“Just cages of animals, plenty of Arabs ask for money...”
Review of Camel Souk

and up
Al Ain Tour from Dubai
Ranked #9 of 51 things to do in Al Ain
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I've read few reviews before going there and didn't fall for the money for camel showing trick.
Its not easy to find, as its behind shopping centre and the animals are just in cages. Not sure if would recommend.

3  Thank Adam Z

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Try and go early in the morning when trading is at its busiest. If you are taking photos be prepared to offer a tip to the traders. They are very friendly people and will offer to show you round, again for a fee. Look out for the mobile "Fire Station" hilarious !

4  Thank Paul J
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The camel souk was the only thing we really enjoyed in Al Ain and I'm glad we hired a car in Abu Dhabi to come and see it. I guess we could have taken a bus tour, but then we would have been with the big group that must have spent all of around five minutes there.

If you're somebody who enjoys taking photographs, it's worth spending a little more than an hour there. The traders will have more than gotten used to you being there by then and will have stopped offering to show you their baby camels (for a fee, of course).

Common advice for visiting the camel souk seems to be to dress respectfully. The blonde girl in the strappy top and hot-pants gripping her partners hand appears not to have read anything about that, but she was in amongst the sea of 5-minute tourists, so I don't think she noticed the reactions. I don't know whether our more modest dress was what led to more interesting conversations with traders, but I expect it could have helped.

9  Thank masaccio
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Go early to see real commerce. I observed bartering for camels for a wedding feast. Be prepared to pay for the best photos. Typical set up "come see the baby!" then "o let me take your picture" then " give money". But it was so cool, I didn't mind leaving a little money for the local economy. Think primitive, smelly but very culturally accurate.

2  Thank FiddlerDoyle
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a great time there with the kids. I wanted to post where to find the camel market since it was difficult for us to find. You need to follow the instruction to go to Bawadi Mall. The Al Ain Central Market is behind the mall at the back of the market. There is about 100 camels there and others animals.

Having read the reviews here, we were able to negotiate a price before entering the cage. We offer 50 dirhams (15$) and one of them accept (the others said that we don't need to pay but we knew better and insisted for agreeing to a price). We were able to see a 1 day old camel.

4  Thank Zazoujoyeuse