“Fabulous Winter Weekend!”

The Hermitage at Napeague
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Amagansett
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My husband and I stayed in an immaculate, upper level beach front unit. The kitchen and both baths were tastefully updated. The living area is open and very spacious with a fantastic view of the beach and dunes from inside even if one chose not to stay on the large enclosed balcony, Much attention to detail was made by the owners and by a very friendly and accomodating staff. A great find for a winter getaway!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marmw2
There are newer reviews for The Hermitage at Napeague

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I want to thank the Hermitage at Napeague for being flexible on its cancellation policy for victims of Hurricane Sandy. I made a long-term reservation for an elderly, disabled couple whose home was damaged in the storm, but needed to cancel the reservation when the couple did not want to stay in a hotel so far from their town. The assistant manager, Randy, was very understanding of our situation and a pleasure to work with. I was especially happy to work with the hotel after Expedia (through which I made the reservation) gave me an unbelievably hard time when I tried to cancel. If the hotel treats its guests as well as it treated us, you will have a wonderful stay at the Hermitage.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jpfnewyork
Reviewed 25 October 2012

October was a perfect time to go because the rates were very reasonable! Rates are sky high in Peak season. There were 5 of us and we fit very comfortably in our unit. More than 5 people may not fit as well.

The beach is beautiful and very private. It is a short walk to the beach from the units as they sit back behind the dunes. We had an oceanview room but the dunes limit full view of the ocean on the first floor. I think it is like this with every ocean view room unless you book on the top floor. Driving is allowable on this beach so be sure to watch out for fisherman! The ocean was very active this time of year so swimming (not to mention temp) was not possible. We had great fall weather with sun and 65F+ temps so sitting on the beach was great.

The unit was clean and neat and the beds were very comfortable. Some wear and tear was seen throughout the rooms but that is probably due to staying after the end of the busy summer season. Carpets worn, deck furniture torn etc. Each unit is individually owned so the condition of one unit can be completely different that the next but all floor plans are the same. Each unit has two bedrooms, two full baths, fully appointed kitchen, dining and living area and covered deck. The housekeeping staff was very attentive each day and accomodated all of our requests. The pool was closed but the hot-tub was still running at this time of year.

The location is very isolated between Amagansett and Montauk. A taxi ride into either town for 5 people was $30 (plus tip) one way. They charge by the person and the ride is only about 10 minutes to either town. Seems a bit steep but worth it if planning to visit the local pubs. We went to Harvest for dinner. They serve family style meals and be sure to make reservations ahead of time-gets busy on weekends. Very dark so it was hard to read the menu but the food was tasty. There is tons of shopping in Amagansett and Montauk and a "must see" is the lighthouse at the end of the island. You can walk the rocks around the lighthouse and look at the surfers and fisherman take on the crazy ocean. The water is very active at the end of the island.

Rate in Peak season can be up to $5,800+ for a week stay without meals. While the place is really nice, I am not sure if I would spend that kind of money to stay here unless I REALLY loved Montauk in the summer. It is a great place to visit off peak season and just hope for the best with the weather! I will be back to visit again and I do recommend it for others.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tadtraveler
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This was our third trip to the hermitage. We've loved it every time. We've stayed in two different rooms and both have been very well appointed. The staff always helped us pick the best rooms available which was a big help. The location is perfect - between Montauk and Amagansett - close to the best dining options on the south fork in East Hampton and Montuak. The property is beautiful, you have a cool boardwalk leading you to the ocean and beautiful beach as far as the eye can see. There is a nice pool on the property, but we never used it (why sit by a pool when you can sit by the Ocean?). There are tennis courts on the property. it is right across the road from the walking dunes. We found plenty of hiking options nearby. We absolutely love the peaceful atmosphere that the hermitage provides. listening to the ocean from your room is a nice touch. seeing the ocean from your room is cool - recommend bring binocluars to scan the seas and also we found interesting birding opportunities right from our deck. Each room has a private deck which is awesome - the housekeeping staff did a great job and were very friendly! We love this place and will continue to visit and we recommend it for everyone from couples to families to large parties!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WindsongBFLO
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have been staying at the Hermitage with my family since I was a child and continue to stay there with my husband once a year. Perfect beach location and only a short drive into Montauk, Amagansett Square and East Hampton. Great restaurants in Montauk. I highly recommend East by North East and the Harvest for dinner. John's Pancake House is a must!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmnNy
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is my 3rd time at hermitage. Beautiful grounds simple but clean. 2 new tennis courts and updated pool area were a great discovery. The only drawback is unit interior - it must be updated fir $700 a night stay. Beach is great with great service. Will come back! Also had to leave 2 nights earlier due to Irene - management didn't offer even partial credit. But overall a great vacation spot !

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank gregny
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Whole place is filthy. Bugs all over. Couch was so dirty that we needed to put towels down just to sit on it.

I would not recommend. Front desk manager not helpful. Very rude. May be worst hotel room I have ever been in.

Room Tip: Dont stay. Bugs in the room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jgsc30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amagansett
Sea Crest on the Ocean
Ocean Vista Resort
Ocean Vista Resort
#3 of 6 in Amagansett
Ocean Colony Beach and Tennis Club

Been to The Hermitage at Napeague? Share your experiences!