“Great, but ...”

Sea Crest on the Ocean
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Amagansett
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Like a previous reviewer my family and I have been coming to the Sea Crest each summer for many years. The pool and beach are still great. We love the included beach chair, umbrella, and towel service.

The accommodations could use updating, but are clean and well serviced by housekeeping.

Like a previous reviewer we were also bothered by the large group that was rude, disruptive, and inconsiderate. In addition to the problems noted by the other reviewer, the adults in the group also loudly used profanity in the presence of children of other guests. In the future, I hope that management does better at enforcing common sense rules of behavior or else asking offenders to leave.

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Skater741
There are newer reviews for Sea Crest on the Ocean

Reviewed 25 July 2014

So first the good stuff. You are steps to the beach and many of the rooms have ocean views. The beach is clean and private and included is beach service providing chairs and towels. You are also 20 minutes away from many great restaurants in both directions - either Montauk or Amagansett / East Hampton. And my personal favorite - across the street from Cyrils Fish House (Best Lobster Roll on the East End -IMHO).

Not so good. The room. Well it was not expensive considering the location and mid-summer season. However the first problem is there was no bureau, or dresser, or any real drawers to unpack your clothes. There is one mirror - which was inside the closet, behind the hanging rod! - So of course once you hang your clothes you cannot see the mirror. The closet floor was also filled with what looked like used plumbing parts and there were holes in the bathroom walls where the towel rods should have been. I asked the girls at the front desk if I was expected to live out of my suitcase for these prices and they just apologized and said I should speak with the manager - but could not offer me a different room.
The next day when we returned from the beach at about 4:45 we saw the room had not been cleaned. Apparently the maids were confused because in the morning we had the do not disturb sign out - but around 11 we switched it to Service Please. Apparently they never came back to see that. I called the front desk and she told me that I called in time because the crew had not left yet and they would be right up.
They never came.
I called back and the front desk said the entire crew had left. So even though she called them and told them they needed to clean my room they basically ignored here and went home. Well...once again I as told to find and talk to Harold - the manager.
Harold - if you are reading this - at this point the front desk folks should have told you I was having some issues with my stay and you should have reached out to me. I shouldn't have to spend my vacation time trying to chase you down and find out where you are.
Anyway - so the location is great. And I peeked around and got the impression that some of the other rooms were very nice. Just not ours. It was very cramped - if you opened the closed it blocked the door into the living area.
I can't say I would not try again for a different room - there is a lot of potential for a great stay here...but.... I will have to check out other options first.

Room Tip: Would avoid room 12
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank slscottxny
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have come to Seacrest for 16 years for the unbelievable beach and perfect location between Montauk and Amagansett. We are happy to to say that our children learned to swim in the pool, and later to ride the waves here. Traditionally the Seacrest has patrons that range from young couples with children to older adults, all respectful of others staying in the units. Over the last 15 years we have had family spend the week here with us and have recommended this place at all. It has always been an quaint alternative to the more roudy, party-like downtown Montauk atmosphere... our gem!

Are things changing?

This visit we were saddened by a change in the patrons that were staying at the hotel. Apparently a number of rooms were occupied a group of families and friends that were quite unruly with little to no respect for others staying in adjacent rooms or on the beach/pool.
Open drinking on the decks, poolside and even setting up tents on the beach with full table of liquor and margarita machine, these classless occupants were disruptive to all. Children running around the complex all hours of the evening, screaming at the pool and leaving coolers, boogie boards and old towels outside rooms for my family to navigate around is not the experience we are accustomed to that this normally serene place.
Because there is no 24 hour management of the property and the beach is public we we told by management that little could be done to manage the situation.
We are hopeful that what we experienced this visit is not the type of clientele ownership is looking to attract and the they will work with management to enforce rules that have made this place special to our family over the years. If not we will find another resort in Napeague to spend our time and make new memories!

Stayed: July 2014
16  Thank KimoS69
Reviewed 20 July 2014

It isn't easy to book a beachfront hotel room on the East End of Long Island in midsummer, but we felt fortunate to reserve a room at the Sea Crest. The location and beach are superb, and the addition of a freshwater pool and tennis courts are added pluses. As for the rooms, they are certainly adequate: balconies that offer an ocean view, free basic cable TV, and free WiFi. The furnishings are utilitarian but comfortable, and rooms come with a kitchenette that includes a toaster, microwave and small refrigerator. So if you are looking for a mid-priced sojourn on the Atlantic, you could do a lot worse than the Sea Crest. And since we were there for the beach and the nearby communities of Montauk and East Hampton, all in all it wasn't a bad deal.

Room Tip: Just make sure you have an oceanfront room. Try for the second floor so the thunder of little feet r...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We booked with no notice, have never been to Montauk and had relatively low expectations bc of last minute find. This place was a great find for what we spent. The beds were comfortable, shower clean, lovely balcony and the grounds were nice and clean. They have some great guys working the beach who will set up chairs and umbrellas for you at no cost (a tip;)), it's not crowded - really just perfect for a long weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank jenadove
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Sea Crest on the Ocean web site offered BUY 3 NIGHTS at $193.75 a night GET 4TH NIGHT FREE! Called and spoke to the manager, we were told you had to buy 4 NIGHTS AT $193.75 AND THERE WAS NO FREE NIGHT.We have been coming out here for 28 years and stayed there at least 12 times. We will never stay there again. This was a SCAM, they need to be honest.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert J S
SeaCrestOnTheOcean, General Manager at Sea Crest on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Robert,

We appreciate you taking the time to give feedback on your phone conversation with us and thank you for your patronage over the years. As discussed, please understand that when booking online the system will give you an average nightly rate for the entire stay as opposed to a daily rate for each individual room night. In your case you were attempting to book 4 nights with a special that offered the 4th night free. Therefore, when doing the math your total needs to be divided by 4 nights in order to get $193.75 which was the correct average nightly rate including the free night. If you divide by 3 nights you will get an incorrect/higher average nightly rate. It is also very important to read and understand the fine print. Unfortunately, the above was not clear to you despite our efforts to explain this during our conversations.

We do not run online scams. We would never jeopardize our image much less risk losing our loyal guests over false advertising. Our property is one of the top ranked oceanfront resorts in the Hamptons and a proud Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence Award Winner, two years in a row. I am confident that one of the many guests that are currently enjoying and/or have enjoyed our advertised specials in the past will confirm their real value and validity on this website. In fact, I invite all readers to see for themselves. Visit our website and book one of current or upcoming specials.

Harold Jones
Sea Crest on the Ocean a Dune Management Property

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our one bedroom apartment with balcony overlooking the ocean on the top floor (far end of the complex) was immaculate, roomy, bright, cheery, fully equipped kitchen. We could not have been happier.

Beach and pool staff were excellent.

Casual seafood place directly across the main road and a breakfast/bagel store just down the road. $20 taxi to Amagansett township, $30 to East Hampton.

Room Tip: upper level, balcony with ocean view was perfect
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amagansett
Driftwood on the Ocean
#5 of 6 in Amagansett
Montauk Blue Hotel
Montauk Blue Hotel
#9 of 39 in Montauk

Been to Sea Crest on the Ocean? Share your experiences!