“Noisy and just OK”

Trader Vics
Ranked #6 of 303 Restaurants in Al Ain
Cuisines: Polynesian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tader Vic's will bring to you the mystery and charm of the Pacific Rim. Sample amazing menu offers from South East Asia and the French Pacific region. Enjoy daily live musical entertainment with the resident band playing Latin and International tunes while sampling the best cocktails in all of Al Ain. Enjoy your food on the out door dining galleria or in the themed interior of the restaurant, it will be a most memorable occasion in any event. Try your Salsa dance skills every Wednesday during our busy Ladies night and show off you best side to friends and colleagues. See you there
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The menu is good, and some of the choices are very good. The atmosphere in this place creeps me out. It's too noisy to hold a conversation for this 50-ish American, owing to the loud drunks and the volume of the music. I ate at the adjoining Lebanese place outside, and that was spoiled too by the obnoxious drunks sitting outside of Trader Vics. I went into the restaurant three times thinking it was just an aberration, and left the last two because it was the same. Really, it's a big place. Semi-close off the 'non-smoking' section (still smoky) and pump up the volume in the bar if you have to, but not in the restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Trader Vics

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is not just a drinking bar! I love going here as you are guaranteed to meet interesting people. Dancing music and a great atmosphere. What more do you need? Food is a bit pricy and the drinks are inconsistent but when it works it is a great night out.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Trader Vics restaurants have been a Rotana Hotel staple for many years. The menu offers a predictable variety and the quality of the ingredients is pretty good. They also offer special menus at certain times of the year to promote a seasonal food item e.g. mushrooms, asparagus etc…

Remember this is Al Ain we're talking about and as far as restaurants go in Al Ain…this is about as good as it gets when it comes to international (Polynesian) food.

For the past two Xmases, 2012 and 2013, we have celebrated Xmas Eve dinner at Trader Vics. The Executive Chef creates a special Xmas set menu from which you choose your starter, followed by a palate cleansing sorbet, your main course and dessert. Coffee, tea, bottled water, wine, beer and alcohol are additional costs.

The Rotana Al Ain do make a huge effort to decorate the hotel and restaurants with Xmas decorations. The staff choir go around singing Xmas carols and the atmosphere is vibrant and happy.

Our first Xmas Eve dinner in 2012 was fantastic from beginning to end. The 'Traditional Turkey Roast' was served with sweet potato praline, ginger bread stuffing, cranberry marmalade and gravy. Dessert was Christmas pudding with dried fruit ice cream. I could not have done any better myself had I slaved away in the kitchen all day! Non alcoholic cocktails were served upon arrival. There was a harpist who played during dinner. Service was great…all very delightful.

However, Xmas Eve dinner 2013 was a huge let down. This time the turkey served was 'Turkey Lomi Lomi' which means it was a roulade of turkey stuffed with pistachio and prunes, topped with cranberry sauce. Dessert was Passion Vanilla Brûlée. Compared to the previous year's Xmas Eve dinner menu this was very disappointing.

On Xmas Day Zest restaurant is open and it offers a buffet selection of foods. I don't by and large enjoy the buffet style of food…although Zest is one of the better examples.

We have dined at Trader Vics on many occasions throughout the past two years we have lived in Al Ain. We have our favourite menu items which are always enjoyed and we rarely stray far from them.

My only other complaint about Trader Vics would be the people who smoke inside the restaurant. Being a non-smoker I find the second hand smoke spoils the enjoyment of the occasion for me. This seems to be an oft mentioned bugaboo for other reviewers too. The live music can turn conversation into a shouting match…when all I want to do is enjoy the company.

I do hope the Executive Chef reads my review and reverts back to the excellent Xmas Eve Menu in 2012. If you need a copy I still have mine Chef Thomeczek. My message would be 'If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.' Us expats know what we like and you had already achieved perfection.

I look forward to seeing what's on your Xmas Eve 2014 Dinner Menu at Trader Vics…inshallah. Another seven months to go so plenty of time to plan!! No pressure :)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Good food. You can eat in the restaurant, bar area or outside. Wine selection and service are also good. Music most nights.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great atmosphere and good service. Live band most nights I think. One of the better UAE branches of Trader Vics. Not to large and rowdy. Pretty good food and cocktails. Beats most of the other options in Al Ain.

1  Thank JJimBean