“The place to be seen in the Hamptons-I guess”

The Stephen Talkhouse
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Went to see Rickie Lee Jones, one of my all-time favorite musicians. $110 a ticket did not even get me a seat. I should have sprung for the VIP seats. I could not see, place was packed. I wound up sitting on top of the bar which worked. Unfortunately, 50% of the people there continued to talk throughout the entire show. I guess it is aptly named. They didn't even know who they were seeing. I was really disgusted by the people. $4 for a warm bottle of water.

There are newer reviews for The Stephen Talkhouse

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Other than to have checked the place out, it was a painful experience. It was loaded up with white haired people hoping to hold on to their youth by listening to a far past his prime Leon Russell, who tried to mask the loss of his singing voice by playing music at eardrum breaking levels. So loud that I couldn't even enjoy any conversation at all with my friends--we resorted to texting. When I tried to occupy my time by looking at all the pictures of the performers on the walls, I noticed that it basically was the same people every year, looking older and older. Long story short, it wouldn't survive if there were other options. To be fair, I hear the late night bar/club aspect that opens much later for the 20 somethings is pretty good.

1  Thank MrFordCT
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Never been to the hamptons before and what a find for music out of the city. It is a bit divey but who cares when the music is pumping and the drinks are flowing. We had so much fun here especially for a Sunday night!!! Great to people watch too. I am on the email list for upcoming bands and stuff :)))))

1  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Went here Off Off Season (Dec 2012), still got a decent crowd for the Elliot Murphy show. Was well heeled crowd, but not the normal stiff upper lip residents or the Meat Head Day trippers. Just a pleasant laid back crowd. A bit pricey ($25 Cover charge on this night), but the show was good and the crowd size was perfect. I could imagine in the summer that this place is packed tight, but let Larry & Phil take care of you behind the bar. There is outdoor patio but between darkness and drunkeness, couldn't tell how many people it seats. Got hustled on the pool table ($2.00 game) for $30 but it was all in good fun.

All in all, I had a great time at STH and was made to feel welcome even though I went there alone.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

One of the great dive bars in all the world, The Talkhouse has hosted some of the most amazing intimate musical events I've ever been to. Jorma solo? Check. Neville Brothers? Check. Keller Williams? Check. Dicky Betts? Derek Trucks? Little Feat? Check check check.