“Well worth the detour to Al Ain”
Review of Camel Souk

US$170.00*
Al Ain Tour from Dubai
Ranked #9 of 51 things to do in Al Ain
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The camel souk was the only thing we really enjoyed in Al Ain and I'm glad we hired a car in Abu Dhabi to come and see it. I guess we could have taken a bus tour, but then we would have been with the big group that must have spent all of around five minutes there.

If you're somebody who enjoys taking photographs, it's worth spending a little more than an hour there. The traders will have more than gotten used to you being there by then and will have stopped offering to show you their baby camels (for a fee, of course).

Common advice for visiting the camel souk seems to be to dress respectfully. The blonde girl in the strappy top and hot-pants gripping her partners hand appears not to have read anything about that, but she was in amongst the sea of 5-minute tourists, so I don't think she noticed the reactions. I don't know whether our more modest dress was what led to more interesting conversations with traders, but I expect it could have helped.

9  Thank masaccio
There are newer reviews for Camel Souk

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Go early to see real commerce. I observed bartering for camels for a wedding feast. Be prepared to pay for the best photos. Typical set up "come see the baby!" then "o let me take your picture" then " give money". But it was so cool, I didn't mind leaving a little money for the local economy. Think primitive, smelly but very culturally accurate.

2  Thank FiddlerDoyle
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a great time there with the kids. I wanted to post where to find the camel market since it was difficult for us to find. You need to follow the instruction to go to Bawadi Mall. The Al Ain Central Market is behind the mall at the back of the market. There is about 100 camels there and others animals.

Having read the reviews here, we were able to negotiate a price before entering the cage. We offer 50 dirhams (15$) and one of them accept (the others said that we don't need to pay but we knew better and insisted for agreeing to a price). We were able to see a 1 day old camel.

4  Thank Zazoujoyeuse
Reviewed 5 January 2012

From the TA reviews I was a little concerned about two women travelers with two young children. It ended up in our advantage. One young man took us around and let us pet the animals and take pictures. While some may have viewed him as excessively friendly, we decided to enjoy the experience for what it was and just took the friendliness in stride. He did ask for money, but it was just 20Dhrs. Once he realized we were genuinely interested in the animals and not just a photo-op he explained the differences between camel varieties and costs, etc.. The camels themselves were friendly and the kids enjoyed petting the animals. We also looked around at the other livestock, mostly goats.
We had our hotel arrange for a car and driver to bring us in from Dubai. I would recommend doing that since trying to get a taxi back is difficult. The drive allowed us to see more of the country than just the high-rises of Dubai.

3  Thank iowacorn
Reviewed 23 December 2011

The camel souk is a rare opportunity to realize the importance of a strong, healthy animal to a desert way of life. So the steps in buying or mating one are taken very seriously as experienced when we visited this souk. We don't travel with a camera so we avoided the unpleasant scenes written by past reviewers! But, the first questions asked were..."Want photos?" and "Where is camera?". Once it was clear we were camera-free we were ignored and roamed everywhere quite freely.

1  Thank akachan21