“Beautiful location with some teething problems”

Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed 22 February 2010

The hotel is amazing - the views and the concept are superb. However, like so much else in the Emirates and the Gulf countries, the glitz and glamour soon fades to reveal the lack of substance.

I got an upgrade from a regular room to a 1 bedroom villa on the lagoon, which I cannot complain about. The views from the room were amazing and I would love to come back here with my wife for a romantic long weekend. The villa was comfortable and well laid out, and not over the top. It also had a nice balcony from the mezzanine level bedroom and a large terrace leading from the lounge, both offering incredible views. The resort has a relaxed and comfortable/luxurious feel, without being stuffy and pretentious.

The drawback to being located at the lagoon is that it is a mission getting up the hill to reception, the car park, the coffee shop, and the restaurants. You need to call for a pick-up which takes at least 10 minutes to arrive. That said, the staff are always pleasant and eager to help when they do arrive.

The staff at the restaurants are attentive and well trained but it is very difficult to get their attention when the restaurants get busy. There just don’t seem to be enough staff to cover the restaurants when they get busy.

Price of the food is normal for a resort of this type and the quality is a 4 out of 5. Accommodation costs are steep though – a regular room runs over $300 a night before taxes (10%) and surcharges (an additional 10%). I shudder to think what the 1 bedroom villa cost. So, hardly value for money.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank DublinCityCruiser
There are newer reviews for Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah

Reviewed 16 February 2010

I stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at the Cove Rotana. The villa has its own pool and small garden. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spacious.

The food was good in both two restaurants. The Friday brunch was extra special in the Cinamon restaurant as they offered a large variety of all foods plus fresh oysters. The Basilico restaurant had a lovely cozy ambience and offered an a la carte menu option.

The staff were friendly and attentive. The beach was amazing with massages on offer in tents on the beach. There were a number of small poolside bars both on the beach and at the pool which served snacks and drinks. A great way to relax after spending the day on the beach.

I have stayed at the Cove Rotana twice before and each time my stay was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel to all - its great for singles and families alike.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2010

My husband and I chose the Cove Rotana for our first wedding anniversary. We were hoping for a romantic leisurely escape. We did have a good time but were left feeling extremely dissatisfied with the hotel. We went all-out and rented a villa rather than a room but were dissapointed when we found no bathtub and no wireless internet (although we were told there would be wireless). We settled in and decided to treat ourselves to some chocolate dates from the minibar. We opened the package and found that they were spoiled. Rather than risk opening anything else from the minbar, we called housekeeping and ordered a box of chocolates and explained the situation with the dates. They replaced the dates in the minibar but did not check any of the other items.

I decided to take a shower and after about 5 minutes the water began to go cold and the shower began to overflow because the drain was blocked. I was standing ankle deep in dirty water. I had to turn off the shower so that it wouldnt overflow all over the bathroom floor.

Sitting down to eat, we decided to order the Valentines in-room special which was an arabic grill. At first, when we called, the staff did not seem to know what we were talking about although we were ordering from a flyer we found in our villa. After explaining, my husband asked for a nice, romantic table set-up. He also asked for the complimentary chocolate cake we had been offered due to our anniversary. The food was brought and was just left on the table although my husband asked them again to set it up nicely. There was no presentation, no candlelight, it was just like regular room service. The cake turned out to be a 5cm tiramisu, just enough for one person and not chocolate as we had chosen. The salads and dips were very nice but the grill itself was honestly inedible. It was tough and dry and one of the most poorly prepared meals I have ever been served. I stuck to the salads and my husband, who usually loves meat only ate a couple of pieces of it.

Before bed i decided to take another shower, and while it drained a bit better (since my husband had tried himeslf to unblock the drain when he took a shower) it went stone cold in less than 10 min. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. The breakfast buffet in the morning was good. We went for a massage after check-out and this was very nice although the spa is located under the reception area and I could constantly hear footsteps and dragging chairs or tables.

Altogether we had a good time although it would have been much nicer without regular frustrations and small dissapointments which should not have occured in a 5-star hotel, especially with the 5-star rates that we were paying. The setting is lovely and the rooms are nice but there seems to be little or no attention to detail. While we were trying to maintain a romantic atmosphere on our special occasion we felt that the hotel was spoiling the mood rather than setting it. I would certainly not pay those prices to stay there again and would not recommend anyone else to do so.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lucymcm
Reviewed 13 February 2010

I selected this resort based on some reviews I read in TripAdvisor. I wasn't disapointed with my stay. We took the 2 bedrooms villa which was a bit pricy for the furniture quality but the ocean view was beautiful as well as the private swiming pool in the villa.
The service was good and the food at the Cinamon restaurant was great. My kids enjoyed the beach where we spent most of our days. Overall, we spent a wonderful 4 days away from noisy Dubai where we live.

One last comment though and it's not about the hotel itself but rather about the guests who were mainly from Europe. I noticed that they were not used to see covered women which is the culture in this part of the world. They were staring at the locals in an unmannered way. One would think that before a tourist decides to visit a place especially if it's not located in the western hemisphere, he/she would do a blind Google search to know the basics about the country they are going to. And in case they don't care, they should at least behave when they are someone's guests!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2010

This hotel looks great! The location and layout is like a village in Spain and for a weekend away from Dubai you actually feel as if you have left the UAE! I liked the fact your car was parked and you were then driven to your villa in a golf buggy. The villas and rooms and well spread over the hillside and down to the sea and the golf buggys operate an on call taxi service between the villas and the main complex and beach.

We booked a two bedroom villa over the weekend and these are spacious with a courtyard and plunge pool. The furnishings and fittings are much more simple and sparse than I would expect in a 5 star hotel. There is a kitchen with lots of empty cupboards and two hotplates for cooking but no microwave and be warned no kitchen crockery is provided nor can it be supplied, we checked with housekeeping. So make sure you bring your own if you want to use the kitchen for anything more than making tea or coffee.

Gardening work including noisy mechanical equipment began outside our villa at 6.30 on Boxing Day morning which I found strange as it was the busy weekend period and I am sure a few days later the hotel would have been much quieter.

The concept is great but I did feel as if I was staying in a pleasant four star holiday house but paying five star hotel prices.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2010

The Cove Rotana Resport is a beautiful hotel with generously-sized rooms and everything you need for a relaxing stay. However, the service both in restaurant, room or reception desk are slow.
Like in most Arabic countries, men are responsible for house-keeping and restaurant service - maybe that explains the lack of an eye for dirt, used glasses, missing milk, jam or what ever you can think of. Nevertheless I expected more of a 5* hotel with excellent reviews. Furthermore we had to change our rooms right away upon arrival due to an unbearable stench from the A/C. It took the service team a few hours to move us and didn't without complaining.

The resort has for a hotel an excellent gym which is especially in the mornings perfect to work out.

The private beach is spacious and gives you enough privacy from your sunbed neighbors. However it is full of pebbles or bigger stones, sea shells, glass and trash that some other tourists were to lazy to take to the bin. Fascinating is the fauna at the beach and in the lagoons. From fish over crabs, jelly fish or octopus, even rays and many sea-stars - everything's right there.

Overall it is a nice place with not much going on.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Went here in the half term holidays oct 09. I cannot imagine i will holiday anywhere else from now on!! The weather was obviously superb and we stayed in a one bedroom villa literally 2 mins walk from the most fantastic beach ever, with amazing comfortable sunloungers. The villa itself was spotless, the attention to detail was unbelievable and each evening a member of staff would call to ask if we needed anything. On the complex were several restaurants which were all fabulous, the selection and quality of food I could not fault. If you were intending to sightsee I would definately recommend hiring a car, however there is everything on the complex for a totally relaxing and enjoyable holiday with the only downside being the price of alcohol.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple