the hotel entrance and the restaurant. Luckily, there is a porter to assist with the luggage.

ROOM AND BATHROOM

Panorama Deluxe was very cozy, stylish and thought-through in every detail. Even the reproduction of Klimt’s didn’t irritate the eye and seemed appropriate. There were all the necessities in the room: bathrobes and slippers, a hair dryer and a safe deposit, a small mini-bar. Complimentary bottle of mineral water per each guest was available daily.

An excellent large bed with comfortable pillows and total (!) quietness in this wing of the hotel provided for a perfect sleep. It was a blessing after noisy VIP in Khust and Star in Mukacheve where we have stayed few previous nights (see separate reviews).

Exactly as the web-site promises, the room offers amazing city panorama of the pedestrian bridge over the Uzh River and the square behind it, enjoyable from large windows and a small balcony.

The only tiny issue I had was the quantity of sockets (power outlets), insufficient to charge all my numerous gadgets at a time. Also, for two days free WiFi in the room had an extremely weak signal, but it substantially improved on the third day.

The bathroom was very clean and also stylish – lovely yellow glass panel added a wonderful touch of warm light. The toiletries were amazing. Just a few minor downsides about the bathroom, too: there was no curtain in the bath, and I had to pour water for quite a while to finally get it warm (possibly because of the top floor).

BREAKFAST AND RESTAURANT

Breakfast is not included into the room rate. As of May 2012, it cost UAH 150 (ca USD 18.5) per guest per day. The price included buffet (not overly generous) and one of the menu entries, quite sizeable. Plus unlimited coffee from a coffee-making machine.

We have also had a couple of dinners in the restaurant. The restaurant is pricey, yet I can’t honestly call it impeccable; the food quality was uneven. Say, risotto was undercooked, for my taste. Gulyash was too thin and not at all spicy. But the sea food and fish were perfect, and wines and desserts very decent.

Service was truly top notch, yet like in the entire hotel.

RECOMMENDED!

Except just a very few minor issues, the Old Coninent is an excellent hotel. Budget permitting (and it’s not the cheapest in town), I strongly recommend it in Uzhhorod. And shall gladly come back myself.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cora_v
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stayed a couple of nights at this hotel.
As we were two friends traveling and we just booked via the internet the last room (a suite), I contacted the hotel asking for two twin beds rather than one double bed. They responded immediately telling me that we could have an additional room (special arrangment because hotel is full) or they would provide us with an extra bed in the room. I opted for the second.

When I arrived, I noticed that the lady at the reception desk was very friendly.. The suite was much better (and larger) than what was described on the internet, which was a pleasant surprise

As the additional bed they put in our room proved to be for small people, I had a quite unconfortable first night. I expressed my problem with the lenght of the bed the next morning and they removed the bedsofa and put an (army) bed in our room. I slept very well on it the next couple of nights.

The room was VERY quiet, which I particulary enjoyed.

Negative was the fact that the air conditioning underperformed, I was not able to get my room really cool...only cooler

Breakfast is perfect and responding to Western Standards

The location of the hotel is perfect...it is in the mid of the town, near the passengers brigde. Close to the bars and shops.

Room Tip: the suite (304) is definitively a good choice...larger than announced !
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SooLux
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We had a lovely stay at the Old Continent. The hotel is beautiful and clean. The service is outstanding. And, Eugene, who works at the desk, is extremely helpful and nice. Don't worry if you only only speak English.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FatChance_12
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was a very nice hotel. The service was great. The food in the restaurant wonderful. Our room was well decorated and very clean. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lindalfromboston
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed here for a quick night in transit by car from Vienna to Kiev. Already the border crossing was a friendly surprise as it is almost exclusively "manned" by attractive Ukrainian ladies! The hotel in the border town of Uzhhorod immediately added to the positive impression. A real jewel in the town center, next to a river an bridge. Everything is so well managed that the hotel could easily be member of Leading Hotels or Relais & Chateau. I particularly enjoyed the outside patio restaurant and the inner bar. The deluxe room lacked absolutely nothing. I assume that the owners also operate the fashion boutique in the same building, therefore their good feeling for style and quality. This hotel is a recommendation not only for transit or business travelers, but also for tourists, extending a trip from Eastern Slovakia, Hungary or Poland.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TrophyCollector
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uzhhorod
Bogolvar Eco Resort & Spa
#3 of 13 in Uzhhorod
Hotel Eduard
Hotel Eduard
#8 of 13 in Uzhhorod

Been to Old Continent Hotel? Share your experiences!