“Great escape from Dubai”

Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We rented a 2 Bedroom Villa with a small plunge pool for a family weekend getaway. We definitely got what we wanted which was a bit of escapism from our normal busy weekends and some quiet relaxation time together.

We've stayed before here and returned with very high expectations. As soon as we arrived, I remembered the crazy valet parking system that I am sure is on the priority list for a rethink. It appeared chaos to me but the guys happily took our car quite quickly and emptied the luggage. Maybe the system is perfect after all.

Check-in was swift and easy and we were soon transported to our villa by buggy. We were impressed with the amount of space in the villa and the facilities such as large fridge and upstairs balcony.

We chose to spend virtually the entire trip in and out of our pool and this was great - our nearly 2 year old loved it.

We had a couple of small niggles during the weekend but they are not worth mentioning in a review like this because it was much more important that our issues were taken on board by the hotel management and dealt with and this is exactly what happened. Also, I am sure the niggles were more because of circumstance than anything else and, reading other reviews, others have not had the same.

We left the hotel very happy with the service, having had a great weekend and likely to return later in 2014.

Finally, the weather was much better than Dubai - considerable less humid!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent family weekend getaway at The Cove Rotana Resort.

With pleasure we learnt that in general you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad to read that we were able to meet your expectations during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cove Rotana Resort in the near future.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have arrived back in the UK today having spent a blissful 10 days at the Cove Rotana. We both needed a break and that's exactly what we got! By day 3 we were as chilled as the Tequila Sunrise (s) served with smiles aplenty at the Sunset Bar and the Beach Bar. 7010 was cleaned daily by the ever pleasant housekeeper. I shall miss his beautiful greetings - a lovely man who, it must be said, has a touch of OCD! We're not complaining. Our bed was made daily (better than any bed I've ever laid in) and the bathroom was spotless with fresh clean towels also daily. The Life Guards and towel/sun bed staff were all (without exception) wonderful people and the buggy drivers (special mention here to Troy) were all absolutely marvelous. We could not find fault (not that we were looking, you understand) with any of the staff. I have read moans about the buggy delays on here. So what if you have to wait 10 minutes for a ride! You're on holiday - relax and take in the peace and quiet. To the restaurant and the plethora of tongue tantalizers that await you the moment you step inside and are greeted and taken to your table. Truly unbelievable and I cannot, for one moment, believe that there was ever a sitting (be it breakfast lunch or evening meal) that didn't offer at least a couple of dishes that you would happily eat. As with the buggies, though, we were dumbfounded to witness guests whingeing that they didn't like pasta or sea food! There was NEVER a time when just these 2 dishes were served. Good God, there was a curry option for breakfast! Honestly, some people don't deserve to stay at such a delightful resort. There are some people that moan for moanings sake. The staff in the restaurant work inordinately long hours. At one stage, I wondered whether Christine was indeed human! Always a smile; this chef seemed to be at every sitting on every day. To the beach now. If you are after a cooling dip in the ocean; forget it. The sea is so warm, it's as though you are stepping into a bath. Personally speaking, I found that quite wierd and so we tended to frequent the gorgeous infinity pool. There are 2 at the Cove Rotana - Sunset and Laguna. For us the atmosphere at the Sunset Pool was somehow more welcoming and we spent most days there. The 2 chaps behind the bar are both lovely; very polite and friendly. Finally, the people you will meet at the Cove Rotana. We've met some lovely people and, I hesitate to say this but feel I should, since this review is honesty personified, some downright rude people. We are English and we both made a conscious effort to dress appropriately and watch our language. My partner is fond of the odd profanity! He's not a lout, but he is a male who can sometimes be fond of 'colourful language :)) The one thing I cannot abide is rudeness and I did feel that the Arabs (and, yes, I am generalising here) were nothing short of blatantly and excessively bad mannered towards the staff. They would frequently break rules and we witnessed them ordering the staff around on numerous occasions. I found it quite distasteful and so I would ask any Arabs reading this review to look closely at themselves. The young life guard that assisted your son when he had difficulty in the pool deserved some thanks from you. He got nothing from you apart from your derision and you didn't apologise to the staff when they had to clear the pool of your sons vomit! You allowed your son to fool around in the pool and, as a consequence, he was ill. I suppose if I can offer one word of advice it would be to be careful when using the mini bar in your room. We got stung quite heavily but, hey, we've had a fantastic holiday! Will we return? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Because there is absolutely nothing happening here, I would suggest all accommodation would be suita...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiaf

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your sharing your wonderful experience with the Cove Rotana on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read your positive feedback on our hotel services and glad that you enjoyed the food and service.

I would like to thank you as well for your wonderful comments and your recognition of our colleagues, which I will ensure they receive.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Can only comment on the Friday brunch as staying at nearby Hilton. My husband and I visited for the Friday brunch- excellent value and standard! The location is beautiful and so is the hotel decor. The standard of food was exceptional. From our afternoon here have since looked at a future stay at the hotel. Cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lindsaylovestotravel

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your sharing your Friday Brunch dining experience at The Cove Rotana resort on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to read that you were pleased with our food and service. Your gracious comments will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards which you have experienced.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Went for a short week-end with friends to this property.

I booked a 3 bedroom premium sea view villa. (V108). Price was around 5000 AED / night (USD1360).

Arrival and check-in: Entrance to the hotel is only one lane (used to enter and exit) with only few car spaces in front of check in reception. Practically this means that around 1pm-3pm it's more or less a huge mess with cars waiting to enter for a good 10-15min. Once you have reached the reception there are 2 separate check-in areas. One for villas, one for rooms. It took another good 25min wait to get to the villa reception counter. We were shown a map of the resort and we picked our villa. It was around 2pm and the villa was not ready (check in is 3pm) so we went for lunch and came back. When we came back at 3:30pm they mentioned they had changed our villa to another one as our villa was still not ready. They had my number but did not call me to mention the swap. I refused such swap and asked for the first villa I picked. It took another hour and a half to get. That is close to 5pm if you do the maths. When I reached the villa I was quite impatient.

The villa: We got to the villa and it was not yet quite ready with a few cleaning crew members terminating the job more or less in a hurry. I will upload some pics so you visualize the place. In terms of square footage its quite huge. It's however weirdly arranged. Downstairs there is one bedroom + separate living room with open kitchen (bedroom is probably larger than living room) and another bedroom with a large living area. Upstairs another large room with terrace. This feels quite big, however the "common area" is relatively small for 6 ppl (maybe 25-30 sqm)? with very limited appliances (that is cheap and ugly furniture, small tv, cheap kettle, basic fridge and a cheap electrical stove which you are not authorized to use! Then why even have it one would say!?).

The villa terrace and plunge pool: This is a 3 bedroom villa accomodating 6 ppl however you will only find two sunbeds. Since there is no beach towel anyway you might want to stay in the plunge pool. That would be a big mistake, not only there were a bunch of long hair in the pool (see pic), but if you are brave enough to go in it you might be surprised. They put in so much chemicals that my ralph lauren swimsuit went from dark blue to pale light blue (I'm just mentioning the brand so you might guess it was decent quality). After that you might want to head to the main pools or the beach.

The main pools and the beach: You can go to one of the two common pools. Finding a chair however is a privilege. It looks like this is a rare commodity in this hotel so not only there are only two on your private terrace, there are not so many as well around the pool. As we couldn't find a spot we then went to the beach which had - I recognize - plenty of chairs. Great news.
The beach has average sand quality, they also warn you about a bunch of sting rays roaming around. They might as well do that as the water is very very shallow, Even Tyrion Lannister could walk half a mile without having to swim.

Staff and services: In the Gulf, hotels often use Asian staff as they are cheaper. When it's a 5* (yes this is a 5* actually) they try to blend it with European staff especially for client facing ones (it can prove useful to have English speaking staff). There, not so much. Hence you might want to be patient when explaining things over the phone. For instance when I called to explain water was dripping off my AC. They first had to send an engineer (translation: someone with hands) that came to repair AC not working (30 min) then he realized AC was working (10min) and humidity / condensation was likely the issue. Then he came back (20 min) with a ladder and tissues to fix it. Ingenious engineer.
They also have limited buggies so if your room is high up on the hill, good luck coming back from the beach :) Saw a few families struggling with the hike in the heat. Good exercise though.

The bottom line: yuk!

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are likely better :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank NiQoLa
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Cove Rotana Resort - Ras Al Khaimah and for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us.

Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay, indeed it is disturbing and indeed it is not our usual high standard. Be assured that each point was discussed with our department Heads for further improvement and to avoid re-occurrence.

We sincerely hope that this will not deter you from coming back again to the Cove Rotana Resort and giving us another chance to recuperate from our shortcomings.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Rotana chain of hotels is the best for budgeted family. You will have great time get a good service with excellent price.

Our holidey was for One night in specious Villa that accommodate a family of five (2 adults 3 children’s).

Staff in this resort rarely smiles and takes time to get what you need. The breakfast in Cinnamon restaurant was rich buffet, although the staff were lazy.

Our Kidz had great time, in the kids club.

The hotel facilities are great but hope the staff get training to be professional.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to read your general positive feedback on our hotel facilities and services. We were glad that you enjoyed the food in Cinnamon Restaurant and your kids had a great time in Flippers Kids Club.

Please be assured that the issues related to the responsiveness of our employees has been discussed with the concerned department head and training manager for immediate action.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and look forward to welcoming you back to The Cove Rotana Resort in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

To,

the General Manager
Cove Rotana - RAK

I have your property stay voucher for 3 night stay at Cove Rotana & have been trying to get a weekend booking from past so many days through mails with the reservation executive of yours however despite my preferred dates being available as I had called n checked your property n also its showing the availability on your booking website & also in Trip advisor site, still you guyz are sending me mails mentioning its not available & asking me to shift my preferred weekend dates to a week day.

dates preffered: check in 19th - check out 22nd June or 26-29th June

This is unacceptable, unprofessional & cheating by your company part. Just because its a voucher based booking you cannot give lesser importance to the booking.

If this is the sort of service standard of your hotel/group...regret to say of so then the customer service offered is pathetic & u guys are utterly unprofessional in your approach. just to earn your weekends you do not wish to honor the booking request given. wheres the voucher issued by you doesn't mention that you cannot book it on a weekend. if you do not wish to fulfill the voucher you have provided then do not give it to customers to cause such inconvenience,

I would like to have a revert from you on this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anuraj N

Dear Mr. Anuraj,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to share your feedback on the TripAdvisor.

We have investigated the matter and found that you have been contacted by our Reservations Manager who clarified the terms and conditions as stated on the voucher.

I will contact you personally to clarify this further and we do look forward to welcoming you to The Cove Rotana Resort in the near future.

With regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Am a loyal rotana customer for more than 10 years and I have rotana memnership sinve 2006, I stayed in thus hotel for onr night on 30th of may.

This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever been too, we hade problems from the moment we arrived, valets is a mess, room service is bad, operator dont answer the phone at night, room AC is bad and check out cointers just added the salt to the wond.

I registered complaints at the reception normally rotana calls back to check and apologies, well this hotel management seems careless about customer satisfaction

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sulaiman A
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Cove Rotana.

With much regret I learnt that your stay was not entirely a satisfactory one. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and be assured that each point was discussed with our Department Heads to avoid re-occurrence. I can assure that the service you experienced is not up to our usual high standard. We aim to provide the best possible service and not only meet, but even exceed the guests’ expectations.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies, and I do hope to welcome you back to convince you of our otherwise fine service.