“Hotel? Nice. Rooms? Well, it depends”
Review of Windward Shores

Windward Shores
New York City, New York
“Hotel? Nice. Rooms? Well, it depends”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a five night stay for the family in a studio. The beach is nice and the heated pool is too. The grounds are well taken care of and people working there are nice. BUT, 500$/night for a bare bones studio, is a bit much. Each room is owner owned and therefore some are renovated and some are not. Yet, the prices are about the same. Our studio (room 6) had evidence of a past leak, the shower rod was barely hanging on - easy fixes. The room was furnished by Bob's discount furniture - seriously? Worst, was waking up at 5:30am because of all the light coming in (not something I want on vacation). I realize that we are near the Hamptons, but there should still be some standards.
My advice: the hotel should put up pictures of each room to reflect the price. Call the hotel and ask about a renovated room to make sure you get your money's worth.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank 2013JPL2013
ManagerWindward, General Manager at Windward Shores, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Thank you for your review at tripadvisor.com I only wish I could have had the opportunity to discuss your concerns while you were here.

In the past two years, we have renovated and updated almost all of the units. I discussed your concerns with the owner and they have agreed to update their unit this fall. After reading your tripadvisor review, I had the drop ceiling tiles and shower rod in the bathroom replaced. As well, I purchased and replaced the curtains at the sliding glass doors. The sleep sofa you referred to is brand new, and a very sturdy choice with an upgraded mattress. The rest of the furniture in that unit was recently purchased from a high-end vendor.

It is of the utmost importance to us that we take every measure to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and, to that end, we follow up on all feedback received and act accordingly.

Should you wish to discuss this with I can be reached in the office of the office at Windward Shores Ocean Resort.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

If you are visiting Amagansett strictly for location, which we basically do, this is the perfect place for the family.

The view from units 44,43 and 42 up top simply cannot be beat. Other top units are beach front but the dunes are in the way of ocean view, still a perfect location in my opinion.
The units are large enough for a family of five. We enjoy having some space, well equipped kitchen two bathrooms, and a beach front deck with stellar views. Some of the units are recently renovated, ours was for the most part, and had beautiful decor.
You are oceanfront at this resort steps from the ocean as well as the pool.
The beach is stunning. The pool is very nice, kept clean, warm enough, with plenty of towels.
The beach has a nice chair and umbrella service as well as towels. Even on the most crowded day, Saturday, you have plenty of room on the beach & the resort is quiet .

Both areas have the nicest young men working it- shout out to Mark who works the pool, such a nice man and remembers everybody's name upon first meeting.
Greets every single person by name each time they visit the pool, is impossibly quick to bring guests ample supply of clean pool towels and is as polite as can be, we enjoyed chatting with him.

The grounds are kept very clean, flowers and shrubs are beautiful.
Again, the beach is perfectly clean and they work hard each day to make sure of this.

***Note to management, you should not make these men wait until beach is spotless & raked clean before letting guests have chairs when they are there waiting from "opening" at 9am.
Guests paying this amount of money for a vacation should really not have to wait.
Again, the men at the beach work hard and are very nice and should be tipped well.
The Hamptons are also a shorts drive with tons of upscale shopping.

The bad . Simply put - housekeeping.
It's practically nonexistent. Our room was not even close to spotless upon arrival as one would expect, there was grease in the microwave the bathroom was not very clean the slider was full of fingerprints there was a couple of candy wrappers on the floor and my parents unit had some dirty clothes under the bed, including underwear and socks.
I immediately got out the cleaner and paper towels and cleaned up and I was satisfied with that.

They did not change the sheets at all during our four night stay. They made the beds brought plenty of clean towels and straightened up a little as well as loading and running the dishwasher, the dishwasher did not work very well at all. This is all unacceptable for $700 a night during peak time, especially when we left a nice tip on the very first day.
Our toilet broke on the first night, maintenance was very quick to come fix it I will say.
I am used to staying beachfront in Montauk, I know, typically, beach resorts are not always perfect, they can be musty damn due to the location, they are usually not updated, and we really are fine with that and have come to expect/accept that, however, housekeeping should be top-notch at a resort like this.
I did send a note via email on our last day voicing concerns and praise for beach /pool staff, but did not get a response.
We sincerely hope management takes note of this and really makes an effort to fix so we can return to our favorite location next year.

Stayed July 2014
ManagerWindward, General Manager at Windward Shores, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review.

The housekeeping effort here is tantamount to our success at Windward Shores, and I very much value your feedback. Please note that we had two housekeepers out sick for five days and while you were visiting us. Of course, that is not an excuse, but it is the truth. I am pleased to inform you that this effort returned to normal staffing levels and we received many compliments about our housekeeping employees this summer.

I apologize for your experience at the beach when there was a short wait for chaise lounges. Unfortunately, our staff had to ready that area for our guests. We take great pride in our beautiful beach and want our guests to enjoy their surroundings. It was an isolated occurrence however.

Please note that I did call you promptly upon reading the email you sent to us, but my call went directly to voice mail. I left a very detailed message and asked that you please call me to discuss your concerns, but I never received a return call.

It is disheartening for me to hear of your disappointments during your stay. I assure you that your next visit to Windward Shores will be a good one and ask that you please call me directly when planning your trip here.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Windward Shores Ocean Resort.

Yours Truly,

Windward Shores Ocean Resort
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2014

One of the worst "hotel properties" I have ever stayed in. I realize this was a "beach" property, but for $300 a night, it was ridiculous. I have stayed in better Motel 6 type properties. Many units are owned by individual investors who take better or worse care of their units. We stayed in unit 127 - avoid it. Front of dishwasher was rusty and inside smelled terrible. Bathroom had a drop ceiling with stains and wet tiles. Another small bath was right above it so who knows what the stains/wet tiles were. Place had not be professionally cleaned - cobwebs everywhere. Sink faucets didn't work correctly. Bed mattress was probably 15 years old and horrible to sleep on. When we asked the staff where the ice machine was, they advised we could make some in the single ice tray in the fridge. Great welcome after a long hot drive. You can do much, much better. Wouldn't stay there again on a bet.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bstorm502014
ManagerWindward, General Manager at Windward Shores, responded to this review, 2 August 2015
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us last year.

We have endeavored on a large renovation project, and I am pleased to report to you that most of the units here have been completely updated, including the one you were assigned.

I sincerely hope you give Windward Shores another chance and ask that you contact me directly should you wish to inquire re a future reservation.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We travel here at least 10 times during the summer. Not enough of course! Windward Shores is my favorites Dunes resort and I have used them for the past 15 years. The location is perfect! We enjoy the East Hamptons and Montauk and WS is right in-between both. We alo head to Sag Harbor as well.
The rooms have a small kitchen- which is ideal for my family of 5. We always book the duplex which has plenty of space. The pool is a good size and clean; however we spend most of the time at the beach.

If you are daring you can use the courts. Traveling in off peak times are great as well- less crowded, less expensive and the locals are nice. Summer season drags In too many outsiders :). But it's all good!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank flymetothemoon_8
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

First time in Long Island, first time in Montauk, first time in Windward Shores. We got this room at the very last minute (it was 5 pm and we were asking for sleeping there that night). Awesome room, the view was amazing and the receptionist really helpful. There's a pool, though the private beach is really a place you have to go to if you manage to.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
ManagerWindward, General Manager at Windward Shores, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
I was so pleased to read your very nice review regarding Windward Shores Ocean Resort, and very happy to know you enjoyed your time with us. Now that you have experienced the Montauk and Amagansett areas, we hope you will return when your schedule allows. We look forward to welcoming you back to Windward Shores a "second time."
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was our first time staying at Windward Shores after 32+ years of traveling to Montauk and we were very pleasantly surprised. We requested two bedroom, ocean front/ocean view to accommodate our group of four. Reservations were easy and our needs were met.

Our unit had the feel of apartment-style living. Downstairs has a private queen bedroom (minimal closet space) and full bath right next to it. The living area is roomy and has a queen pull out included in the sectional. A spiral staircase leads to the upper loft which features two twin beds, large closet, dresser, and spacious bath.

It appears the owners (of Unit 43) spared no expense - newly remodeled with full kitchen - granite counter tops, under mount sink, all new appliances, etc. The spacious tiled bathrooms featured large walk in showers with rain forest shower heads - nice! A total of three flat screen TVs are mounted on the walls of the living room/bedroom/loft and include DVD and CD players. Sliding glass doors lead to the deck which overlooks the dunes and the Atlantic, where dining is el fresco - table for up to six with large umbrella. Everything was clean, neat, and verrrry welcoming. Nice lighting on dimmers throughout, as well as ceiling fans.

The entire property is quiet and peaceful - we didn't hear any noise from any neighbors, even though the place was filled to capacity. The property is beautifully landscaped with lush foliage. Although we didn't use the pool due to weather, it looked lovely. The staff is friendly - everybody from check-in, to the life guards of the beach, which is only a few steps away.

WWS is located in the Stretch of Napeague and walking distance from The Clam Bar and "Lunch". If you're in the mood for a hike, Cyril's Fish House is up the road. And if it's real fried clams you're craving, or just little necks on the half, your best bet is The Clam Bar - sit at the counter and groove to the tunes, or dine outside - full menu, beer and wine.

I feel I should mention the only drawback to our vacation was the A/C in our unit - sadly, it didn't work to capacity, so the climate would get quite humid inside (if you're a mid-fifties woman who gets ''power surges'' you'll know what I mean) The A/C fan would come on, and air circulated, but the cooling feature just didn't kick in. We were told by maintenance that WWS is not set up power-wise to handle cooling all the units. However, by nightfall, when we left the sliding door to the deck open, a nice cool breeze would cool the place down.

We were all very, very happy we stayed here.

Room Tip: If you desire ocean view, ask for top floor facing the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank toto24522
ManagerWindward, General Manager at Windward Shores, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about Windward Shores Ocean Resort. I shared your comments with our staff, property management and the owner of the unit you occupied.

We strive for excellence here and it is indeed rewarding when those efforts are recognized by our guests.

During your stay, our electric provider (LIPA) was having issues with "switching" and our power levels were reduced as a result. Our maintenance staff was waiting for LIPA to restore us to full power, which happened the day of your departure.

Again, thank you for very positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you to Windward Shores, again, in the future.
Ronkonkoma, New York
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Great location. You walk out your door through the dunes to the ocean. The two bedroom suite was spacious and slept everyone comfortably. The manager, Laurie, was so helpful and her staff- Amanda, Karen and Emma, were equally friendly, helpful and accommodating. Fantastic off season rates! Looking forward to visiting again in September, this time for girls weekend getaway!
-Katherine

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Katherine O O
Dear Katherine:

Thank you the wonderful comments you posted regarding Windward Shores. The staff were thrilled to be recognized!

We are all pleased that you enjoyed our facilities and your time here, and look forward to welcoming you back in September!

Kind Regards,

Team Windward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amagansett
Sea Crest on the Ocean
#3 of 38 in Montauk
Montauk Manor
Montauk Manor
#1 of 7 in Montauk

Been to Windward Shores? Share your experiences!